New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice

Author
JDA
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
2006/01/22 00:49:36 (permalink)

New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice

Hi,
I purchased the Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 mobo and AMD X2 4400+ CPU and looking for advice on the new build. All the parts should be here this week and that's when I plan to try my luck at getting things up and running.

Here are a few questions that I’ve been wondering about.

1) Should the 80GB HD and DVD share the the same IDE cable with the HD being Master and the DVD being Slave or would it be better to connect them individually to the mobo’s two separate IDE connectors and set them both as Master? Does it matter for performance and any pros or cons to either method?

2) What size partitions would you recommend for the 80GB HD that will be used for OS/Programs? Should the OS be on one partition by itself and the Programs on another?

3) What software do I need to make a backup restore disc in case I ever run into problems and need to reinstall everything. I’ve heard of Norton Ghost, Aconis True Image, Casper XP, and Terabyte Boot-It & IFW. I’ve never used any of these before and wanted to find out what’s recommended and is easy to use?

This is my first DAW build, so any other tips & advice is much appreciated!

Here is the List of Parts:

Evercase ECR9400B 4U Rack Case
Antec TP2 550W PSU
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 Mobo
AMD X2 4400+ CPU
2GB OCZ PC 3200 RAM
ATI 9600XT Video Card
WD 80GB PATA for OS/Programs
WD 250GB SATA for Samples
WD 250GB SATA for Audio
Plextor PX-716A DVD/CD
Samsung Floppy Drive
Windows XP Pro SP2
RME Fireface 800 Firewire Audio Interface
Software - Sonar5, Project 5 V2, BFD, and DFHS.

Thanks for the info! JD...
post edited by JDA - 2006/02/01 13:48:57

17 Replies Related Threads

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Help Needed on New DAW Build 2006/01/22 09:59:47 (permalink)
    Wow bet you're excited! I would be too.

here are my suggestions

1) I would keep the two devices on separate IDE channels if you can although I'm not sure if you would notice much (if any) performance hit by making the DVD drive a slave unit on IDE 1. If I was going to make an error in judgment, I'd keep 'em on separate channels just to be safe. To be honest, I've never seen any recommendation anywhere that the master/slave combo is the better of the two alternatives. Never. That might mean something

2) Depends. Here's how mine is set up: I have a dual-boot system because I need internet access from the same PC. So I created two separate partitions for two separate WinXP installations. Both bootable partitions are around 8GB and that is plenty big for just the OS and Sonar together. For my generic OS (the one I use for internet access) I created a separate drive partition (D drive) that I call "Programs" which is where I install all my programs (I don't install programs on the C drive if I can help it). D drive is like 15GB or something like that because I put programs there and also digital pictures, Frontpage files and other working office type stuff. Why do it like that? It made sense to me to keep the OS boot partition as lean and mean as possible. Mainly to facilitate defragmentation and archive backups and such. Smaller partitions are easier to restore than big ones, right?

3) I use Norton Ghost and love it. I might also suggest Norton PartitionMagic. It's a great app for creating and modifying partitions.

Have fun!

post edited by krizrox - 2006/01/22 10:05:48

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    JDA
    RE: Help Needed on New DAW Build 2006/01/22 13:03:33 (permalink)
    Hi Larry,
    I'm hoping all goes smooth with the new build and all the parts work well together.

1) I'll be going with the CD/DVD and HD on separate IDE channels.

2) I think I'll go with Dual Boot in case I need to hook up to the internet or need to use the DAW for other tasks in the future.

3) I purchased Ghost 9/2003 & Partition Magic 8 to help with the new build. I never used either program, so I'll have to figure out how to use them.

Thanks for your help. JD...
    post edited by JDA - 2006/02/01 12:28:36
    JDA
    New DAW Build in Progress 2006/02/01 14:29:28 (permalink)
    Finally getting ready to start on the new build and have a few more questions regarding HD setup and Win XP Pro install.

1) Is it best to only install the One IDE HD and then go back and add the Two SATA HD's after the Win XP Pro install and things are running stable?

2) What size partitions do you recommend for my HD setup? The 80GB IDE will be used for OS & Programs and I plan to do a Dual Boot. Since I'm a new at this and never used Ghost or Partion Magic can you please give a few details on how you would do it. I plan to format my HD's to NTFS, but notice some folks also use FAT32 with Ghost. I'm still reading and trying to make sure I understand Ghost the FAT32 partition bit.

