arghhhhhhhhhargh

Author
blakflag
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
2005/12/11 20:16:15 (permalink)

arghhhhhhhhhargh

Hey experts,

I've had a frustrating couple days with project5. See, I got a new bunch of equipment, hoping it would take care of this issue but it has not. :( Im turning to this wonderful friendly forum out of desperation.

When using P5, often (especially when I have ANY audio clips) my system will get VERY sluggish, my mouse will get all slow motion, and things will crap out. This is with ASIO, latency doesnt seem to help. I believe it also does this using WDM. Things that trigger the slow death: changing patches, rewinding, doing almost any real time stuff when measure looping. Also, sometimes even when not doing anything, the sound will go SCREEEEEE for a millisecond and then continue. Basic crappiness.

I dont recall this ever being an issue with 1.5. Sad to say that 2.0 just hasnt lived up to its potential for me so far. Has anyone else experienced this?

And just for reference, Ableton 5 (I know I know) runs smoother than a preemee newborns oiled backside, I can do all sorts of scary things and it doesnt hiccup.

system: Athlon64 3000+, 1 gig ram, Presonus firebox, several hard drives but my system drive is a raptor 10000 rpm. I have installed a fairly barebones windows partition, and followed the optimization guide found around the web (background priority, etc)

If this cant get fixed its gonna have to be the dark side for this padewan. :P

thanks,

Eric

15 Replies Related Threads

blakflag
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 20:18:56 (permalink)
    Oh one more detail,

the above behavior occurs even with fairly simple (4 - 5 track) projects.. not just on Voodoo Style sized behemoths.
    my CPU meter never seems to go above 20-30% and I dont see anything else sucking up processor time. (Ive checked task manager frequently)
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 21:02:24 (permalink)
    This sounds like something i've been experiencing with version 2.0. For no reason, when you load a project up it will start playing in a stuttery slow motion. I found that altering the latency will stop this happening, but what's even stranger is that moving it lower from 40ms to 20ms will cure it or sometimes vice versa. I have an Audigy card so maybe it's a bug involving that particular card.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 21:27:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, this doesn't sound right at all. Your specs are optimal....

I would uninstall and reinstall everything. p5 and firebox drivers. Be sure that you're using the best possible combination of drivers (Asio,WDM) and latency and buffer size.

It could be an issue with the firewire chip meets the firebox drivers meets p5, even if Live runs smooth as silk (what I call the "honey, kids are different" phenomenon.) so as a last resort get a cheap firewire card with a different chip than the one you have and try the firebox plugged into it instead of your present port.

SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 21:33:08 (permalink)
    Definitely sounds like some sort of driver issue with your audio interface. double check and see if it is like that with wdm also. Maybe try out the free asio4all drivers too.

knowted
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 22:19:46 (permalink)
    hey quit scaring me - i'm thinkin of updating my equipment and was goin for the same processor and firebox(for more outputs for surround)-i'd feel like hitting a nun if i bought all that stuff and didn't get a fix--i don't know if this helps but i read in sonar manual that you can only use 1 sound card with asio

hope you find some grease for the baby's bottom
    blakflag
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 23:06:12 (permalink)
    Hey all,

Knowted, Im doubting its tied to the firebox since the problems started before the firebox. Blipp, I also had an audigy and that is why I thought it would get better when I got a new card. I dont have much else on my computer, I DO have a wireless PCI card, I wondered if that might be generating interrupts or some garbage like that. And I have an Nvidia video card. Im guessing lotsof people have those without issues however.

Let me try some more combinations of latancy and driver method, maybe theres something I can find that doesnt do it.

Agincourt, I know what you mean about firewire troubles.. I once had a laptop interface that would NOT read above 128 gigs on my external 200 gig drive, it just would not read those sectors and copying stuff would fail after it got to 128 gigs full :) But when I plugged the drive in via USB2 it was fine. And the same drive works no prob on another firewire interface :P Back to the original point, Im not sure if reinstalling will fix tho, I already did that when I built my stripped-down OS and it still does it. Theres practically nothing else installed. But thats a good Iidea I can try a different firewire port or take out anything else I can thing of that might be interfering.

