Moving clips back and forth from Sonar to Project5

Author
yep
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4057
2005/12/08 20:45:37 (permalink)

Moving clips back and forth from Sonar to Project5

Here's a stupid question:

What's the easiest way to move a groove clip from Sonar 5 into Project5 V2? It seems like there should be an easy, drag-and-drop-ish way to move clips back and forth, I think...

I'm pretty new to P5, but I'm starting to dig it for composition purposes. I've been playing around a bit with creating arangements using loops and such within P5 and then rewiring into Sonar to do the full-blown recording and mixing, etc. I like working in P5 because it's so simple and easy to deal with for the basics of song structure.

This has put a notion into my head of going back to some of my old sonar projects that had promise but never really went anywhere. You know, the ones that have like 80 sections of overblown, overly "written in the studio"-sounding stuff with twenty variations of every riff and half-baked string sections and a meandering 25-bar bridge that is supposed to somehow achieve a natural transition between a reggae-feel verse and 5/8 speed-metal chorus or whatever goofy idea seemed good at the time... the kind of song that is an overall disaster but with some really good ideas, far less than the sum of its parts.

It seems like P5's groove matrix would be perfect for taming such a beast, but I can't find an easy way to get all those riffs, loops, and audio clips to move back and forth between Sonar and P5.

Sorry if this is covered in the help somewhere, I looked, honest, but I'm better at audio than I am at software and I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

1 Reply Related Threads

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Moving clips back and forth from Sonar to Project5 2005/12/08 21:19:39 (permalink)
    In Project 5, there is a Loop/pattern area, well that's the sharing place for Project 5 and Sonar. This is what I do, I Place all of my audio files, midi files, and patterns in a central location. Project 5 will find these files when you click on the explore button, select the folder that contain your acidized, riff, wav, files. also your patterns, and the like. after you select this folder, (highlight it), click the "Create shortcut" button and give it a name so you can remember these file types. I call my audio files, AUDIO. Easy enough, huh.

Now when you either create a riff file or save a new wav file from one of those magazine CDs, you can save it to the audio folder so Project 5 and Sonar can use it. In Sonar > Options > Global > Folders tab, set the wave path to the new audio folder that contains all of your audio files.

TIP: Sonar can use Project 5 Patterns, so use them on a midi track that is used with a DXI synth.

I hope this helps,

Peace

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1