3) Basically the same question as 2, but in regards to the Two SATA 250GB HD's. The one HD will be used for Samples and the other HD for Audio. Is it best to keep all Samples on one partiton or is it better to keep BFD on one partition and DFHS on another?

4) Any advice for Win XP Pro SP2 install and any other hot fixes and drivers that I might need to download? I've never used Win XP Pro and switching from Mac OS X, so this will probably be a trip of its own for me. I have another PC with Win 98 that I use occassionally, so I'm not a total newbie with MS Windows only at DAW building.

Any other tips and suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks! JD...
    dude24man
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress 2006/02/01 16:10:43 (permalink)
    I just finished building a intel pentium D 930 3.0 and a 955xbk. so far so smooth. as far ad HD's go, just install os drive first than install the other drives. on the audio drive i set my cluster size 64k. See how it runs with service pack 2, alot of people are doing well with it. I'll be burning mine in for a couple weeks before I put it into Service though. Good luck and happy building. Arthur www.dmsstudio.com
    kellog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/01 18:15:32 (permalink)
    Looks like a really nice system. I went with the same MB and the 3700. Curious on your video selection JD - any particular reason you picked that card? I need a card for a backup system and usually just get cheap cards or go dual-head. I'm still on CRT's as I haven't got funds for nice big LCD's yet. I'm seeing this card with 256 RAM at pricegrabber for $79.00.

Larry, sounds like good advice. What version of Ghost do you use? You put OS and Sonar on the same small partition?

Thanks,

kellog
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/01 19:36:23 (permalink)
    I've had my current system for about a year, and I have the optical drive as a slave to a HDD--haven't noticed any performance hits; device manager reports all disks functioning at the correct UDMA. If I didn't prefer an internal HDD for Ghost images, I'd probably have the DVD/RW on its own IDE, but I've found the internal HDD for Ghost too useful--fastest backups and restores that way (of course I write my key Ghost images to DVD too). I've been Ghosting to an NTFS drive with no problem, and since both your will be WinXP, you will probably be OK with NTFS too, unless there's something about dual-boot systems I don't know about that would affect things. I'm only running WinXP, single-boot.
    I don't see why all the samples on one partition would be a problem. Wouldn't BFD and DFHS be in their own folders anyway?
    Also, I've been running SP2 for a long time now with no problems. Don't know if it matters, but I did a fresh install with SP2 before installing anything else. If your DAW is going to be connected to the Internet at all it's a must--at least for that install.
    Good luck with your new system!
    JDA
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress 2006/02/01 20:25:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dude24man

I just finished building a intel pentium D 930 3.0 and a 955xbk. so far so smooth. as far ad HD's go, just install os drive first than install the other drives. on the audio drive i set my cluster size 64k. See how it runs with service pack 2, alot of people are doing well with it. I'll be burning mine in for a couple weeks before I put it into Service though. Good luck and happy building. Arthur www.dmsstudio.com

Sounds like a nice setup and that's great all is going smooth with your new build. I'm glad you mentioned the 64k cluster size for the Audio HD. What is the recommended cluster size for the OS HD and Sample HD?

Thanks! JD...
    JDA
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/01 20:50:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kellog

Looks like a really nice system. I went with the same MB and the 3700. Curious on your video selection JD - any particular reason you picked that card? I need a card for a backup system and usually just get cheap cards or go dual-head. I'm still on CRT's as I haven't got funds for nice big LCD's yet. I'm seeing this card with 256 RAM at pricegrabber for $79.00.

Thanks,

kellog

In my research for parts I noticed the ATI 9600XT video card being used successfully with the Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939. I was thinking about getting the Matrox P650, but I got a good deal on the ATI and figured I'd give that a try first. I'm still using a CRT too, but plan to get a nice 19" LCD in the near future.

Thanks! JD...
    JDA
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/01 21:07:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Phoenix
    I've been Ghosting to an NTFS drive with no problem, and since both your will be WinXP, you will probably be OK with NTFS too, unless there's something about dual-boot systems I don't know about that would affect things. I'm only running WinXP, single-boot.
    I don't see why all the samples on one partition would be a problem. Wouldn't BFD and DFHS be in their own folders anyway?
    Also, I've been running SP2 for a long time now with no problems. Don't know if it matters, but I did a fresh install with SP2 before installing anything else. If your DAW is going to be connected to the Internet at all it's a must--at least for that install.
    Good luck with your new system!

