Best Wah Pedal?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/17 22:40:04 (permalink)
Now that was a long post. Yep, did you ever hear Howard Dumble give people his speil about his amps? He likes to tell them stuff like, "Ya gotta be careful, that amp can really get away from ya, its not for amateurs." So of course everybody wants to play one after being challenged like that.

John, if you think $650 for an old wah pedal is bad, there was some guy once selling "maple" volume knobs for hi-fi stereo units at $400 a pop. He said the maple knob would give them a better tone. No kidding, I read it in an issue of Skeptic Magazine just a few months ago. People are funny.
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/18 06:34:45 (permalink)
Hey what a great thread....

Quite a few years ago I remember getting very serious about wah pedals and seeking the best option because I've had enough of them to hear a lot of variation between them. What's always very relevant for example is when Joe says Hendrix's sound is brittle but he would be happy with the auto wah sample. To my ears there is no way I could cope with the auto wah sound as it's sound is brittle to my ears. It's all relative in the end. I hear noticeable differences in all the samples but Joe likes them all, no one is right and no one is wrong.... thankfully.

If I can dig it up, there was a lot of web posted research done by a guy with no commercial bias about wah pedals and the results of his Vox tests were fairly convincing. There were visible difference on a CRO (as one point) which was interesting fodder. Gets you thinking.. for a little while, and then the Cream reunion DVD comes out and who the heck cares about inductors anyway????

One other thing that's interesting is when you talk to guys who actually havevery discerning ears and the things they can pick up. Has anyone ever read what Eric Johnson has to say about tone, cables and batteries etc? Very interesting...

Another thing, if that eBay guys gets $650USD for that Vox, then mine's for sale too!!!

Cheers!
post edited by Mully - 2006/01/19 08:35:58

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/18 11:31:33 (permalink)
Hey, I meant to point out that I picked the very best example of Hendrix's wah sound I could find. That was from the last "real" album he ever recorded and I think his guitar sound in general is better on that live record than anything else he ever laid down. If you listen to his first record the wah is much harsher sounding, but then his guitar was pretty harsh souning altogther on that record. Plus he was simply a much better lead player by the time Gypys came out. He used to really stand on that wah early on putting the treble through the roof.

And my own crybaby went through a V-Amp2 set to a Mesa Boogie Mark2c setting, which is a great sound on its own but I don't think the wah sounds that terrific through it. The type of amplification you go through has a bigger effect on the wah tone than probably anything else.
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/18 11:38:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mully
Has anyone ever read what Eric Johnson has to say about tone, cables and batteries etc? Very interesting...

I actually kind of thought about Eric in regards to this discussion, myself. He's a great example of smeone for whom this little bitty detail stuff really does matter. For Zakk Wilde, on the other hand, he's probably too drunk to ever know the difference.
lucky dog
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/19 03:09:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DarrylCoy

I need a wah pedal. Which is the best? Thank you, Darryl

I'm currently using a Cry Baby, but I would like to get rid of it and buy a Vox.

Rick
Mully
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/19 08:44:27 (permalink)
Hey Joe (pardon the pun )...

yeah it's one of his better wah recorded sounds for sure. I think a lot of the early recorded Hendrix gear suffers as much from the recording process as anything... maybe he'd lost enough HF in his hearing to not hear the amount of treble he played with BUT, that can be mused over. I still really dig his wah chops on All Along the Watchtower.... very nice.

I'm not sure about him being a better lead player by the Gypsies era either. He was playing with a load more soul with a couple of brothers who were on the same page and his head space was totally different especially if you consider the amount of touring he'd done by that point. The early couple of years is full of brash enthusiasm as much as anything.

As for the amps.. you are very right. I can remember having a couple of Mesa Boogie IIC amps for quite a few years and never really liking the wah tone through them... never quite sounded round enough to my ears. Through the current HotRod DeVille though the Dunlop wah can scream and talk like anything. One thing I've also noticed with every Dunlop I've used is that you need to set the pot ratchet to the optimum setting that you like.

Cheers!

Mully
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/19 08:49:07 (permalink)
I actually kind of thought about Eric in regards to this discussion, myself. He's a great example of smeone for whom this little bitty detail stuff really does matter. For Zakk Wilde, on the other hand, he's probably too drunk to ever know the difference.

Yeah he's a mind blower on the search for tone alright.... AMAZING live too! Yowza.

You cracked up with Zakk comment.... classic...

Cheers!

Monkey
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/20 03:01:18 (permalink)

Has anyone ever read what Eric Johnson has to say about tone, cables and batteries etc? Very interesting...

I've never understood this crap about Eric Johnson being able to discern the difference in battery types and stuff like that. Why is that relevant? It's cool to care about your tone. I know I am very particular about it. I also realize though that no one else cares but me and that I'm just being self-indulgent.
Eric Johnson is an exceptional guitar player and if it was anyone else, I would have written them off as having their priorities out of whack. Of course, concerning Eric, this is not the case.

Come to think of it though, I recently played the "Cliffs of Dover" setting on the PODxt live and was suprised at how close it was to Eric's recorded tone. What suprised me even more was the fact that it was the first time that I realized how crappy that tone actually was!
Mully
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/01/20 17:51:44 (permalink)
Don't worry Monkey, there'll always be people who will agree with you.

