String Trio demo

Author
Marko
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 364
2006/01/14 11:17:54 (permalink)

String Trio demo

This is a string trio piece that I did with EWQLSO XP Pro samples. Please give it a listen and let me know what you think. I am particularly interested in getting the dynamics right.

Pastorale and March

Warning. This is not for everyone's taste. It is pretty much in the classical vein.

Marko

7 Replies Related Threads

L_M_Newman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/14 16:59:38 (permalink)
    Well, as someone who knows next to nothing about classical music ... but who likes to hear the occasional string quartet/chamber piece purely for the sound and harmony, I enjoyed listening to this. The sounds were "authentic" (if lacking in vibrato here and there?), balance seemed fine. The main melody/theme good. But as for dynamics ... didn't quite understand ... seemed disjointed.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/15 00:36:40 (permalink)
    I think the music is nice. IMHO, the dynamics were not there. I felt the pizz sections should be more of dolce. The pizz section with the legato line should definitly swell. The intro into the next pizz section would make a better effect if there was a quick cres into it. that pizz section is nice. when it goes into the section after it, it reminds me of stravinsky, the change seems abrupt going back into the main theme. The rest is basicly the same. The first response you got was right, it is disjointed. One trick you could employ to add vibrato is to record each instrument on it's own track then use v-vocal and add vibrato with it. it is time consuming but worth it.
    Marko
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/15 10:28:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for lending me your ears.

I guess the piece is somewhat disjointed. I'll have to work on that.

I think I could rework the pizzicato as you suggest. I'm not sure about manipulating each track and adding vibrato to it. That seems overkill.

Thanks again.

Marko
    gugliel
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/15 14:44:08 (permalink)
    I think the tempo changes, especially ritardandi with pause then change of material, create the sense of disjointedness. Otherwise all the material is very tightly 'jointed', maybe even too little variation in the thematic basis. So, both too much and too little change -- how's that for criticism! Otherwise, it's attractive and fits the mezzo-piano pastel title "pastorale march". I'd re-visit the first 15 seconds and try to distinguish the voices better -- what is the viola doing exactly, and why? Is the 'cello part interesting enough? Can there be rhythm rather than just pulse? Would double stops with rests here and there be better than arpeggios?

www.soundclick.com/guglielmo
    Marko
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/15 19:50:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments Gugliel.

Here's the opening measures without the violin:

First few measures without violin

Marko
    reallifer
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/15 23:51:33 (permalink)
    Nice work Marco,
    The composition level is too high for me to comment on. I was more interested in hearing how EWQL Silver Pro sounds. I have the regular version.

How do you like the Pro version?
    Troy
    Marko
    RE: String Trio demo 2006/01/16 12:56:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Troy. I like the pro version mainly for the close mic samples which I utilize in this piece. I added some reverb via Kontakt2. The short articulations for the violin and the viola are particularly useful for crafting solos. I am still exploring these. The viola samples are excellent on the pro xp version. I think they are more consistent than the violin samples.

By the way, I don't have the entire library. I have the strings, woodwinds and percussion but not the brass. EVentually I will get the brass.

What initially hooked me on the library was the percussion volume. It has an excellent sound.

Marko
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1