EQ

Author
fanzzz
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2006/01/25 16:52:53 (permalink)

EQ

Well, I'm getting a little closer to where I need to be on the EQ stuff.

I read some in the techniques forum and there was a nice link posted by Chaz, about EQ and whatnot.

When is it better to use a shelf EQ or a peak EQ instead? When should one not use it at all?

One the "Q," does the Q change the freq only vertically(up and down)--like octaves range or width(side to side).

I think I can visualize the shelfs some. It's like taking a layer of bricks on one side of a house not yet built and when you add a shelf EQ to it, it's like pumping up one layer or two layers within all of them, on steroids. :) Weird yes, but I think this works. IT also pumps up all the freq above that area. I read it can change the general tone and also reduce noise?

With a peak shelf or peak EQ I guess, it only does a layer or two and NOT ALL the other stuff below or above.

I assume you can set the shelfs where you want to reduce or boost tone. Can you change size of the shelf by using the Q? I think that's how you do it...

Wish they would show a band of shelf or more the area it affects in the graphical representation--like how wide it is on the freq spectrum. I think it just shows a line.

There were some useful ideas in the article Chaz posted on specific things, which is what I like to read, but nobody has really spelled out the relationships on the presets and bands and shelfs, as much as I would like. Use a preset with a shelf, change the Q? SKip the presets, use a shelf, tweak the Q and a band?

You can use 2 shelfs or peaks at once right? Where would this be recommened above just using the bands or spot treating the EQ?

Mr. Oliver

2 Replies Related Threads

joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: EQ 2006/01/25 21:57:23 (permalink)
    Peaks are specific, shelves are general. Think about it this way: If your track has too much bass, put a high pass (or low shelf, its the same thing) filter in and lower the bass. If the track needs a little more air, put a peak filter in around 16 khz or so with about 3-4 db of gain. Spot treating is always better, because it lets the track sit better. Hope this helps.

Joe
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: EQ 2006/01/25 23:16:45 (permalink)
    The "Q" adjusts the frequency range (width) that is affected by a change in the frequency slider. You can boost a bunch of db's at 10 khz, but how does that affect the surrounding frequencies. With a high Q, the surrounding frequencies are also boosted, with a low - or narrow - Q, only the 10 khz can be boosted. Think of the eq wave form as a gently sloping hill - that's a wide Q. If the eq wave is a spire, that's a narrow Q.

Jeff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1