New Member - New Songs

Author
L_M_Newman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2006/01/09 16:06:46 (permalink)

New Member - New Songs

Hi. I'm new to the forum but have been using Home Studio for a while. Anyway, I thought I'd jump in and share some of my stuff.

Go to: http://lmnewman.customer.netspace.net.au

The first is a song - and a new vocal direction for me (not that any forum members would know that)

The second - an instrumental.

Just go to the page, click on the links and they will play.

What do you think?
post edited by L_M_Newman - 2006/01/17 06:07:33

6 Replies Related Threads

GPM
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: New Member - New Songs 2006/01/09 18:17:08 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum. I did not expect that sort of voice when I saw your photo. Reminds me of Joe walsh somewhat. Sounds as though you have a good song there that creates a nice feel for a ballad . Observations: The lead guitar is played well although it sounds to me as though it was plugged directly in. It has a kind of cold, brittle sound to it and does not sit well in the mix. Also, I think this tune is made for a hammond B3. That would give it a warmer sound. It has that retro R&B feel to it......Which is a good thing. I'd like to hear it with a real bass player too. If anything, I think it needs to be a little less rigid and have more fills, bass passing notes, etc. to make it sound as though a band is performing it. Good work though. I'll be listening for more songs!
    L_M_Newman
    RE: New Member - New Songs 2006/01/09 19:25:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: GPM

Welcome to the forum. I did not expect that sort of voice when I saw your photo. Reminds me of Joe walsh somewhat. Sounds as though you have a good song there that creates a nice feel for a ballad . Observations: The lead guitar is played well although it sounds to me as though it was plugged directly in. It has a kind of cold, brittle sound to it and does not sit well in the mix. Also, I think this tune is made for a hammond B3. That would give it a warmer sound. It has that retro R&B feel to it......Which is a good thing. I'd like to hear it with a real bass player too. If anything, I think it needs to be a little less rigid and have more fills, bass passing notes, etc. to make it sound as though a band is performing it. Good work though. I'll be listening for more songs!

Thanks for the welcome and comments.

(I could handle being Joe Walsh) But it's not my "normal" voice. When I wote it, it "just came out" in falsetto. (Think I'll post an "ordinary" vocal as contrast).

Correct - DI guitar, with very subtle chorus. Brittle comment noted. There is a Hammond part in there starting at second verse, maybe should be up in the mix. Now, if I had a bass ...

At present I'm working bare bones. PC with basic Creative Live Audio sound card, Bome's keyboard software for entering anything other than guitar parts, guitar, cheap Sony mike and Home Studio.

Yes, I agree with tendency to sounding stiff. I'm still working on getting the right level of quantization (swing etc) to soften that.

L
    L_M_Newman
    RE: New Member - New Songs 2006/01/13 01:54:47 (permalink)
    I've posted some additional stuff

http://lmnewman.customer.netspace.net.au/

There are now three pieces:

"You and Me" a kind of retro R&B ballad (?). An unusual vocal direction for me.

"Beck and Call Bolero" I'm new to doing instrumentals, but have always loved "Beck's Bolero" my inspiration for this piece.

"I Wish That I Knew Then (What I Know Now). A piano based song, with harmonies etc.

What do you think...? Just click on play button to hear (no log in or download messing around)

L
    Rinkwraith
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: New Member - New Songs 2006/01/13 03:58:56 (permalink)

"I Wish That I Knew Then (What I Know Now). A piano based song, with harmonies etc.
    What do you think...? Just click on play button to hear (no log in or download messing around)

I thought the vocals sounded a touch quiet. They seemed to lack a little presence.
    L_M_Newman
    RE: New Member - New Songs 2006/01/13 05:35:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rinkwraith

"I Wish That I Knew Then (What I Know Now).

I thought the vocals sounded a touch quiet. They seemed to lack a little presence.

Thanks for listening and offering a comment. Hmmm ... could be the mike (it's a cheapie) and the way I'm dealing with the source file. There's a bit of chorus on it and little reverb. Also, I wasn't that happy with all aspects of the "performance" and kept it back in the mix a bit. With age my voice wears out quickly and I can't hold the notes like I used to :-( Yes, I know excuses...
    Rinkwraith
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: New Member - New Songs 2006/01/13 06:04:25 (permalink)
    Maybe just try a bit less chorus and nudge the volume up? I didn't notice any glaring problems with the quality of the vocal - just its place in the mix.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1