My machine parts are as follows (maybe some one else with a same part will have this problem and same hardware): MSI Neo Platinum (nforce 350?) mb, Athlon64 3000+, 2x512 ddr2 ram, Dlink G510 wireless card, logitech cordless desktop, XFX Geforce 6800. 3 hard drives, 1 serial ATA rand 2 older IDE drives.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 23:21:08 (permalink)
    my guess would be the wireless pci card is the problem.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 23:23:32 (permalink)
    my guess too!
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/11 23:25:57 (permalink)
    yeah, I would definitely try disabling that in your hardware profile and see what effect it has.

wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/12 09:54:24 (permalink)
    My machine parts are as follows (maybe some one else with a same part will have this problem and same hardware): MSI Neo Platinum (nforce 350?) mb, Athlon64 3000+, 2x512 ddr2 ram, Dlink G510 wireless card, logitech cordless desktop, XFX Geforce 6800. 3 hard drives, 1 serial ATA rand 2 older IDE drives.

I'm not terribly fond of wireless keyboards for DAW work. You might want to find a good 'ol PS2 keyboard and plug it in along with your other troubleshooting.

As a Linux geek, I have seen MANY troubling things go on between dlink wireless interfaces and nforce chipsets. Seems as though they don't like each other much. Linux geeks tend to be up on their hardware, the wrong comination of stuff and your system just comes to a screeching halt.

You mentioned above about installing a minimal Windows partition. What did you mean, PARTITION?? Does this mean somehow you're dual-booting another OS on another partition??? I'm just not sure why you would use that word. Sorry if I'm being nit-picky, but that threw up a red flag for me. Mind you, I'm taking shots in the dark here.

BTW, thanks for the system specs. We (as in the forum) can at least take a stab at an intelligent response when you provide those. You wouldn't believe how many posts that come up where we're constantly asking for specs just so we can take a guess.

Hope you get this figured out, looks like you've got a nice box...

WC
    DayDrumFour
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/12 17:41:05 (permalink)
    Blakflag

Your PC specs sound nearly identical to mine. I haven't had any of those problems other than WDM sounding horrible and being useless to me. I'm using my default audio driver without any problems.

You say version 1.5 runs smoothly,
    Have you tried opening v2 "inside" of v1? (via rewire if it's possible)

Another vote for a reinstall I guess........
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/12 18:15:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wgcabp

I'm not terribly fond of wireless keyboards for DAW work. You might want to find a good 'ol PS2 keyboard and plug it in along with your other troubleshooting.

Hope you get this figured out, looks like you've got a nice box...

WC

not in my case. I'm typing this from my logitech wireless keyboard and no problems at all, with my wireless mouse either. And yeah, hope you get it sorted!

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    blakflag
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/12 20:24:25 (permalink)
    >You mentioned above about installing a minimal Windows partition. What did you mean, PARTITION?? Does this mean somehow you're dual-booting another OS on another partition??? I'm >just not sure why you would use that word. Sorry if I'm being nit-picky, but that threw up a red flag for me. Mind you, I'm taking shots in the dark here.

wgcabp, I have two XP installs on separate partitions, one with all my other stuff that makes the system unsuitable for a audio environment, and a separate one with only minimal stuff installed. I can't see how this could make a difference though, there should be no interaction between the two installs as all the software is installed for one or the other. In a perfect world Id have a separate computer but I'm tapped out for now.

I'll take out the wireless card and switch to a wired mouse and keyboard for a test. Unfortunately there's really no way I can not have SOME wireless card in the PC, because my internet hub is downstairs and the PC is upstairs :) I guess I could get one of those gamer ones that simuylates an ethernet jack as a last resort. Or drill a hole through my floor.

thanks for the help I will report back.
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/12 21:25:42 (permalink)
    DRILL A HOLE!
    blakflag
    RE: arghhhhhhhhhargh 2005/12/12 21:56:37 (permalink)
    (dons craftsman safety goggles) VVVVVVVZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSKRONK.

So far Ive disabled EVERYTHING I can think of, disabled all unnecessary ports in BIOS, took wireless out, went with 100ms WDM latency, even tried setting my hard drives to pio (not recommended btw). The glitching remains unbearable. Im gonna borrow a spare video card & mouse from work tomorrow and see if swapping them out makes any difference. Im wondering if theres something on my motherboard or video card that is not quite up to snuff. Oh well, life goes on.

Thanks,

Eric
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1