Dimension Pro install trouble

Author
thelord
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2006/01/02 20:48:58 (permalink)

Dimension Pro install trouble

I'm a P5 v2 user that just upgraded to Dimension Pro.

1. Do I need to keep regular Dimension installed in order for my saved projects to read the MIDI data, or will they automatically recognize DimPro and use it as a replacement?

2. When installing DimPro, the progress bar keeps freezing and the only way to get it to do anything is to close the program "7za.exe" ... I realize this is the 7-zip extractor that extracts the multisamples. When I stop the program the install continues for a while until I have to stop it again. Not all of the data is getting extracted though. What's the problem? I have TUGZip installed, does that have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also when I received DimPro in the mail, the disks were loose inside and somewhat scratched. Not terribly so, but maybe this could have something to do with the problems?
post edited by thelord - 2006/01/02 20:54:16

5 Replies Related Threads

thelord
    RE: Dimension Pro install trouble 2006/01/02 21:24:28 (permalink)
    Actually, it does seem to be working now when I try again...
    It just takes a REALLLLLLLY long time to extract apparently.
    But I'd still appreciate responses for the first question.
    I'm assuming that the regular Dimension content is included in Dimension Pro install, but I need to make sure Dimension Pro can replace Dimension in the projects I already have... Thanks!
    post edited by thelord - 2006/01/02 21:38:40
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dimension Pro install trouble 2006/01/02 21:49:26 (permalink)
    I need to make sure Dimension Pro can replace Dimension in the projects I already have.
    As it was explained to me (Nick Haddad [Cakewalk] in the P5 forum), the recommended procedure was to save any custom programs that you had created, uninstall the original Dimension, and then install Dimension Pro. The reason was so that any projects using Dimension would reap the benefits of the improvements in Dimension Pro. You then bring back any customized presets.

As far as I can see, that proved to be perfectly backward-compatible. Everything saved comes up correctly.

For once, I followed the rules, so I can't tell you what happens with both sample synths resident at the same time. The old Device Chains still work, too.
    HTH
    thelord
    RE: Dimension Pro install trouble 2006/01/03 00:39:33 (permalink)
    Gracias, b.
    All is well now!
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dimension Pro install trouble 2006/01/03 20:40:19 (permalink)
    I did the upgrade to Pro before I heard you needed to uninstall the old Dimension. As far as I can tell the ol One is gone and the new one, Pro is all that's there. I did save all samples to a different hard drive and the old samples are in the folder as well. Or at least I think they are. I try to keep al sample content off my OS drive except for a few fonts I might be working on through Awave or soundforge.
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Dimension Pro install trouble 2006/02/23 21:41:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

I did the upgrade to Pro before I heard you needed to uninstall the old Dimension. As far as I can tell the ol One is gone and the new one, Pro is all that's there. I did save all samples to a different hard drive and the old samples are in the folder as well. Or at least I think they are. I try to keep al sample content off my OS drive except for a few fonts I might be working on through Awave or soundforge.

I was disappointed/surprised that DimPro took out Dimension. The Dimension sampleset comfortably fit on my laptop hard drive, where DimPro's sample set sits on an external USB drive. I'd have liked to keep them both for that reason.

What will it break if I was to reinstall Dimension? Also, I saw that P5/Sonar projects that use Dimension will automatically use DimPro instead. What about non-Cakewalk products like FLStudio - do their projects get auto-upgraded as well?

Doug
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1