cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss

Author
Pavel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/01/17 21:58:55 (permalink)

cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss

I managed to get a nice wav file recorded of my wife playing. Only got a little power hiss from her pre-amp and have a second of dead air at the front of the file.

I converted it to a really nice sounding MP3 file. But that brought the power hiss to the front and can’t figure how to cut the dead second out of the file.

Help?!?

Pavel

I only wanted to edit MP3s for my wife...

8 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/18 02:40:47 (permalink)
    Make sure you save the wave file after doing the MP3 conversion, this way you can go back and make changes.

The his can be removed with noise removal plugins in a good wave editor. but it will affect the wave file. It is better to alway try to eliminate noise up front. as far as gettin grid of dead space just click and slide the wave file to the left. unclick the snap to grid feature and it will slide easier.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/18 17:08:49 (permalink)
    Can you just use gates to cover up the hiss? That would be the quickest way. If the noise is so loud it can be heard during the music, you can try noise reduction (Reduinoise by Voxengo comes to mind, Audacity has some freebies though), but it may not be successful with that high a noise floor. What pres are you using?
    fanzzz
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/18 17:14:02 (permalink)
    Another idea to deal with the dead space is to fade-into the piece or maybe just cut it somehow or drag it into place somehow. Fade-ins can work good on pieces with hiss too--you hear the hiss the most at the start or end up the piece due to your noise-to-signal ratio. You basically hear more hiss than song until the song gets going and at that point--it's harder to notice the hiss. So you can fade-into and out of a piece to help it "look," or sound like it's not as bad as it is! :)

Noise gates are supposed to help. Maybe limiters, compressors can function similar to that.

Mr. Oliver
    brien
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/18 17:34:30 (permalink)
    If you really want to get it out, get it before it gets on:)

Pres shouldn't have that much hiss, unless of course your sound card is not able to be placed in Professional(+4dBu) mode which means you may be having to push the envelope just to get the sound squezzed into the sound card.

In an event, find the "start" location and the exact, precise end location of the hiss(this end point will coincide with a milli-second before the music starts). And then use these start/end points to punch in blank recording.

That should work shouldn't it?

Brien
    Tech Support @:
    http://www.getadotlife.com/
    Robomusic
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/18 20:07:33 (permalink)
    I found the following on another forum and copied it so it might help in some situations

I use Goldwave, In Goldwave I find I can select a portion of the recording that just has the noise, copy that selection to the clipboard, then use Noise Reduction, selecting "Use Clipboard", FFT=12, Overlap=95, Scale=100, and the noise reduction is excellent. Just the noise is removed, but the music tonality is untouched. This works best with low level hum and hiss. For instance, when dubbing a tape to a wave file using Goldwave, I can then sample the tape hiss, use NR and completely remove the hiss (total silence) but the music sounds the same, no loss of highs.

Another feature I use in Goldwave is Match Volume to measure the average volume level of my final mixdowns. I shoot for -16db. If the level deviates more than .5db from that, I remix and create a new mixdown to get the average level I want. That way all tracks on an album sound the same volume level.

Music Town
    joeh20_444
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/18 22:42:56 (permalink)
    I've never really been happy with Goldwave's NR. It's never really impressed me. I'm fond of Audition's myself. It's just solid. Just $.02 and another free post.
    Robomusic
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/19 01:48:40 (permalink)
    Never tried audition, but i did a couple songs the other night using goldwave on these settings and i got almost perfect results, the hiss was gone and the tracks did not lose their dynamics. I would love to try audition, but that dude is a lot of cash, Gold wave is free to try and only $55 to buy.

Music Town
    joeh20_444
    RE: cutting dead air and eliminating background hiss 2006/01/19 18:55:32 (permalink)
    Audition's got a 30-day if I remember right. Goldwave is pretty good, I just never got into it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1