Really big HDDs--pros and cons

Author
Phoenix
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1886
2006/01/29 22:03:33 (permalink)

Really big HDDs--pros and cons

I've been watching the prices of HDDs, thinking as I said in other posts of adding audio drive space, and it just seems that they are showing bigger and bigger HDDs--I saw a 400GB Seagate for $200, with a 16MB cache. Are these big drives the same as the smaller ones (I never thought I'd consider 120 GB "smaller") or is something different to enable them to fit more data? Are they better for audio, the same, or worse? Shoulld they be partitioned? And if one gets a drive that big, how do you back it up?

16 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/29 22:53:52 (permalink)
    Check the specs at the makers home page. You want as few platters as you can get. More platter, more heat, more noise. So the most storage on the least number of platters is best. I think the 400 is the sweet spot. The more data per platter the faster access also.

As for backups you will need a ton of optical media or a second hard drive in an external enclosure. I do both.

Make sure your motherboard can handle a drive the size you want. Most newer ones a not a probem. As long as you format NTSF you can make the partitions as large as you want. On the drive that stays in the computer (second drive) I make one 20 or 30gig FAT32 partition to Ghost my C: drive to and the rest one big drive formated NTFS.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/01/29 23:00:53
    Phoenix
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/29 23:26:19 (permalink)
    I'll keep that in mind. Useful info, definitely. My mobo's new enough, I think; I only got it last year (it's an MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum).
    I see Western Digitals on NewEgg.com with 3 platters (that Seagate I mentioned has 4; took a while to track that down. WDC's specs pages are easier to read). I'm still shopping around; but I need the info to know what to think of the deals that come up, so thanks, Frank.
    I kind of had a sudden drop in audio drive space when I installed some big softsynth libraries, so it got me thinking, but I think I've got time to deal-shop. How full can an audio drive get before you start getting low disk space warnings, anyway?
    post edited by Phoenix - 2006/01/29 23:42:06
    ohhey
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/30 02:08:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Phoenix

I'll keep that in mind. Useful info, definitely. My mobo's new enough, I think; I only got it last year (it's an MSI 865PE Neo2-P Platinum).
    I see Western Digitals on NewEgg.com with 3 platters (that Seagate I mentioned has 4; took a while to track that down. WDC's specs pages are easier to read). I'm still shopping around; but I need the info to know what to think of the deals that come up, so thanks, Frank.
    I kind of had a sudden drop in audio drive space when I installed some big softsynth libraries, so it got me thinking, but I think I've got time to deal-shop. How full can an audio drive get before you start getting low disk space warnings, anyway?

I have no idea, I never let mine get close. My lifes work is only 30 gig LOL !
    Phoenix
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/30 19:34:07 (permalink)
    I know what you mean; my Cakewalk Projects folder is not that big. It's the DXi/VST libraries that eat up all the room, as well as other sample libraries and loops. I'm sort of synthed out right now, anyway, so maybe my audio drive won't fill up so fast after all.
    post edited by Phoenix - 2006/01/30 21:11:27
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/30 20:37:36 (permalink)
    Hey Frank...or anybody...
    I'm about to format some drives for a new DAW.
    I've got a 100GB for C which will be OS/Programs...Probably over kill but it was cheap...
    160 GB for D which will be audio data
    200 GB for E which is samples loops etc.
    I back up everything to an external firewire drive.
    Any advantage to partitioning the C drive and allocating say 30 gigs for Windows as Fat32 and the remaining 70GB as NTFS?

Thanks,
    RLD
    post edited by RLD - 2006/01/31 16:30:02
    RLD
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/31 16:25:41 (permalink)
    Bumpadump...
    Phoenix
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/31 18:55:23 (permalink)
    FWIW, I researched the NTFS/FAT32 thing when I built my current system, and the consensus favored NTFS for everything unless you intend to have a dual-boot system, with one of the OS's needing FAT32. So I went NTFS all the way and haven't regretted it. I did make two partitions on a 12oGB drive, though, a smaller one for OS and programs, and a larger for data storage. That way you can defrag just the OS/programs partition if needed without having to do the whole drive. I think it's also better for Ghosting.
    post edited by Phoenix - 2006/01/31 18:59:31
    Brett
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/01/31 22:06:30 (permalink)

Remember all discs die, it's just a matter of time. The bigger the disc, the bigger the problem. Backup, backup, backup.

RLD
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/01 11:25:18 (permalink)
    Almost ready to format...
    ohhey
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/01 11:29:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RLD

Almost ready to format...

Yes, make a fat32 partition !! You can use it for Ghost backups of the C: partition and you can also set your swap file over there. It will make swap access faster and keep it from getting fragmented. Very handy.

Be sure to burn your Ghost to a DVD because when the backup partition on the same drive it will do you no good if the drive fails. Also, set your swap file to that fat32 partition and set the C: partition for no swap file before you start your Ghost backup. This will make the Ghost much smaller. You don't need to backup your swap file because it will get re-created if it's missing when you restore your Ghost.