You have to consider that those with "perfect pitch" as I understand EJ has, will always suffer from some obsessiveness about things like this. Personally I'm real glad that he goes on with this "crap" search for tone because he gets some amazing sounds from his playing and after all, it's a lot of this obsession that has helped make a living from playing a guitar... so he's a lot better and smarter than a lot of us maybe?

Cheers!

thedutchguitarman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2006/11/15 05:40:15 (permalink)
Get yourself a Vox 847 and install a Dpdt switch. A company called Pedaldoc is selling kits to do this yourself and apparently the instructions are very clear the components of very good quality and they ship the items very quickly:

www.pedaldoc.com
Joshef12
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/09 04:56:49 (permalink)
Hi guys,
When searched on google that time I have seen many posts, but I'm confused that I'm new so which pedal will be best for my guitar. I know well this is nice site. everyone put their great experience please one person just help me...thanks
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/09 15:34:36 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/11 20:24:51 (permalink)
Joshef12
Hi guys,
When searched on google that time I have seen many posts, but I'm confused that I'm new so which pedal will be best for my guitar. I know well this is nice site. everyone put their great experience please one person just help me...thanks

You have brought to life 12 years old thread, and very interesting one. Still valid IMO. I owned/ checked all the worlds wahs. The one I have finally chosen is this :  http://www.glab.com.pl/in.../efekty/wowee-wah-ww-1

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/13 22:58:26 (permalink)
[deleted]
LLyons
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/14 18:27:26 (permalink)
I kinda think the magic is in the mind and hands of the performing artist, the writer of the piece and many times the mind of the producer. I know some folks who can take a solo on a montgomery wards guitar and make it stand the test of time. 

But, Crybaby for hardware.   Personally - I use an H9 for this live with the stage rig, and a line 6 when dinking around with friends while writing.  I like to keep line runs short, really short.  Might be sacrilegious to some but it works for me.

I understand the tone conscious folks really really care about the details, and I appreciate that they do, it helps me learn and appreciate our heritage and sonic pallet available - thank you all.  However, in the music I perform - the nuance of a wah is lost through the configuration of amps, mics, desks, mixes, engineering desires, stacks and room interaction.      

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
CS18ai - Connect AVB
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/18 14:55:30 (permalink)
no such thing as a dead thread when it comes to music! Well, I suppose I could come up with something, but...

I've owned a large number of wah-wah pedals (actually, still own most of them - don't ask).

The pedal that lives on the pedal board is a Teese RMC-3. I just love this thing, although it took ages to dial in the sound I wanted - make that sounds. I've considered "upgrading" to the one with external controls, but I'm just too cheap, and I don't play out often enough to rationalize the expense<G>!

In the studio I also have a couple of dinosaurs - a Vox Wah from my youth - the one with the picture on the bottom plate, and a Maestro Boomerang. Nothing I've tried can duplicate the sound of either one. So I drag them out from time to time and just have a blast.

While I would heartily recommend anyone shopping for a wah to check out the Teese pedals, like everything else it is a matter of personal preference/taste - there really is no "best" wah. Too bad too!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/18 18:24:54 (permalink)
I've had a Teese and loved it, but at some point sold it.  I actually don't recall which model, but it had some knobs on the side for settings.  The one analog wah I still currently own is a Wilson Wah, and I think it is actually just a bit more flexible even than the Teese I had, in take it to the extreme settings I like for driving a hi-gain sound and even beyond that point, but I can I also tone it back for a more traditional wah that works great for clean or lo-gain sounds as well.  I highly recommend checking these out.  I know people tend to love the Cry Baby and Vox stuff for it's traditional, been doing this for 50 years type stuff, but IMO the Wilson and Teese stuff are both on a different level overall.

That said, I am really currently using a wah block in my Fractal Axe-FX II (while I await delivery on the new Axe-FX III), and I can honestly say that I have an easier time getting the sounds I want out of it than any of the analog wahs I've used, and once it's dialed in for the patch I have, the settings are in there, saved in memory... no knobs on the side for you to bump when you're transporting it and then have to try to find that sweet spot when you get to a jam or gig.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/18 18:36:46 (permalink)
I love my old vox. I've owned several, but that's the one I never got rid of...
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/19 13:11:18 (permalink)
OffAnAirplane
I use a Vox V847. It's got a nice sound.

+1 for the Vox V847

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/19 16:22:39 (permalink)
Genghis
<snip>The one analog wah I still currently own is a Wilson Wah, and I think it is actually just a bit more flexible even than the Teese I had, in take it to the extreme settings I like for driving a hi-gain sound and even beyond that point, but I can I also tone it back for a more traditional wah that works great for clean or lo-gain sounds as well.  I highly recommend checking these out.  <snip>

Dang, can't unsee this, my wallet may not forgive you<G>!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/19 18:15:52 (permalink)
LOL, sorry man.  I really like my Wilson for the range.  And FWIW, I'm mostly in the hi-gain camp, so when I used it I set it up for that.  It is really the first one I've ever tried that had enough range to go to my sweet spot for that and then go past the point where it works into, "OK, back off a notch or two" territory.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: RE: Best Wah Pedal? 2018/03/22 01:52:54 (permalink)
I haven't read through all of the suggestions, but I have tried many, even some custom modded wahs. The one that sits on my board now is the Zakk Wylde sig wah.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1