MBox2

Author
Ed from Oceanside CA
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/12/09 02:22:56 (permalink)

MBox2

Hello,

My name is Ed and I am a new member to this forum. This is my very first posting. I have been using Sonar for several years. I do not consider myself to be very good at it since I have not had much time to study it. I use it mainly for audio digital recording and I have the basic skills to record various tracks and make an ok CD.

I have been performing in an oldies rock and roll band for many years in Southern California and now am getting more into the recording arena. I really have a good time recording and find it to be a great opportunity to be creative.

I have taken a few courses at a local community college in the recording arts and audio digital recording. I am learning slowly but it seems like they only care about Protools. I recently completed a course in Protools and I find it much more difficult to utilize than the Sonar 4.0 that I possess. Additionally, I prefer Sonar's plug ins and believe that Sonar offers much more bang for the buck.

I just purchased the MBOX 2 with the accompanying Protools LE and ignition package for the class I attended. It seems to work well with my new HP L2000 Special Edition laptop by merely plugging it into my usb port. I want to use the MBOX 2 with Sonar 4.0 but it doesn't seem to work.

My question is this: Do I need a special driver? If so, which one and where do I get it?

I am excited to be a part of this forum and look forward to communicating with many of you. I realize how much I don't know and would appreciate any assistance I could receive from you. Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Ed

13 Replies Related Threads

jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/10 01:22:24 (permalink)
    Hi Ed,
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question. I checked out the manual for the MBox2 and it looks like it's designed specifically to work with ProTools LE. There might not be any drivers available to make it work with Sonar. Sorry to say it but this is the way Digidesign operates. They make software specific hardware and sometimes getting it to work with other software is very difficult.

You asked your question so nicely I felt compelled to check and see if I could find an answer, and maybe with this bump someone else with more knowledge than I might respond. At any rate you are lucky to be in Oceanside; I like that town and have family on the Pala Reservation, just up HWY 76 from you. In fact my wife and I are talking about moving back to California just to be closer to them. You are definitely going about matters in the right way, furthering your education, and now maybe you might be thinking about buying a different audio interface so you can get up and running in Sonar. I have the Echo Layla 3G and think it is a pretty good unit. I also have the PreSonus Firepod which I don't like so much so I only use it with my laptop, and a PODXT which works pretty well as an interface if you combine it with a Midi interface (I use MOTU Midi Express). I even still have this old Aarvark USB3 that I used to use when I was running Cakewalk ProAudio 9 back in the day, and it is still serviceable though limited in sample and bit rate.

I won't waste anymore of your time, but encourage you to keep pursuing the use of Sonar because I think it is going places that ProTools won't consider, and gives the independent musician more options especially now with 64bit processing and the awesome new plugins.

Paul
    bvds
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/10 02:30:06 (permalink)
    IT WORKS you must use the asio driver of ptle
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/10 10:26:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ed from Oceanside CA

Hello,

My name is Ed and I am a new member to this forum. This is my very first posting. I have been using Sonar for several years. I do not consider myself to be very good at it since I have not had much time to study it. I use it mainly for audio digital recording and I have the basic skills to record various tracks and make an ok CD.

I have been performing in an oldies rock and roll band for many years in Southern California and now am getting more into the recording arena. I really have a good time recording and find it to be a great opportunity to be creative.

I have taken a few courses at a local community college in the recording arts and audio digital recording. I am learning slowly but it seems like they only care about Protools. I recently completed a course in Protools and I find it much more difficult to utilize than the Sonar 4.0 that I possess. Additionally, I prefer Sonar's plug ins and believe that Sonar offers much more bang for the buck.

I just purchased the MBOX 2 with the accompanying Protools LE and ignition package for the class I attended. It seems to work well with my new HP L2000 Special Edition laptop by merely plugging it into my usb port. I want to use the MBOX 2 with Sonar 4.0 but it doesn't seem to work.

My question is this: Do I need a special driver? If so, which one and where do I get it?

