Automation problem

Author
fanzzz
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2006/01/09 20:44:04 (permalink)

Automation problem

I'm trying to automate the volume fader during the song and I can't seem to get it going.

I tried in the tracks or clips pane view I think and I tried in the console view. Am I using the wrong area?

I went to the volume in the tracks or console and "right-clicked," as it recommended and nothing came up saying "arm for automation," only a bunch of crap about grouping and ungrouping controls or setting track, I think..stuff like that...

I don't think I can automate anything right now or don't know how.

I also went to the toolbar and tried to find the automation toolbar and it wasn't even lit, but dimmed out were I couldn't access the dirty little rat! :)

Help! I don't know about everyone else, but some of this stuff seems poorly coordinated in the "HELP" topics section. LIke I typed in automation and it brought up some junk about drawing envelopes or some of the more technical aspects of mixing that I wasn't ready to get into to. I just want to so a simple volume track adjustment on things and it should be a lot easier to get going.

Things aren't all on the same page in the help section as in the Getting started booklet...

Mr. Oliver

7 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/09 21:36:08 (permalink)
    MC unfortunately does not do automation. It is a mistake in the manual. You can as it said use envelopes they are not as hard as it might seem.

To make the volume raise or lower at specific points in the track, you first expand the track till it is big enough to see properly, then right click the track and find envelopes, then a line will appear in the wave file of the track, next right click the line and choose add node, place these node where you want the volume to begin to raise and then lower again and place a couple along the way the nodes can be clicked and drug to where you want and up and down to raise or lower the volume.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2006/01/09 21:40:03

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    fanzzz
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/09 22:32:30 (permalink)
    Oh man! What a joke. One of the most basic edits in mixing and it doesn't have it!!! Well, I guess I shouldn't assume much for only $40.. Hmmmm. Well, I can give this to some poor sucker and let them figure it out! :) Heh, heh. What a mean trick to play! Maybe Music Creator Pro has it, which isn't that much more. Eckkk.. Pissed off now.

Oh well, I can try the friggin envelope editing. Might as well learn another trick for now to get through the CD project. Sheesh. I'd really rather they put the basics on here, rather than all the other fancy plug-ins and stuff, personally.

I plan on getting a copy of ABleton Live 4 full version, since I have the half-crap version, which sucks. I like the program itself, just need the full version. Maybe I can snag one off Ebay for a decent price. The automation in that is pretty easy to use. Havta get something more competent for what I want to do.

Mr. Oliver
    fanzzz
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/09 22:36:22 (permalink)
    Well, thanks for saving me some time and insanity trying to figure out why I couldn't follow their manual. :) Maybe I can figure out the envelope editing function. I would like to get into some more of that--micro--editing I like to call it--splicing a note into bits and pieces and atoms and microns and quarks and whatever else we can nano-ize.....

I haven't really gotten into that facet yet--breaking down measures or trimming notes or super small edits. Looks cool, but kinda intimidating. Need to learn it though, so I get better at recording overall.

Mr. Oliver
    electroylite
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/10 00:19:45 (permalink)
    Like robo siad using the envelopes really isnt hard to do. I was quite suprised that it didnt have automation when i first got mc but to be honest i actually like the envelopes better then automation now. I am very visual when i work with my music and the envelopes give me a nice way of "seeing" where my fades are and i can adujst then without even playing the track.

Motagator:http://www.motagator.net/bands/319/
    MySpace:http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=26880723
    MC4, Winxp home media edition sp2, 920 Pentium D Processor, 2.0GB Mem, 300 GB HD, GNX4
    fanzzz
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/10 16:16:39 (permalink)
    Well, it would be nice to do both. Do a general mix through with fader automation and then if need be--more precise edits.

It showed the automation recording in Ableton Live--left it in place for you to see. Maybe it does the same in Cakewalks software which has it.

I tried out the envelopes last night. It brough out a line for the volume, but I am not sure how to get it how I need it--I noticed later on that it had an end where it cuts off. Maybe I can figure out how to pull it or twist it to what it needs to do and not affect the other parts of the track..
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/10 21:01:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Robomusic

MC unfortunately does not do automation. It is a mistake in the manual. You can as it said use envelopes they are not as hard as it might seem.

To make the volume raise or lower at specific points in the track, you first expand the track till it is big enough to see properly, then right click the track and find envelopes, then a line will appear in the wave file of the track, next right click the line and choose add node, place these node where you want the volume to begin to raise and then lower again and place a couple along the way the nodes can be clicked and drug to where you want and up and down to raise or lower the volume.

I would try what Robo suggested, I think you'll find the results to be satisfactory.
    fanzzz
    RE: Automation problem 2006/01/11 19:56:24 (permalink)
    OKay. I go the nodes going alright. Didn't know what I needed to do to get it together at first--like I took the node at the very end and start and tried twisting it around and junk. Not cool@!

Then I realized you needed 3 or 4 nodes at least to do any halfway decent edit and stretch it around all right. Kewl. Got that down now, but what bout the Envelope tool? Doesn't it give you preset shapes to work with? How do I use that? I saw it make a rectangle on an area, but it wouldn't stay.

Also, I noticed the Auxillary clips or envelopes. That is a bit more complicated for most new users, but I assume you use that to route an effect like reverd just to spots, instead of the whole track, which is also a must if you want to be serious about being good at mixing. IN Ableton Live, I think you can automate the effects also--shut em off at certain points and it will record your movements.

Anyways, do you have to set up a buss for the effects to use the auxillary envelopes or how does that work? Thanks guys. I am actually starting to make some nice progress with MC2, despite it's limitations.

Mr. Oliver
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1