still stuck on midi to audio

Author
progdrummer1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2006/01/25 19:58:53 (permalink)

still stuck on midi to audio

OK i followed the tutorial, and got stuck on step 3.

when it was time to click the the fly out menu and pick STEREO for the audio track in put, the only choice was NONE.

I did pull up the mixer window and do the instructions, but the track still only had NONE as a choice.
suggestions?

13 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: still stuck on midi to audio 2006/01/25 20:30:28 (permalink)
    To Convert MIDI to Audio
    1. Make sure that the Audio Engine button in the Transport toolbar is in the up (disabled) position.
    2. Select Options-Audio to open the Audio Options dialog and click the Input Monitoring tab. Make sure the audio device
    you are using to record the MIDI is not selected and click OK.
    3. Pick a destination audio track (or create a new one) and set the In field to Stereo (name of your sound card).
    4. Arm the destination track.
    5. Mute or archive any tracks that you don't want to record to the destination track.
    6. If Music Creator metronome is set to use any software synth to produce a click, disable the metronome during recording
    option in the Project Options dialog box. To do this, select Options-Project to open the Project Options dialog box,
    select the Metronome tab and uncheck Recording in the General section. Alternatively, you could set the metronome
    to use the PC speaker and not use a MIDI note.
    7. Open your sound card's mixer device. This is normally done by double-clicking the speaker icon on your Windows
    taskbar, or by choosing Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Volume Control-Options-Properties.

O am still trying to find anything here that says Fly Out ..

Let's make this simple, assuming you have a midi drum track made, and are using Microsoft synth GS.

1. open a new AUDIO track

2. arm the AUDIO track (click the litle red R in the track view)

3. hit the red dot on the transport bar Waa Laa a new audio drum track.

If using Edirol VSC instead of Microsoft synth GS

1. open a new AUDIO track

2. Find the FX box and right click, chose DXi synths, and click on Edirol VSC

3. Go back to the midi track and select edirol VSC as the output

4. Go to EDIT and click Bounce to Tracks(s)

Once a gain Waa L... never mind if that does not work post back.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    progdrummer1
    RE: still stuck on midi to audio 2006/01/26 10:19:52 (permalink)
    OK I will try these directions and post back on what happens. I am a beginner at this, and must admit there is some vocabulary in there I don't get yet (i.e "edirol").

FYI my midi device is a roland TD 6V Vtour digital drum set, which I tie in with a midi to usb cable.

Thanks for teking the time to help--I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave
    progdrummer1
    still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/26 20:26:37 (permalink)
    OK i tried the second set of directions, using edirol.

steps 1-3 seemed to go fine, but on step 4, picking edit-bounce tracks, nothing appears to happen.
    i note that the audio track seems able to respond to switches for solo and mute, but not record.

any hints?

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/26 22:32:33 (permalink)
    Do you have your sound card/ Windows mixer set up to record audio? Greg
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/27 01:11:53 (permalink)
    Oh never mind!

post edited by millerbill - 2006/01/27 01:17:31
    Robomusic
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/27 02:30:43 (permalink)
    The audio track should not respond, other than the fact that the midi runs thru it to make the "New" audio track recorded from the bounce.

Make sure that the Midi track is a "MIDI" track, and the Edirol Is in an audio track, then the bounce should work

Music Town
    progdrummer1
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/27 11:27:18 (permalink)
    In reply to Greg: I haven't been able to access the sound card settings. I run windows XP Pro 2002. Hints?

In reply to robo: I wil try as suggested. How do I know when it has worked, does a new "EKG" track appear?

dave
    Robomusic
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/27 11:41:48 (permalink)
    Yes a wave file track will appear, if you have that and can't hear anything then the problem is audio output.

Also to access the sound card, go to start/control panel sounds and audio devices and se what is listed there as the sound card.

Under options/audio what appears in the playback and record devices drop down boxes?

