lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb??

Author
knowted
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
2005/12/10 11:06:16 (permalink)

lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb??

don't mean ta pick on you guys but it seems you cats are on this forum allot and maybe can offer help- see post i did 12/2/05--let me give some more info on the situation--i'll be playin some chordsand lines together and repeatin 'em and it'll sound fine then all of sudden one of the notes don't play- could be any one of them-i've played around with the polyphony-still no luck!! doesn't make for good music!!! and gettin frustrated--any iders??? thanx for time & effort

no mam-- we're musicians Blues Bros.

10 Replies Related Threads

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/10 11:34:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: knowted

don't mean ta pick on you guys but it seems you cats are on this forum allot and maybe can offer help- see post i did 12/2/05--let me give some more info on the situation--i'll be playin some chordsand lines together and repeatin 'em and it'll sound fine then all of sudden one of the notes don't play- could be any one of them-i've played around with the polyphony-still no luck!! doesn't make for good music!!! and gettin frustrated--any iders??? thanx for time & effort

hiya--- experiencing drop out in dimension at 16 bit 44.1 33ms--any suggests? also --i have external hd, do i uninstall p5v2 and sonar4 on my C drive and install them to my F (ext hd)--can i have 2 instances of them runnin at the same time??-one on my C drive and one on my F???? is it better to open p5 in sonar??

Ok, what sound card, what drivers (WDM,ASIO,etc.), other comp specs. These are very important as troubleshooting data.

You can definitely have more than one instance of Dimension running within P5, no problem. You can't (shouldn't) have more than one instance of P5 running (I would imagine, never tried it.)

I don't see how rewiring P5 to Sonar might help (though you never know), but you might try the same operation natively in Sonar with the same bitrate/depth/latency settings and see if you have the same problem. Heck, try rewiring also.

I wouldn't install to an external HD. You could install Dimension's sample library to the external, to save on room. But i'd definitely keep the programs on your system drive.

Also, if you can, adjust latency downward and try it.... sometimes having too much latency can have ill effects on stuff. Also try adjusting the buffer size.

I'm not sure but it also could be a midi crapping out issue. Perhaps someone more familiar with Midi could answer: what within the MIDI protocol could result in dropped notes?

wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/10 11:57:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: knowted

I see Dave already picked you up.

Helpful links for anyone who wants to chip in:

knowted's original 12/2/05 post: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=651038

knowted also posted a question regarding latency on 5/30/05: http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=478339

knowted's name is also Dave, so this is going to get very confusing.

Dave (aggie) had an intelligent reply asking for system specs. I want them too.

So Dave (knowted): CPU clock speed, CPU make (e.g. AMD Athlon, Intel P4), RAM (e.g. 512MB DDR400), Laptop or Desktop (it WILL make a difference), MIDI interface/Sound Card. Are you using a MIDI controller (keyboard). If so, what model, is it hooked up via MIDI interface or USB. You're talking about an external hard drive. What is it? Make and model? USB 2.0 or Firewire interface? What's on your external that has anything to do with your problem?

The more you can tell us about your system the better we can help you.

WC

knowted
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/10 12:57:21 (permalink)
    hey thanx for quick back-- i'm more musician than comp geek here goes--amd athlon -i think around 1.3---1gb ram not sure ddr--tascam us122 wdm( but have option of asio). desktop. roland d-20 midi to us122,us122 usb to comp. external hd bought at computer strore-not sure what kind-80gb, i think usb 2.0
    the external hd is no problem but i was wonderin if i could use it to my advantage someway with my sonar and p5. the only thing i can give back to guys is this-- i just got tranzport(frontier design) and it works great-i have rhodes mk 80 in next room and i can record to daw thru the wall without havin to run back to computer!! it's also nice to step away from the desk and listen to mixes--it's something to think about for 200 bucks
    agincourtdb
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/10 14:21:28 (permalink)
    I used to have a US-122, and had driver problems, but mine resulted in frequent BSODs. I envy both your Tranzport and your EP. :-)

I'm still not sure what could be causing missed Midi notes.... does it do it only when playing live, or on playback of recorded midi events as well?

Your CPU, is it an Athlon XP, Athlon 64, earlier (Tbird or something?)

Do you have a lot of other USB stuff hooked to your computer?

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/10 14:59:18 (permalink)
    Which patch in Dimension are you encountering these problems with? If it is one with long release times, then it could be that you are reaching the polyphony limits without realising it. Remember that, with long release times, even though you may not be holding the keys down still, if the notes are still sounding then they will count towards the polyphony total....so playing 3 typical chords in short order with a long release time could easily be resulting in 12 notes of polyphony without you even realising.

Following on from the above, if your processor is an older AMD running at 1.3ghz, it will not take long for the cpu to start choking with high amounts of polyphony, especially if the patch you are playing is using the Dimension reverb and other built-in effects...
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/11 19:26:53 (permalink)

if it's on rendering to wav (export) you may have to switch the Dimension (or other sampler) engine over to the mode where it holds all the samples in memory. normally in playback the retrieval from disk is fast enough, but in rendering even the fastest drives aren't fast enough

that's a very specific set of conditions, but it definitely happens there

knowted
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/11 21:43:20 (permalink)
    back again and appreciate all f-back, what's a BSOD?? davey-b; anyhoo- i went to layin some tracks besides lookin under the dress of my computer and put two audio's on sonar and one midi track in p5 which i had rewired to s4 prod. --havin some trouble boucin tracks to get to riff file to burn copy--but no problems with dropout--i'm thinkin maybe i just need a faster processor-i think mine is the older version amd (altho i'm not sure if it's a t-bird--i have an old t-bird-'66-but that's in the garage--my computer should be out there with it!!) i'm thikin of gettin a laptop-someone mentioned there's a difference--what is it? i'm ponderin gettin a receptor-you guys hip to it?/--maybe sharin cpu would ease the burden
    thanx agin(again) that's for you dave b- and thanx eveyone else
    agincourtdb
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/11 21:56:20 (permalink)
    Receptor: way more expensive than the power warrants. Better off to get FXteleport ($99) and use another computer on your network as a 'receptor'. (if you get a laptop, get a nice one and use your current computer as your 'receptor')

BSOD=Blue Screen Of Death.... the windows your-computer-is-crashing signal.

I think the other guys are right... you're running into a polyphony limit. With sample-based synths, both CPU and memory come into play.

Check your CPU under system specs in your documentation.... it might be time to upgrade. Luckily CPUs far faster than (what I suspect) you have are getting pretty inexpensive. You could upgrade board and CPU for less than $200 to something that would make your audio apps fly like an arrow.

knowted
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/11 23:04:57 (permalink)
    yes polyphony is a great thing but it still drops--am gonna take the hit and get faster stuff--you think laptop good?? read in another post someone gettin interference when usin laptop-is that one of the drawbacks -anymore???

no mam-- we're musicians Blues Bros.
    agincourtdb
    RE: lack of replies-b rock,agincourtdb?? 2005/12/11 23:19:39 (permalink)
    I haven't had any problems with P5 on my laptop (and yes, I only run one install at a time ) I've had an issue with Sonar and some odd behavior while recording but I'm pretty sure it was my fault for not disabling the network adapters.

I'm in love with my laptop, but it's definitely the more expensive route. You can definitely upgrade your existing desktop for a fraction of a laptop would cost, for the same performance.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1