Windows ME and the notation font

Author
airlynx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/12/14 12:01:31 (permalink)

Windows ME and the notation font

I had an old copy of Home Studio 9 lying around that I had bought a while ago and decided to install it on my Windows ME machine to play around for a while.

The install went okay except for one annoying detail. For some reason when I start up Home Studio it tells me some error about not being able to use the notation font (I'm not at the computer right now otherwise I'd give you an exact message). When I open up a MIDI file and go to the notation screen to see the notes on the staff it uses the Wingdings font to display the notes! As hilarious as this is I find it slightly annoying because my primary use of Home Studio is to find MIDI files and modify them so that I can print myself sheet music.

I've searched all of my installed fonts and don't see anything music related and I cannot seem to find anything on the installation disk. I also cannot find and INI files or such that relate to which font Home Studio uses for this. I can't find any history of this problem on the forums so I can't claim it as a bug in the software, so yeah. Any suggestions or has anyone actually had this problem?

1 Reply Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Windows ME and the notation font 2005/12/14 13:37:01 (permalink)
    Did you install Home Studio it the default directory? If not I would uninstall it and re-install it in the default directory. If you did use the defaults, try a reinstall and make sure nothing else is running when you install it.

There's not many people around still using Windows ME or Home Studio 9.

my primary use of Home Studio is to find MIDI files and modify them so that I can print myself sheet music.

I hope you have a lot of paper and ink cartridges. The notation feature is not one for Home Studio's strengths. There's not repeats or endings or codas so even a short tune will burn 9 or 10 pages. And unless the person meticulously recorded the MIDI tracks, the notation may need some clean up before its playable.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1