DimPro: New Guy Question

Author
JohnrC
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2005/12/16 08:58:30 (permalink)

DimPro: New Guy Question

I'm very new to soft synths. In the case of Dimension Pro, how are patches/tracks set up?

For example, my hardware synth is set so that I have a different patch (or voice) assigned to 16 different MIDI tracks. To do this with DP, do you install 16 instances of the synth? Or does one 'instance' provide numerous voices?

Wow. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks and best regards,
John

15 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2005/12/16 10:42:12 (permalink)
    I don't own DMP (yet), but from what I've read, each instance has 4 elements, each of which can be assigned a separate midi channel, in essence creating a 4-part multitimbral synth. So you would need 4 instances in your case

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    cityrat
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2005/12/16 11:44:10 (permalink)
    You have 16 instances is the standard way with DP. You can route each of four channels to individual elements of one instance if you like.

Note: There is not a 16X use of resources for loading 16 instances. Its just a different way of working from a "multi" type setup. I like the DP way better, since I can think of each as an "instrument" vs which channel is inst A, inst B etc.

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2005/12/16 17:21:33 (permalink)
    If you load patches/progs you need 16 instances. Now There is good reason here. In a multitimbral instrument You load one instance and can then access 16 different voices but. You would then not be able to set an effect on one track without effecting all. This is not a very good way to do midi now. Back when midi sounded like a game soundtrack it worked. But not now. Do you really want to inset a good drum verb and have that on your grand piano as well? Each instance of Dpro is an instrument. It needs it's own track. Because these are high quality patches. You can load 4 different sample sets on one instance. But this defeats the purpose. It's for layering different sounds to one patch. Dpro is set up for high level sequencing and as such you should be able to tell from the quality of the sounds. It give you the greatest options for rendering good tunes If you take the time to do it. And even if you don't it still gives out great sound. The only thing to stop you from good tunes is your CPU/RAM. If you don't have enough it might take a few workarounds but it's still possible.
    metaprog
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 551
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2005/12/17 01:47:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

If you load patches/progs you need 16 instances. Now There is good reason here. In a multitimbral instrument You load one instance and can then access 16 different voices but. You would then not be able to set an effect on one track without effecting all. This is not a very good way to do midi now. Back when midi sounded like a game soundtrack it worked. But not now. Do you really want to inset a good drum verb and have that on your grand piano as well? Each instance of Dpro is an instrument. It needs it's own track. Because these are high quality patches. You can load 4 different sample sets on one instance. But this defeats the purpose. It's for layering different sounds to one patch. Dpro is set up for high level sequencing and as such you should be able to tell from the quality of the sounds. It give you the greatest options for rendering good tunes If you take the time to do it. And even if you don't it still gives out great sound. The only thing to stop you from good tunes is your CPU/RAM. If you don't have enough it might take a few workarounds but it's still possible.

Well... it's true that DimPro doesn't have (e.g.) Sonitus effects builtin. But it does have its own effects - quite a variety, in fact - that one can apply to each of the four elements. So it's not quite true that you can't set an effect an instrument without affecting the others. So before overloading the CPU, it might not be a bad idea to check the options out, at least.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
    Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
    lawapa
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2005/12/17 22:02:43 (permalink)
    I was thinking more along the lines of how you might treat drums differently from a piano patch or a string patch or even a choir patch. Then add say a bass line or a few guitar parts. This is leaning more to dymanics processing and verb type effects where they play a crucial role in how a sound comes through the mix. I like the delay effects and phase stuff but most of the others I tend to use the effects than have some more control. I have a project up and running in Sonar now with 8 instances of Dpro with a bussed Lexi verb for 4 parts. There is room for more here. Once I hit 50% I'll start freezing parts,
    post edited by lawapa - 2005/12/17 22:04:45
    JohnrC
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2005/12/19 21:10:34 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone. Dim Pro now installed and sounding great (compliments to the chef, Rene).
    muzicmaken
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/16 02:29:30 (permalink)
    IS DP as good as Native Instruments? thanks just want to make sure b4 I sink the money into it.
    How are the piano's and organs? DOes it have and Hammond organs and how well do they sound..

thanks for any nfo...

ken

Windows XP , 3.6ghz Celeron, 1.5 gig DDR Ram, dual head Radeon 128MB video card, 2 dual format DVD Burners, 2 - 21' monitors, 300 gig HD, E-Mu 1820m, Aphex 207, Sonar 7 Pro. Avalon U5,
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/16 11:21:46 (permalink)
    there are 7 hammonds, along with a bunch of other organs (some in the trance/electronic/pad/dimension) folders. Of course, you can add your own samples.

