Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX?

Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
2005/12/10 19:06:27 (permalink)

Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX?

For quick-n-easy effecting, I'm wondering how Cake's basic suite stacks up against Sony/S.Forge's. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of deleting the S. Forge ones from my Sonar menu (trying to clean house), but I've always used these in the past and I've honestly never used Cake's.

Really nowadays I use neither, but I'm just wondering...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro

8 Replies Related Threads

MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/10 21:20:17 (permalink)
    Do you mean the Cakewalk Audio FX 1,2,3 series or the Sonitus/Cakewalk effects? Most people are saying the Sonitus are pretty good, but a step below Voxengo. The Sound Forge Express FX are pretty entry level, the full versions are better but probably better suited to sample editing.
    jamester
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 00:01:49 (permalink)
    Do you mean the Cakewalk Audio FX 1,2,3 series

Yes. I'm just wondering, between basic no-frills fx, if anybody thinks one is better than the other.

Personally, I like the Sonitus suite. They're my go-to fx.

bnmoore
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 01:41:54 (permalink)
    I used to un-register the dll's for the Express FX but with Sound Forge 8 they won't stay dead. They re-register on the next launch. I had to use the Plugin Manager to exclude them from SONAR and SF's own exclusion process in it's manager. I never saw any use for the Express FX.

Ben N. Moore
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 03:40:22 (permalink)
    Hey James,

I reckon that the native Calewalk FX plugins ain't bad at all. In fact, they ain't even native, they're really DSP-FX with a slightly irritating less user-friendly (imho) interface than the real deal. They are alleged to have been used (albeit a few years ago) on one of Celine Dion's albums, but I wouldn't let that put you off.

I find myself using from time to time the Cakewalk/DSP Chorus, Delay and (sometimes on percussion) Reverb. Occasionally the EQ ... it seems to me to have a nice warm and full bodied sound to it.

My opinion of the equivalent FX in Sound Forge/Sony is not favourable. To my ears they appear thin and a bit tinny. For compression etc I use Sonitus every time in preference to Sony FX, expecially the truly horrendous Wave Hammer.

Just being my usual grumpy self.

Best,
    Geoff
    Rednroll
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 08:05:27 (permalink)
    I always try to get rid of the Sound Forge Express FX's because I never use them. One tool that I have found very useful for this type of thing is Analog X's "DXman". DXman allows you to unregister and reregister DX plugins on your system. Get if here for Free: http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio.htm

The thing that always annoys me about Sound Forge though, is everytime I install an update, the installer doesn't give you a choice of what to install, so all those Express FX's get reregistered. So then I just need to run DXman again.

There's lots of free useful plugins at AnalogX's website. I find the DXNotepad, pretty useful. If you're doing something out of the norm and just need to make yourself a note, then you can use this to write things down and it acts just like a DX plugin and gets saved with the project.

www.analogX.com
    post edited by Rednroll - 2005/12/11 08:15:17
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 08:16:13 (permalink)
    The thing that always annoys me about Sound Forge though, is everytime I install an update, the installer doesn't give you a choice of what to install, so all those Express FX's get reregistered.

Yeah. That's Sound Forge.
    The Scar
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 09:13:53 (permalink)
    A related question (sort of): does having all those Sony plugs load into Sonar incur a performance hit on Sonar's part?

('Cause if so, I'm going to get that Analog X application to unregister 'em. But if they just sit there without impacting Sonar's performance, then I'll leave 'em be.)

T.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    jamester
    RE: Curious: Cake FX vs Sound Forge Express FX? 2005/12/11 14:17:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Geoff, and thanks for the link Rednroll - I'll check that out.

Well, I went ahead and removed the Sony ExpressFX from both Sonar and my DX Favorites in Forge. They are dead to me!

Tom - I don't think you'll get a performance hit having them sit there dormant, however I'd imagine they'll increase start-up time (probably only slightly). But like everyone else said, you don't need them at all, since you have the "real" versions as well...they're redundant.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1