It should be your sound card as the playback and record device, and if you go to the little speaker icon in the lower right hand system tray of the computer screen, and click that a window will pop up and you should be able to see if playback and record are muted or enabled

Music Town
    progdrummer1
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/27 11:58:35 (permalink)
    i tried following the turtorial, though for setting record volumes, the only options offered were microphone and stereo mix.

under sound, the PLAY and RECORD devices are sigma-tel C Major audio. The midi play device is Microsoft GS wavetable SW synth (im at work right now and my digikit is at home). Everything appears to be un-muted. The sound card is enabled.

suggestions?
    Robomusic
    RE: still STILL stuck on audio out 2006/01/27 13:59:13 (permalink)
    lright, i think i am getting a handle on the problem. I went back and re-read the post, and it seems that we are mixing devoces here I noticed at one point you were talking audio and at another Midi devices, and then later we were all talking audio again.

Let's clarify some things, Midi and audio are not the same, and even are two different mediums altogether.

Midi is a stream of data that tells a synthesizer what note to play, and how to play it velocity, patch, root note Etc. The synthesizer takes the data and interprets it and then plays it thru a sample or oscillator to make audio wave sound. but midi data by itself can not make any sound it is simply instructions, like when you type on the computer and it interprets bits and bites into letters on the screen and print medium.

Audio is actual digital sound recording like talking into a mike sends voice to the sound card and that converts it to digital wave file and stores it, then sends it back to the sound card output and re-plays it as analog sound waves. Much like a tape recorder does with all analog signal.

So having explained that i gather that you are sending midi data to the computer from a midi drum machine or set so here is what has to happen

1. for wave audio to reach your ears, the sound card must be setup as the in and out for audio in the program.

2. the usb port must be recognized as the midi input device.

3. the midi drum machine must send the midi data on the same channel as the midi
    track that receives it.

4. the midi track must output to either microsoftsynth GS, or to another softsynth program, that the program routes to the audio output.

Music Town
    progdrummer1
    RE: still stuck on midi to audio 2006/01/27 15:19:48 (permalink)
    some info:

the 2 tracks I'm trying to convert from midi to audio are both from my digikit. One track was written in through the computer keyboard, and the other is live play. They open, play, modify, save, etc fine. I usually have the screen stuff going to a track set to input on MIDI OMNI, and live play is input on channel 10. If you give me an email address, I could try and send you the midi file.

the sticking point seems to be that cakewalk doesn't seem to know that my laptop soundcard exists.

"for wave audio to reach your ears, the sound card must be setup as the in and out for audio in the program"-- perhaps this is the problem.

Under OPTIONS-AUDIO, the Playback wave device is blued to NONE, with no choices, and the record wave device is all gray, under the GENERAL tab.

How can I convince cakewalk it has a sound card?

Dave

millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: still stuck on midi to audio 2006/01/27 15:45:49 (permalink)
    I never assume anymore, but you have run the Wave Profiler - Correct?
    Some think that because it says Wave it has nothing to do with MIDI but it is the most basic necessity.
    To Manually Run the Wave Profiler
    Choose Options-Audio to open the Audio Options dialog box, and click the General tab.
    Click Wave Profiler.

My only other thought is your onboard soundcard ... we've had this discussion a lot around here.

The sigma-tel C Major audio card might well be described as The sigma-tel C Major PAIN.

Numerous problems have popped up on these cards. Unfortuantely your best solution may well be a New Soundcard.
    With all you have done - it should be working. This is a problem with the card not Cakewalk.

Others have had some success with selecting the option - "use only MME drivers." Actually, the Cakewalk forums are loaded with queries
    from users who cannot even hear Midi playback until they set the Music
    Creator/Sonar Audio Options to use the MME interface. Sigma Tel C-Major Audio apparently only runs in the MME interface rather than the newer WDM mode. [It will run, they say with ASIO - but not in Music Creator.]

Under Options | Audio | Advanced check the option to always use MME drivers(or MME next to Driver Mode) and then press Ok and restart Cakewalk. Next, select only your soundcard under Options | Audio | Drivers. Then, try it again.

If it works - the sound quality will still be pretty poor.

Our last serious discussion of this issue was about six months ago:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.asp?m=526579&key=sigma%2Ctel

post edited by millerbill - 2006/01/27 15:56:58
    Robomusic
    RE: still stuck on midi to audio 2006/02/01 00:18:34 (permalink)
    Sure send me the midi file. i will check it out.

secureincome@cox.net

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1