I wouldn't call DimP weak on hammonds, but it is not a virtual organ, where you can change drawbars, etc. the samples are what you get. That being said, they have some excellent hammonds, good enough for most songs styles. If you want more, I would suggest one of the free vsti's for more coverage (check kvr, I can't remember the names). But there are about 30 eps in one folder, with others scattered around. Very nice selection. I don't think DimP would stand up against the B4 for hammonds, since that is more of a solo ap, if you are interested only in hammonds. But DP will do a lot more other sounds (some of the eps are fantastic!), and is certainly better as an all- a-rounder.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    muzicmaken
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/16 15:11:34 (permalink)
    I guess my question is, is is just as good or better than Proteus X or Sampletank or other prgrams like it. I have those prgams and if they are the same thing then I don't want to sink the money in something that is basically the same thing. One Program I have I use the most that I love is the Luxonix Ravity Softsynths.

ken

Windows XP , 3.6ghz Celeron, 1.5 gig DDR Ram, dual head Radeon 128MB video card, 2 dual format DVD Burners, 2 - 21' monitors, 300 gig HD, E-Mu 1820m, Aphex 207, Sonar 7 Pro. Avalon U5,
    lawapa
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/16 21:42:24 (permalink)
    I'd go to the Dimension Page and check out just what is listed as features and then compaire that to what you use. While Dimension can play samples as most romplers can it is also a full featured synth using sampled waveforms. With 4 elements loaded each could be a full sample set or waveform or any combination of same. Add in enough control to take any sound so far over the top it's hard to imagine and you got yourself dimension. It's also open ended in that you can edit and make sample sets using a text editor if you take the time to learn the SFZ format. But for simple use as in just doing presets soundquality is a tad better IMHO but that might be just my bias. I got it and use it a lot.
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/01/16 21:46:11
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/17 05:24:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: muzicmaken

I guess my question is, is is just as good or better than Proteus X or Sampletank or other prgrams like it. I have those prgams and if they are the same thing then I don't want to sink the money in something that is basically the same thing. One Program I have I use the most that I love is the Luxonix Ravity Softsynths.

ken

I had DP for a month.

I can think of a number of reasons for getting it:

1. You simply miss some of the sound that are in there.
    The strings are simply fantastic to mention one thing.
    And modulation wheel adjust attacktime for more staccato playing or smooth.
    A lot of work is put into these details.

Pianos sound like the cheaper sample sets though. Higher range is a bit hard sounding(i will try fix with some filter envelopes).
    I have the Piano collection with ST1, and they are much nicer.

The overall impression is that DP is very, very good sounding sampleset.

2. You would like to create new flavours for your soundsets
    Combining up to for elements(sometimes a preset is more than one element) and the synth features open up to a variety of new sounds. All kinds of ADSR-envelopes and filters and modulations.

So making these combinations with effects and all, and save as a preset for future use, is much much better than combining a number for separate instruments and do this tweaking over and over.

3. On my wishlist

a) Multiple stereo outs
    b) get use of 16 midichannels in one instance( maybe 16 x 4 elements)
    c) import or convert utility for other format sample libraries
    d) a GUI to work with your own samplesets

I got the feeling DP is a huge succes, and there will be many improvements in future. Both on the plugin and more soundsets to add.

Maybe it's just me that is reluctant to load multiple instances. This solves case a) and b) on my list. Maybe resources are cleverly reused over multiple instances somehow, I don't know. I think I read that some demosong was made with 12 instances of DP, and it might not be such a big deal.

Anyway, I'm very very pleased with my DP.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/17 16:05:13 (permalink)
    Maybe resources are cleverly reused over multiple instances somehow, I don't know. I think I read that some demosong was made with 12 instances of DP, and it might not be such a big deal.

It's not such a big deal and, yes, resources are very cleverly reused across multiple instances. If the same samples are used in another instance, they are not reloaded. Instead, both instances share the sample. This is pretty smart programming on René's part.

Also, it doesn't seem to tax your system too hard to have simply have more instances running. There seems to be very little overhead for instances that aren't actually doing anything.

Either way, I usually squeeze in 10 to 20 instances in each program…

Dale
    lawapa
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/17 22:04:08 (permalink)
    My latest project has about 10 instances OF Dpro with one huge SFZ string font from the SI strings mini. Most with Programs loaded but some homemade sets are up and synths also. PYSN and FM7. Hitting around 37% peak. And with the Dpro optimizations It's cool running. This is on a p4 2.8 with 1 gig ram. It is a DAW. Not connected to the internet. Sorta tweaked for audio and synths. I could freeze some and free up cpu but nary a hicup. Smooth as silk.
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/18 15:32:53 (permalink)
    Good news, Paradroid and Lawapa. Thanks for explaining.
    muzicmaken
    RE: DimPro: New Guy Question 2006/01/26 13:52:15 (permalink)
    I took the plunge after hearing some of the demo sounds on Dimensions webpage...

we'll give it a try:)

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1