help again!!

Author
Ekstatik
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2006/01/16 21:09:50 (permalink)

help again!!

ok i got my music to finally play out of the computer speakers....and everything is going fine in regards to recording and playback...but i have one other problem....i want to find out how to make a track i record from my keyboard a groove clip so i can have it repeat...wheni right click on the track i can see "groove clip..." but i cannot click it. i know to repeat nething it has to be a groove clip...i think...so im kinda confused

4 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: help again!! 2006/01/16 21:24:02 (permalink)
    Creating Your Own Groove Clips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any audio clip (of a reasonable size) can be a Groove clip.

We are going to take a clip, slip-edit it so that it contains just the parts we want, and open it in the Loop Construction view to add tempo and pitch information to it.

To Create a Groove Clip (example 1)
    In this example we will import a short clip of a bass guitar, slip-edit it and convert it to a Groove clip.

Select File-New to create a new project.
    Right-click the Snap to Grid button to open its dialog box, set the Musical Time duration to Measure, and click OK to close the dialog box.
    Click in the Views toolbar to open the Loop Explorer view.
    In the Explorer view, navigate to the Tutorials folder in the directory where you installed Music Creator.
    Drag and drop the bass.wav file into the new project at measure 1.
    Double-click the clip.
    The Loop Construction view appears. You see that there is silence at both the beginning and end of the clip. We are going to slip-edit the clip so that the clip begins with the attack of the first note and ends as the last note tails off.
    Move you cursor to the beginning of the clip.
    When the cursor changes to look like this , drag the beginning of the clip until you reach the edge of the first rise in the waveform.
    Slip-edit the end of the clip until you reach the end of the last notes decay.
    Note: You can not slip edit a clip that has its Groove clip characteristics enabled. You can turn a clip's Groove clip characteristics on or off either in the Loop Construction view, or in the Clips pane. In the Clips pane, right-click the clip and choose Groove-Clip Looping from the popup menu.
    Click the Enable Looping button on the Loop Construction view toolbar to enable the clip's Groove clip characteristics.
    Music Creator automatically slices the clip and assigns in a number of beats. Notice that Music Creator has sliced this clip at eighth note intervals. This is a clip with a waveform that does not have dramatic transients (sharp rises in volume). For clips like this, markers at beat intervals work best.
    The bass track is now a Groove clip, so you can move it where you want and create repetitions by dragging it out.

Let's create another Groove clip.

To Create a Groove Clip (example 2)
    For this example we are going to use a clip that does not need to be slip-edited.

In the Explorer view, navigate to the Tutorials folder in the directory where you installed Music Creator.
    Drag and drop the drums.wav file into the new project below your bass track at measure 1.
    Double-click the clip.
    Click the Enable Looping button .
    Music Creator automatically slices the clip and assigns in a number of beats. Notice that Music Creator has sliced this clip at eighth notes and at the beginning of some transients. This is a clip with a waveform that has dramatic transients. For clips like this, transient markers work best.
    The markers in the Loop Construction view are used to tell Music Creator where to preserve timing. The idea is to preserve the clip while being able to change the tempo. When a clip has a lot of transients, as this one does, it is a good idea to make sure that the slicing markers fall at the beginning of the transients, thus preserving their timing. This clip has several markers which can be fine tuned to give better results. Let's move some markers to better preserve the timing of this clip.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Ekstatik
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: help again!! 2006/01/17 22:47:09 (permalink)
    ok i did look at those examples in the cake walk manual, but those are .wav files and they are actual files. what i want is to record something off my keyboard and make it a groove clip, not take a sound file off the internet or off my computer and make it a groove clip. i understand how to take a .wav file and make it a groove clip its just that i want to record right there on the spot and quickly make it a groove clip. is there an option where i can make the clip i recorded a groove clip so then i can just have it repeat??
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: help again!! 2006/01/18 02:43:08 (permalink)
    The following was done for making loops with a guitar the process is the same with a keyboard. Loops are the same as groove clips. I hope it helps.