Phoenix,
    I'll probably go all NTFS too, unless there is a reason for FAT32. I wish I knew more about all this stuff. I'm new at all this music software and computer recording, so I'm sure you're right with BFD and DFHS being fine on one partition.

You know I didn't plan to hook up the DAW to the internet. I've got slow dial-up here and was going to have a friend download any updates and then transfer them to the DAW. Is this going to be a problem for the new build?

Thanks! JD...
    Phoenix
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/01 22:49:05 (permalink)
    A lot of people don't connect their DAW to the Internet at all; some are very vehement on the subject. If you don't have broadband, and your friend does, it may be more reliable than having to contend with dial-up and possibly getting disconnected or whatever. I know SP 2 can be downloaded as a separate package; I don't know about the individual hotfixes. I don't think it will hurt your system not to be connected to the Internet, and if you are getting a new copy of XP, SP 2 is probably already a part of it anyway. I am going to rearrange my system when I get my new drives and do a fresh install as I always do when I rearrange my hardware; I will take note of which hotfixes I have to install when I first go online and post back. If they are security-related (I seem to recall that most of them are) and you know for sure you won't be connecting your DAW to anything else, you probably won't need them. If any are stability-related, that's a different story, of course.
    JDA
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/01 23:58:26 (permalink)
    Phoenix,
    That's what I'm thinking too on the internet dial-up thing. I just looked at my Win XP Pro and mine does include Service Pack 2. It seems that I do recall there being a firewire fix for SP2 that I'll need to download, since I got the Fireface.

I found this link AMD Dual-Core Install that was very informative and might be helpful to others.

I really appreciate the help.

Thanks! JD...

post edited by JDA - 2006/02/02 01:20:54
    JDA
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/03 01:27:25 (permalink)
    Just a small update:

I put all the hardware together, replaced a fan in the case with a quiet one, and wired everything neatly for good air flow. I'll still need to add the 2 SATA HD's after I get Win XP Pro installed and things are running smooth.

After installing the HSF with Arctic Silver 5 I did power up the system and it posted. I then updated the bios to the newest version and that was successful. So far, so good. :)

I'll probablly call it a night and get back to it tomorrow, but had another question before installing Win XP Pro SP2 & Updates/Drivers.

Should I do anything first to burn everything in properly? I recall a program called memtest and wondering if I should do that first before moving on? Of course, I never used that either, but it shouldn't be too complicated.

Thanks! JD...
    post edited by JDA - 2006/02/03 01:32:45
    Phoenix
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/03 14:27:33 (permalink)
    No, memtest is not complicated at all, you just download it, let it write to a floppy, reboot, and it runs. You can try making the floppy on another PC; if you don't get a blue screen with comprehensible print on it, however, it's not running right and you may have to install XP, burn the floppy from that PC, and then run memtest. I've never heard that it matters whether you do burn-in before or after you run XP.
    JDA
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/03 20:32:22 (permalink)
    I ran memtest86+ last night for a couple hours with no errors and did the same thing again today. I checked PC Health Status in bios and my CPU temperature is currently at 32C at idle. I'm hoping that is a good temperature for the X2 4400+ at idle and that the HSF and Arctic Silver 5 install was a success.

Now it's time for to me to make a decision about the dual boot setup and partition sizes. I think this is the part I dread the most, because I don't understand it as well as I would like to.

Thanks! JD...
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/04 18:35:07 (permalink)
    I had problems several times with Service Pack 2 installation online, on 2 different systems, and decided to order a free CD version of the update from Microsoft.
    It took about a week to receive it.

Now the installation is very quick and totally painless without any hassles. I just install it immediately after an OS install. I highly recommend this. The CD also copies easily, so if a friend has the update on disk, they can share it.
    Phoenix
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/04 19:47:51 (permalink)
    You can also download it here
    (or have your friend do it). This is what I used on both systems and it worked fine.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: New DAW Build in Progress Tips & Advice 2006/02/05 04:48:57 (permalink)
    Yep, anything but having it download and/or install in the background while you're trying to do other things. I swear that tends to corrupt the update.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1