Calling all MIDI headz

Author
Nitro
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2005/12/07 15:58:52 (permalink)

Calling all MIDI headz

Ok so i've decided to delve into the world of midi. I'm a total n00b at midi (and many other things *shrugs*) but I think I have a good starting point. The story so far:

- I have installed the Komplete Native Instruments 2 suite
- I can trigger sounds and play them using my keyboard (synth)
- Can record using Cakewalk (Sonar 4 to be precise)

Now here's the deal, when I record, Sonar takesover the midi channel and listens for the signal. I start a new midi track and arm it. When I start recording, I play my keyboard and I can see it recording the standard midi blips and beeps. Now the issue, I can't hear it while I record, nor can I hear it on playback. Now I know you guys are going to be like: "Duh! you can't hear midi dumbass!" So herein lies the missing link, how do I get cakewalk to play my sound while I record/playback? I suspect it has something to do with telling Cakewalk about the instrument and loading it on the track but I simply don't know how to do that.

So kind of a round about way to ask, how do i get Sonar to iterface with my VST software properly for recording purposes? I would hate to have to record the tracks as analog because of my lack of knowledge.

3 Replies Related Threads

SH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 942
    RE: Calling all MIDI headz 2005/12/07 20:15:47 (permalink)
    I think I know what you're asking...

I found the easiest way is to INSERT / SOFT SYNTHS... (if using v5) or INSERT / Dxi SYNTH... (if using v4).
    From the soft synth insert dialog box, select first two options (MIDI source and First Audio Out).
    These two track with automatically be linked together. Be sure to select the input of the synth (audio track) to something because the default may be null. After recording the MIDI, FREEZE it then play back the audio.
    rallenjones
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 823
    RE: Calling all MIDI headz 2005/12/07 20:55:46 (permalink)
    Look on the MIDI track. Right after the red record button, there is a little button with some arrows on it. Click on it and it will turn green (or yellow). Then you will hear your MIDI play. And, yes, it is in the manual.
    Nitro
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Calling all MIDI headz 2005/12/08 15:27:42 (permalink)
    Cheers. I think that combined, your responses have given me what i was looking for. I'll give it a try after work. Thanks much.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1