some new tunes for critique

Author
cason
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2005/12/08 18:46:10 (permalink)

some new tunes for critique

I'd posted these on myspace earlier in the week, I guess that didn't work for some.

The link below is soundclick, if you have the time listen and let me know what you think...

All done on the trusty old gtp2

dichotomia

6 Replies Related Threads

pcmodeler
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: some new tunes for critique 2005/12/09 15:19:36 (permalink)
    Well, composition-wise, your stuff has an interesting vibe. Some neat musical ideas. Recording-wise, I think your system might be bass lite so you are overcompensating and turning up the bass. Nearly blowing my speakers/sub on some of the tunes (Samson system). Performance-wise, you may want to sit down with a metronome as the playing is a bit sloppy at times.

I hope I'm not sounding harsh. I think the music itself has promise, just need to work on those other two things.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: some new tunes for critique 2005/12/09 15:32:12 (permalink)
    I agree with pcmodeler, some unique musical ideas, but you seem to have trouble keeping with the drums. I have a really hard time following some of the parts due to that fact.
    Work on the timing issues and you have a good original sound though.
    cason
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: some new tunes for critique 2005/12/09 21:31:33 (permalink)
    thanks pcm and jamz,

i appreciate the feedback, i've read a little about using a spectrum analyzer... that might cure my bad ear when it comes to too much bass... i think also having someone else involved would be the most profitable, you can get so close to something that you can't hear it anymore.

yea, my sloppy playing... I have a tendency to rush everything and rarely redo stuff that I know if I took my time on I could play much better... knowing it's that noticeable will make me work a bit harder

thanks again, KC
    pcmodeler
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: some new tunes for critique 2005/12/10 07:28:10 (permalink)
    Well, a spectrum analyzer isn't really what you're looking for here. What you need to do is burn you mix to cd and try it on other systems and use your ear. If you listen on other systems you get an idea of what is wrong with your system. Also, play stuff on your computer system (CD's of your favorite band) and try to make your stuff sound like that.
    GreenStang511
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: some new tunes for critique 2005/12/10 08:41:40 (permalink)
    I had to jump in here....also, you need to redo parts. They say the hardest part of recording is first having a song complete to record and then playing it well. I know you can fix a lot of stuff these days in the mix, but the best approach is to nail the parts the best you can! In this current issue of Guitar Player, the guy from the cars says this very well. I kinda approach it like this. Take after, take, after take....guess I'm anal that way.
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: some new tunes for critique 2005/12/10 12:45:13 (permalink)
    the guy from the cars says this very well. I kinda approach it like this. Take after, take, after take....guess I'm anal that way.

This is the key to good sounding tracks.
    Those few times when a first take is the best, are not the norm at all!
    Do it till it's perfect, and then, and only then, move to the next track, and don't be afraid to re-record a track that is infecting the rest of the mix. Try muting individual tracks to see if they are making a legitimate contribution. If not, DELETE THEM!
    It's the chain effect, the weakest link determines the strength, and if the weakest link is the drums.... You're screwed before you start!
    I'm guilty also! Sometimes the urgency to get an idea down, is very strong, and I rush things. Going back, and redoing tracks has been the difference from the early recordings I did.
    There are a lot of important things to getting a really good recording.
    If it was easy, anyone could do it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1