Making Loops in Cakewalk Music Creator

The loop making page in the lesions area of the cakewalk site has some good information, but also has some confusion along with it, as it mentions some features are for Sonar. I spend three years using AcidPro software and became fairly adept at making loops with that program. It has some very advanced loop making tools that make it the king of loops. Having said that loops can be made fairly well in MC as well, it is a decent workable tool, the one feature it lacks is the render looped region only feature that Acid has, to take the fight out of the process. But since Cakewalk is a great all around program bringing both midi and audio together in a very powerful package, and for most of us here a cost effective one at that, it is good to explore the full capabilities of the program, so I put together a simple process to make loops.

As was mentioned in a previous post, loop making helps us where we want to add an instrument we might not be as adept at so that we can have a good outcome, you want to make a song with three chord in it C, D and G, and for instance maybe you play the guitar a bit, but every time you try to play a song and record a whole track of backing acoustic guitar chords you make a mistake somewhere in the track and have to start over, well looping can solve that problem, he is how:

First plug in the guitar or mike it then get ready to play, then open an audio track and arm it. Let’s begin with a “C” chord, Strum a few measures of the chord till you feel that it sounds like you want, now hit record, and strum the “C” chord for about six measures, then hit stop.

Now look at the wave file in the audio track it stretches for six measures, but you only want two measures of the “C” , so listen to the whole track and it sounds pretty good, but the middle two measures are the best sounding, no mistakes.

Take your cursor to the middle of the wave file, and left click, and the whole wave file will turn dark, then slide the cursor to the ruler bar above the track and right click in the gray area of the ruler bar, and a box will appear, find “set loop points”, two yellow arrows will appear above the ruler bar and at each end of the wave file.

Slide those loop points until they are at the beginning and the end of the area that you want to keep as a loop, then hit play the looped area will play over and over, you can fine tune this loop by sliding the loop points until the loop plays perfectly as if you were strumming the guitar on the same chord over and over seamlessly, now that loop area is a perfect loop. (Note that the loop point will only slide to the snap points of the grid, most likely the beginning of each measure, that may be right, but it also may not be a perfect loop, if so then you will need to undo the snap to grid feature, at the bottom of the track view window there is an icon next to the plus (+) and minus (-) icons that looks like a box with a four smaller boxes in it, unclick that and the loop point arrows will slide anywhere you want them too, unaffected by the snap to grid feature.)

Once you have the loop playing flawlessly, then slide the cursor to the ruler bar again and right click, then click on “select looped region”, the area between the loop points will turn dark, now in that area, right click, and choose split, a box will appear, in the box it will have a smaller box that asks for the time to split at, insert the ruler position of the beginning of the looped region, (this will be displayed in the boxes above called “loop from and loop thru” these boxes are on the tool bar between “loop on/off” and “set to loop selection”. If these are not visible on the tool bar then you need to add them from the View/toolbars) and click okay, then repeat for the end of the looped area.

You will see that the area that is looped will split off from the proceeding and following areas of the wave file, now click on and delete the extra areas outside the looped area, now only the wave file in the looped area will remain, the process in not done, to lock in these properties, right click in the middle of the looped area and click Groove-Clip Looping, this will turn the wave file into a groove clip with the tempo and key signature embedded, and make sure that the part you deleted is gone from the file. Now this can be exported to a folder for safe keeping.

Now repeat this process with the “G” chord and the “D” chord and save them now you can import these clips as loops in an audio track and used to build a song add the chords as needed, to make the song structure. This process can be used with drums, bass piano anything to make a complete song.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: help again!! 2006/01/18 12:33:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ekstatik

ok i did look at those examples in the cake walk manual, but those are .wav files and they are actual files. what i want is to record something off my keyboard and make it a groove clip, not take a sound file off the internet or off my computer and make it a groove clip.

Robomusic has given you the complete solution, but you may have missed one point. If you are recording MIDI from your keyboard then it will be necessary to convert it to audio before you follow Robo's tutorial on loops. [lots of info on the forum for the conversion process]

If you have the ability to record audio out of your keyboard [most can] then Robo's guitar example from above will work fine.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1