Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech

Author
Zeplin
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
2006/01/31 15:03:35 (permalink)

Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech

(shouldn't be here, I know, Sorry, but we need your help)

http://www.supportdenmark.com

Earlier last year, a childrens book was being written. However, it was impossible to get anyone to draw Muhammed, the Islamic Prophet, of fear of being "hunted down" by islamic extremists (since its against their religion to depicture Muhammed). Because of this, the (independent) newspaper Jylands-Posten got 12 people gathered, that were willing to draw Muhammed, in light of the matter (the pictures can be seen here: http://www.quickrob.com/political/muhammed_cartoons.html).
There was an uproar in the islamic societies.
A few months ago, a nordish newspaper re-printed the same pictures.
About a month or so ago, a couple of danish Mulla's decided to go around the world, suggesting that all muslims around the world should boycot any and all danish products.
You can read more on the matter here:
http://denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,880218&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
http://195.224.230.11/english/?id=15591
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=18986_The_Cartoon_Jihad#comments

Short in short:
Countries are now demanding that the newspaper, the goverment, and the danish Queen all apologize for printing the pictures. They (the (extremist) muslims) also want us to legislate further that we cannot print pictures of Muhammed, and they want the goverment to close down the newspaper, and as such directly cutting away freedom of speech and press (all have denied apologizing for printing the pictures, they have though said they were sorry people were so offended, but that they did nothing wrong). The danish flag has been set on fire. Threats have been made. Images of bombs over danish tourist attractions have been posted on the web. However, we stand firm. Over 80% of the danish population feel that no one should be apologizing for anything, especially not having freedom of speech, and we will not back down on that.

Arla, a danish diery company, is loosing up to 10 million kr. a day right now, and need to fire 100's of workers.

So what I want from you? Buy any danish products if you can.
If not, then go here: http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/21097.html and voice your oppinion.

And please, if you have a blog, a website, visit any forums. Post this. Feel free to copy/paste this as it is.
Please just get this out. Get it on the web more.

Some usefull links:
A banner: http://www.ridingsun.com/files/BuyDanishGif2.GIF
Where you can buy danish products: http://www.danishfood.net/

I hope you'll help us out in some form or another.
post edited by Zeplin - 2006/01/31 15:10:17

http://www.mentalmirage.com

13 Replies Related Threads

Internalized Sun
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/01/31 15:51:52 (permalink)
    OK - I know my guts tell me to shut up - BUT...
    There are many Danish guys (me included) that know that Muslims will get offended by these pictures and find the pictures to be offending for any Muslim - therefor we fully understand the rage, but not the proportions this has turned into.

I also fell bad that this topic is actually posted in this forum just because most people read it - this forum is for Sonar - not anything else...
    So I would feel better if someone (moderator) would move this topic to the "Off-topic" forum.

I do find that the topic is important, but public posts like this might fire even more rage if someone is saying something offending - even unintentionally...
    I feel that most of the topic has turned into these proportions because of our lack of understanding each other...

'Nuff said... please move this post to the "Off-topic".

Darned - I did speak publically!
    Dennis P

2+4 ~ 5?!? Why don't I get the math behind DSP programming?!

Windows 10 Pro x64 , i7 980X, 12GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum
    Music made at home with Sonar 5/6/8 Producer and Sonar Platinum Edition at:
    http://soundcloud.com/internalized-sun
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/01/31 16:00:01 (permalink)
    I've been drinking as much Bear Beer as I can find, but I'm only one man!

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/01/31 16:09:28 (permalink)
    Good news in the UK. Our wretched government just lost a Commons vote a half an hour ago on its 'Religious Offence' bill. The House of Lords (bless 'em) had bounced it back with amendments because it posed a real threat to the free speech our country is supposed to have championed for a thousand years. (The real purpose of the bill was to placate/win votes from the Muslim population here). The prospect of such an outrageous bill had caused a justifiable outcry from actors and comedians who feared prosecution for making gags about anyone's beliefs. We live in scary times, cf. Denmark. Of course, some peoples' idea of free speech is "I can say what I like about you but if you insult me or my beliefs I want you locked up." We must hold the line.