I am excited to be a part of this forum and look forward to communicating with many of you. I realize how much I don't know and would appreciate any assistance I could receive from you. Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Ed

Hi Ed,

I can't speak for the mboxII -- But I do know this ... That the first mbox they released does not run or work very well the windows xp Servive pack 2. When I was first shopping and reaserching what daw system to get..... I found out that no matter what.... if you have sp2 you had to go back to service pack I --- I am glad I didn't go that rout with protools le and the mbox --- however, it is possible that the mboxII may be ok with xpsp2 -- I would do a google search, or talk to someone who might know at a dealer to find out if they fixed that problem -- personally I think the tascam us-122 interface is way better than mbox, and i have had no problems with mine

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

neonknight
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 05:46:12 (permalink)
    it's true that it didn't work, but later on they released an update and it was safe to use SP2 and MBox together

one more thing
    It seems that the whole LE production from Digidiesign is making losses..I heard this from someone who deals with Digidiesign on a regular basis
    no wonder, look at the rival products in this price range and it will make sense...Focusrite Saffire for example...

bvds
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 06:00:25 (permalink)
    ptle 6.9 works fine with sp2 and reason,cubase,sonar etc
    when you don't kwow how it works then say nothing
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 06:20:24 (permalink)
    They say people in Glass Houses shouldn't throw rocks!

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    neonknight
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 06:30:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bvds

hmmmm...was this directed to me?
    I bought MBOX and than later on exchanged it for Digi002R. At that time I believe PTLE was at version 6.7
    And Digidesign said that they were testing SP2 and that people should not upgrade to SP2 until they approve it...
    I used Digidesign ASIO drivers in Sonar and yes everything worked fine, just like you say, but you have obviously failed to see what I was trying to say
    anyway, a couple of weeks later they released the patch and it was safe to install SP2
    ...in the meantime I sold the Digi002 R and bought MOTU 828 MKII
    so , obviously , I know what I am talking about...it seems to me that you are the one who is not well informed
    Instead of being a smartass, think before you post

edit:
    you are talking about PTLE 6.9 , so obviously you don't know what was happening at version 6.7
    I don't blame you, but when you don't know something, don't post
    I was referring to the original version of MBOX, as someone had mentioned it eralier in the thread and I just wanted to say that it was true that there were some problems
    But you are probably just an ignorant newbie who learned about PT and Sonar a couple of days ago and thinks he knows everything
    post edited by neonknight - 2005/12/11 06:33:37

Mooch4056
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 09:17:49 (permalink)

wasn't talking about ptle -- I was talking about the mbox and driver compatabilty .........and my experience with it

bvds
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 09:19:50 (permalink)
    But you are probably just an ignorant newbie who learned about PT and Sonar a couple of days ago and thinks he knows everything

YES i'am 46 years old and started yesterday
    Mooch4056
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 09:22:23 (permalink)

hmmmm...was this directed to me?

he was directing it at one of us -- either way he was rude ........any rate I am ignoring him from now on.....ahhh brings me back 25 years ago when I was in Jr. High though ....It was good........I knew everything back then AND didnt have the bills I have now -- anyway --Iam done before it turns into summin even more childish
    post edited by Mooch4056 - 2005/12/11 09:27:39

BruceEnnis
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 12:58:45 (permalink)
    I don't have an Mbox2 but I do have a Mbox1 and 2 Digi 002R's and they all work quite well just use the ASIO driver support in Sonar.

Bruce Ennis
    Studio
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/11 18:56:34 (permalink)
    both the MBox 1 and 2 ASIO drivers work just fine with Sonar. You may have to playaround
    with the buffer size .. but they work.

jeff
    ps: on sp2 as well
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: MBox2 2005/12/12 01:08:46 (permalink)
    Okay Ed,
    You have your answer. MBox2 works with ASIO drivers. All you have to do is hook it up to your computer with a USB cable, and install with ASIO drivers. There should be a CD that comes with the unit and it should have the drivers on it, or alternately Digidesign might have the correct drivers available on their website for download. Once that is done properly your MBOX2 should be available as an audio interface for Sonar. Open up Sonar and select Options/Audio and put in your settings. If you need help with your settings just ask.

Paul
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1