Sonar 5 or some other Cakewalk product suggestions?

Author
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
2005/12/08 13:33:13 (permalink)

Sonar 5 or some other Cakewalk product suggestions?

Ok, I bit the bullet last night (shortly after agonizing over the poor singing of a client) and ordered the Sonar 5 PE upgrade. I'm looking forward to playing with the convolution reverb and the V-Vocal plugin. That's great for me, and it should be fun.

Came in to work my dayjob, and received a question from a musician friend who's considering buying Sonar Home Studio XL for his home recording needs. Admittedly, this package will STILL be more than he needs at this time, but he has one question: Does Sonar Home Studio XL easy to use have drum track capabilities? I know the short answer is yes, you can program up all the MIDI tracks you'd like, but I don't use Sonar for this (ever!) so I'm not sure it's the right tool for his needs.

All he wants to do is make up drum parts to go along with his guitar parts and bass lines. Is there something in the Cakewalk line that would allow him to easily create drum tracks and also record audio? This line from the online features description leads me to believe it'll do what he needs, but I'd hate to steer him wrong: "Paint MIDI drum tracks with rhythmic pattern brush".

Thanks for you help, everyone... probably a silly question to post here, but I'm out of my element when we start talking MIDI-anything.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!

2 Replies Related Threads

Milt
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 781
    RE: Sonar 5 or some other Cakewalk product suggestions? 2005/12/08 13:41:27 (permalink)
    Pattern brush is good, but Session drummer will probably be exactly what your friend is looking for. Comes with a bunch of styles and feels, and you can add more as you want. Also, the softsynths that will come with Home Studio have good enough drum sounds to more than get him started.
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Sonar 5 or some other Cakewalk product suggestions? 2005/12/08 14:04:24 (permalink)
    Thanks, Milt! That's what I needed to know!

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1