is this possible in p5????

Author
vinny199
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 218
2005/12/09 08:12:43 (permalink)

is this possible in p5????

ok,

I know you'll find this crazy and ask "why the hell do you want to do that for?" so i'll explain first..

I'm making backing tapes (DAT, the old way..) to playback live with stuff on it that we can't play / reproduce ourselves.

I'm bouncing everything to the left chanel (as a mono file) and on the right chanel, I put a click track, so live, I send the click to the drummer, and the music to the PA.

i've been making my own clikc out of a drum pluggin, but what I'd love to do is bounce to track p5 click!

everytime I tried, it's not worked.

Is there a way I could "record" the click as a .wav?

that would be great,

Cheers,

V.

Cheers,

Vinny
http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
Motu ultralite (firewire)

7 Replies Related Threads

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/09 08:25:47 (permalink)
    one way that will work is to rewire an empty p5 project with the metronome turned on and play engaged into sonar or some other host and bounce to track.
    crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/09 09:02:20 (permalink)
    vinny,

If I understand what you are saying there are many ways to do it. The easy way you suggested I dont think is one of them. I use adobe audition which is great for capturing audio. A sound card with input monitoring I think would be useful, when recording to and listening to P5. But On a very basic level, you can record anything that comes out of your pc, and hopefully you can send that back into your pc and record P5. Does that help? good luck

DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/09 11:22:36 (permalink)
    Assuming you're just using P5......

If you are bouncing all your music tracks to the left, you could create a pattern using Velocity that just does the click duties and hard pan that to the right.
    crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/09 14:12:05 (permalink)
    DD4 makes a great point. You could just play a note right where the click would be ( a real short pattern that is in time with the measure). You could even customize it for your drummer. Ask him what he would like (hi hat, shaker, lady screaming, whatever floats his boat) If its a wav you can assign it to a velocity pad.

just a thought.....

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/09 17:13:41 (permalink)
    what I'd love to do is bounce to track p5 click!
    CT's on the right [track]. I've done this before (accidentally) over mLan. Probably a controlled feedback loop that bled a little of the output back to a virtual input. I had a helluva time getting rid of it at the time, but for you, Vinny, I can try to reproduce that.
    I don't see why you couldn't attempt that with any mixer, but be careful. Controlled feedback=good. Runaway uncontrolled feedback=not so good (but it sounds so cool!).

Here's another way. The default setting is a "pure tone"; probably very close to a sine wave. Press the Sound Forge Tools ->Synthesis -> Simple into duty, or it might be even easier using a sampler, like the DS or Dimension. Each tone last 60 (of 960) MIDI ticks for every "beat", at a MIDI velocity of 100. Use a C8 for the first beat, and a G#7 for the rest. [Uses Project5's MIDI octave convention. A SF approach will have you reaching for a frequency-to-MIDI Note chart.] They're both dropped a relative -6dB from P5's 0.0 db level.

So, you either trigger a pattern of the proper MIDI notes, or make an audio clip of the sine tones. Store the pattern for reuse later. HTH
    vinny199
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/10 09:32:16 (permalink)
    Thank you all!

All very helpful, and yes, I can:

1/ record the click back in as suggested by crabtwins (which is what I'll probably do from now on)

or

2/ Create a metronome pattern as DayDrumFour suggests.

This is what i've been doing up to now using BFD but I like the sound of the P5 click (so does my drummer) and I was wondering:

If I create a pattern, do you guys have any idea in which sound module / each note / sounds P5 uses to create the click sounds?

that would be ideal as I can then use the bounce feature rather than recording back in (which with my set up is a little bit of a pain)

Cheers guys,

Cheers,

Vinny
    http://www.vinnypiana.co.uk/

X1d expanded
    PC i7, win 7 x64, 2.8 ghz; 12 gig ram
    Motu ultralite (firewire)
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: is this possible in p5???? 2005/12/10 09:43:39 (permalink)
    have any idea in which sound module / each note / sounds P5 uses to create the click sounds?
    It's generated internally; no accessible sound module.

I just loaded up the sine.wav from Dimension's 00 - Wavetables and played it in (using the notes indicated in the reply above). Evidently, P5's "pure tone" isn't so pure. You might try some of the other sine*.wav variations, or add a little more level/attack to Dimension. Maybe mung up the sine.wav file in z3ta+, and resave it as a "not-so-pure" sine .wav variation.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1