I'll be buying Danish this week. (Actually your bacon's not as nice as ours but I'll make an exception )
    post edited by Skyline_UK - 2006/01/31 16:19:15

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/01/31 16:18:40 (permalink)
    What goes around comes around. All of the special interest groups that have been clamoring for political correctness and the stamping out of hate speech probably never figured upon the pendulum continuing to swing. Now the religious groups don't want to be offended, either. Unfortunately, the cat is already out of the bag. Now everybody is going to be 'offended'.

FWIW, we recently bought a dining table made in Denmark. It is brillinantly designed, and extremely well built. We think it's the best table we have ever had, even counting our parents. So, cheers for Danish furniture products!

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Shamrock
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 13:02:24 (permalink)
    What about Google and China, or the nuclear situation in Iran, or the Punxsutawney Groundhog?
    It's unreasonable to use a forum just because it's there for any reason. And I do have strong views on the Danish newspaper. Some one needs to move this.
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 13:15:55 (permalink)
    personally I reserve the right to take the piss out of ANY deity, god or folk-lorish being - whatever the damn religion.

This whole thing is stupid, makes muslims look stupid and feeds the fires of hatred.

Geez, if they dont like cartoons why the hell are people in the MIDDLE DAMN EAST reading DANISH DAMN CARTOONS???

(edit) alot of damns 'cos I've had a bad day heh.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
    post edited by daverich - 2006/02/02 13:20:14

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 13:33:50 (permalink)
    One man's *blasphemy* is another man's *truth*. For those not old enough to remember, there was a popular bumper sticker making the rounds in the Sixties... it simply said "Legalize Freedom". I believe we should, you know?
    tombuur
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 13:35:43 (permalink)
    Sure Dave, once again we seem to be sharing the same problems.
    tonyd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 13:53:07 (permalink)
    Absolutely, buy Danish.
    Waldemar Brisk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 14:17:42 (permalink)

Over 80% of the danish population feel that no one should be apologizing for anything, especially not having freedom of speech, and we will not back down on that.

That's fine: don't. I wish thousands of papers all around the world would publish those pictures to once an for all mark that freedom of speech is a greater value than fundamentalistic bigotry of any colour.

Arla, a danish diery company, is loosing up to 10 million kr. a day right now

So that's the price of freedom of speech? You want us to express political passions for a Danish dairy company?!

Administrators, please remove this topic. This is not a forum for political appeals, and certainly not for dairy business.

wb

Miracles done while you wait;
    the impossible takes slightly longer.
    Internalized Sun
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 399
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 15:14:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tonyd

Absolutely, buy Danish.

Wow - actually a revelant post (to a Cakewalk forum anyway...) - I still feel it should be moved to the Off-topic area!

Cheers,
    Dennis P

2+4 ~ 5?!? Why don't I get the math behind DSP programming?!

Windows 10 Pro x64 , i7 980X, 12GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum
    Music made at home with Sonar 5/6/8 Producer and Sonar Platinum Edition at:
    http://soundcloud.com/internalized-sun
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 15:33:57 (permalink)
    This behaviour by religious extremists is deplorable, but please let's have some consistency.

These Muslims are in my view over-reacting by behaving in the way they are. But are they that much different from the Christian Ayaztollahs who are trying to get the movie Bareback Mountain banned, for example, especially when there is nothing even in Bareback Mountain that can reasonably be said to be mocking their religion?

So yes, I agree with Zeplin, but I wouldn't single out just one religion for criticism in this regard.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    brendantownsend
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: Help Denmark - Support Freedom of Speech 2006/02/02 15:57:57 (permalink)

Life's a ****, and we all suffer it.

People get offended for this and that, whilst others die through suffering and starvation - but life goes on.

This is a music forum, not a political arena.

Puhlease!!!

S6Pro; P5v2; XV-5080; V-Drums+SPD11; 2x Delta 1010; Soundcraft 24ch; TC M3000 Reverb; Keystation Pro88; Alesis M1Active 620; Dual 3.2GHz 2+2MB; 4GB 800MHz XMS-2; 5x 10krpm HDD; RAID-0; XP PRO & 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1