Author
lavoll
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
2005/12/13 17:24:03 (permalink)

the digital music doctor sonar tutorials

downloadable for 30 dollars..
anyone else got these?
I just purchased them and i've watched the first introductory ones.
I can't say i'm very impressed so far.
The (badly recorded and edited) woman is very obviously reading a script, and what's being shown doesnt always fit with what's being told. usually what happens on the screen is a few steps ahead of the woman.
she is kinda trying to sound excited, but i'm not sure she even knows what she is talking about.
and there's lots and lots of useless stuff like "like I said.. and am repeating now" "and i'll show that here and we will come back to that later". and she isnt able to distinguish with her voice when we she is saying something useful for the current tutorial, and when she is talking about something not relevant for the topic at hand.. which makes my head go "aahh.. what? what did she just say??"

i just watched a quick demo for a Vegas tutorial, which seemed much better. the guy talking is the guy showing how to do things. and he is able to vary pace and voice qulity when there's a "look closely now to where I am clicking", so my brain stays more awake for the entire lesson :)

7 Replies Related Threads

lavoll
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/13 17:26:22 (permalink)
    this is the one i am babbling about:
    http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/sonar/index.html
    Stratje
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/13 17:56:54 (permalink)
    Well, I bought de DVD. And yes, you are right, I'm not impressed too.
    If you are new to Sonar, it might be helpfull, but if you are an experianced user, better buy a beer for that money.

I was very curious about the mastering and softsynths. They use Rewire and Sony stuf, pffffffff.

Well, I've learned a few things, but reading this forum has helped me a lot more!
    lavoll
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/14 13:43:19 (permalink)
    i've continued watching.. and.. blah. there's a lot os stuff, for example with the mute tool, where they are just telling, not showing. wo whats the point? then I could just as well read it myself instead of listening to the audiobook.
    oo8
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/14 14:00:32 (permalink)
    i got the sonar 4 one....it was a lil helpful for me but, i am brand new to sonar.
    EbonyFunk
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/14 15:55:20 (permalink)
    Interesting.

I have the Sonar 4 and Soundforge 8 tutorials and like them alot. No, she's not the most exciting, but I didn't buy them to be entertained. Now these were the dics and not the download versions.

I'm about to purchase the Sonar 5 and "Mixing and Mastering" download versions. I'm not a beginner but not a pro (not yet) either. Some of the stuff I know, but I always seem to find something that I didn't or a different approach.

I have other tutorials as well, but I tend to like the Digital Music Doctor stuff also.
    DJ Darkside
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/14 17:18:58 (permalink)
    Does anyone here know where we can get other tutorial videos or books on Sonar 5.0 PE and its new features? I have been looking for a power book to get my workflow skills and editting skills up to par so that I can work faster and have more options at my finger tips...

Any links? Thanks,

Mark Liebrand
    DJ Darkside 2001-20xx 
    www.djdarkside.com
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Running: Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, Ableton Live, Novation Impulse, Native Instruments Maschine, a few mics, 1963 Fender Strat, a Fender Jazz Bass and some secret weapons... EQ and Compression.
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: the digital music doctor sonar tutorials 2005/12/14 17:43:22 (permalink)
    and what's being shown doesnt always fit with what's being told. usually what happens on the screen is a few steps ahead of the woman.

Yes indeed.

I've only looked at 4 or 5 sections of the Sonar 5 Know-It-All tutorial so far, but I noticed the problem wherein video "runs ahead" of the audio, and it's EXTREMELY annoying. Kind of detracts from the "professionalism" of the product. They really need to fix that!

However, that being said, if you're willing to put up with a few defects, there's still quite a lot of valuable information to be gleaned from this tutorial.

Another thing that might be of interest to Sonar users: the new Mixing and Mastering tutorials that Digital Music Doctor puts out. Disclaimer: I have no experience with these, and cannot say how good/bad they are, but here's the link:

http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/mixmaster/

- john
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1