Input and Output issues help please!

Author
flashman1088
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2005/12/19 01:18:15 (permalink)

Input and Output issues help please!

Ok I am very new to this program. Im trying to record digital audio through my microphone input. I have it hooked up to my guitar. I have read through the getting started tutorials....everything works ok up until the point where i have to select input and output devices or whatver when i double click on the tracks....Under input the only thing that it says is NONE same with output....whats the deal?????

7 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 01:43:06 (permalink)
    First and foremost, a guitar should not be plugged into ta mike input, use the line in instead, if not line in then make sure that the signal is not to hot going in, or the sound card could be overdriven.

try these things, Go to options/audio and set the system to use the MME drivers, then run the wave profiler, go to back options/audio and make sure the playback and record boxes contain the name of your sound card, check to make sure that the sound card is listed under the drivers tab, then make sure nothing is highlighted under the input monitoring tab. Next go to options/midi devices, and set the system to use Microsoft synth GS and all should work.
    flashman1088
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 01:58:13 (permalink)
    well i made a wee bit of progress. I plugged the guitar into the line input and did what you told me but im still not able to record for some reason.
    flashman1088
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 02:00:50 (permalink)
    for instance the record button is greyed out
    flashman1088
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 02:07:52 (permalink)
    Actually ok, I got the record button working, and im playing but nothing is being recorded.....
    flashman1088
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 16:35:00 (permalink)
    anyone have any solutions? Nothing is reading when im playing the guitar...the green bar that indicates db is just sittin there....whats GOING ON!
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 16:43:19 (permalink)
    If not sound is going in then the problem is most likley that it is not setup properly.

under the options/audio tab what is listed as the playback and recording wave device?

It should be your sound card, if not then change it to that and run the wave profiler.

For your information and all others that read this post that are struggling with the initial setup, 99.99 times out of 100 it is the setup of the drivers that is the problem, everyone says "I'm sure it is right but still does not work" that is next to impossible, if it was right, then it would work, on the rare occasion it does not, then it is almost always equipment failure, and almost never the software, since software seems to follow the equipment used and the setup thereof.
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Input and Output issues help please! 2005/12/19 23:39:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Robomusic

For your information and all others that read this post that are struggling with the initial setup, 99.99 times out of 100 it is the setup of the drivers that is the problem, everyone says "I'm sure it is right but still does not work" that is next to impossible, if it was right, then it would work, on the rare occasion it does not, then it is almost always equipment failure, and almost never the software, since software seems to follow the equipment used and the setup thereof.

No sh#t!

Also, you have your guitar plugged into the line in. Great. What kind of guitar - acoustic, electric? Does the guitar go straight to the line in or do you have an effects unit/mixer/preamp in line before the soundcard. If you have your guitar plugged straight into the line in, you will not get any sound - or at best, really crappy, low volume, crappy sound. You need to bring the guitar sound to line level first. The easiest way is to buy a mixer. Or, you can run the guitar signal through an effects box or modeler and then into the line in on the sound card.

Try that.

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1