Get Ghost and backup the C: partition with it before every install of software, service pack, driver, etc.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/02/01 11:37:03
    RLD
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/01 12:16:03 (permalink)
    I guess I'm confused on where you'd put these partitions.
    Let's try this...
    This is my drive setup.
    I've got a 100GB SATA for C which will be OS/Programs.
    160 GB SATA for D which will be audio data

I want to keep D & E just audio and sample data.
    How would you partition C?

Thanks,

RLD
    ohhey
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/01 14:41:35 (permalink)

I guess I'm confused on where you'd put these partitions.
    Let's try this...
    This is my drive setup.
    I've got a 100GB SATA for C which will be OS/Programs.
    160 GB SATA for D which will be audio data

I want to keep D & E just audio and sample data.
    How would you partition C?

Thanks,

RLD

You would make two partitions on the 100gig drive. A primary partition of about 70 gig or so. Format it NTFS (XP will make you do that anyway because of the size). Then make an extended partition using the rest of the space on the drive, make sure it's less than 32 gig if you start with 100 then it should be. Then make one logical drive inside that extended partition and format it FAT32, you will need to pull down the selection because it will default to NTFS I think. After you get that logical drive created right click on it and change the drive letter to one above all your other drives. "S" would be good since it will have the swap file. That would make it easy to remember what it is. Also set the volume label to "Swap File" and that will show up in Windows explorer. Then create primary partitions on the other two drives using the entire drive and format those NTFS.

Then right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced Tab and click the Performance - Settings button. Click the Advanced tab and in the Virtual Memory section click the Change button. Click on the S drive and select System managed size and click the "Set" button. Then go back to the C drive and select No paging file and click the "Set" button. At this point you will need to reboot and log back in. Go back in and double check that the change took effect and that there is no page file on C: You should see more space avialable on C: if not you will need to find and delete the old page file. Let me know if you do and I'll talk you through it.

You can use Disk Management to assign the drive letters to your other partitions to what ever you want. If an optical drive already has that letter then you will need to change it first to get it out of the way.

Keep in mind you don't have to put the FAT32 partition on the first drive with C: If you wanted to have your swap and Ghost backups on a different drive like the sample drive you could do that also, however, it's not a good idea to put it on the audio drive you don't what swap activity while you are playing projects off that drive. In your case the OS drive might be the best choice.
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/02/01 14:47:31
    RLD
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/01 16:13:36 (permalink)
    OK Frank...I'm almost with you...
    So a 70 gig NTFS partition and a 30 gig Fat partition...
    Windows in installed on the 70 and the 30 is for swap and ghost?
    Why not use my external firewire drive for the ghost?

Thanks

RLD
    tomek
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/02 02:14:49 (permalink)
    Any advantage to partitioning the C drive and allocating say 30 gigs for Windows as Fat32 and the remaining 70GB as NTFS?

No.
    Keep everything NTFS.

Considering the size of the OS drive (100GB)
    it is awfully tempting to partition it because your OS will never need that much.
    Seems kind of a waste not to, I know...

Personally,
    I think having three HD drive letters is a good amount.

Anything over that,
    can start becoming partition management overhead.

I can see any practical application for creating more partitions...

UNLESS (haha there is aways something)
    You do not have much RAM and plan on swapping to HD allot.
    In which case, you may want to create a small swap partition at the begging of your XP drive.
    Keep the swap on the XP drive so it won't interupt the sample streaming or audio recording drives.

Hope that helps,
    Tomek.

-edit
    opps for some reason I didn't scroll down after the question and see people already replied. HA!
    (sorry was out of it) Oh well, here is my reply anyway! hehe
    post edited by tomek - 2006/02/02 17:57:59
    ohhey
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/02 10:37:19 (permalink)

OK Frank...I'm almost with you...
    So a 70 gig NTFS partition and a 30 gig Fat partition...
    Windows in installed on the 70 and the 30 is for swap and ghost?
    Why not use my external firewire drive for the ghost?

Thanks

RLD

You can if your motherboard bios supports booting to a USB device. I tried it once and it took about a hour to do what an IDE attached drive does in about 10 mins. That was the last time I tried it. The deal seems to be on mine that when you boot to a USB device it must be operating at USB 1.x speed. If there were a motherboard that would boot to USB 2 or firewire that would be way cool. In fact my Ghost would fit on one of those dongle size flash memory things that would be way cool.

The other problem I had was that accessing the external drive changed the order of boot devices in my BOIS each time I used it and it was just too much trouble to set it back every time. It took me three or four reboots to do the Ghost and get back to normal.
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Really big HDDs--pros and cons 2006/02/02 12:36:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Phoenix

I've been watching the prices of HDDs, thinking as I said in other posts of adding audio drive space, and it just seems that they are showing bigger and bigger HDDs--I saw a 400GB Seagate for $200, with a 16MB cache. Are these big drives the same as the smaller ones (I never thought I'd consider 120 GB "smaller") or is something different to enable them to fit more data? Are they better for audio, the same, or worse? Shoulld they be partitioned? And if one gets a drive that big, how do you back it up?

I use an internal 250Gb SATA HD for my system drive, and another internal 250Gb SATA HD for my audio drive. No complaints here.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1