V-Vocal vocal tuning?

Author
beemerboy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/02/01 10:19:22 (permalink)

V-Vocal vocal tuning?

Right now I'm using Melodyne Uno for vocal tuning, but it doesn't work well INSIDE Sonar4, so I have to close the project then load the wav into Melodyne, and then back --big pain. Plus, you need to hear it WITH the background music to do a good job of tuning a vocal.

Anyone using and LIKING the vocal tuner that comes with Sonar 5? Thinking of upgrading, but only for that one feature (and not looking forward to the accompanying hardware upgrade).

Airhead

17 Replies Related Threads

Ax_MuBai
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/01 10:53:04 (permalink)
    I also talked about that in this thread

I'm not sure if V-Vocal is that good but I couldn't reject the temptation. I've bought SONAR 5 last Monday. I hope it's OK.

Anyway, I don't dicard moving to a best platform.

My dream is total MIDI control for tuning vocals or whatever. I mean:

- One tool to extract MIDI notes from an audio take.
    - After that you work on the MIDI world changing whatever you want (also velocity and volumes). Quantization, etc.
    - One tool to convert this MIDI track (or any other) to audio, based on the original WAVE.

I think there 's good stuff in the ProTools world. Take a look at this.

Melodyne seemed to be a good option, until your complaints. And in any case it does not implement midi2audio conversion.

If someone knows about a good plugin for SONAR, to tune vocals or whatever in a MIDI basis way, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Alberto.

Computer: HP Z210
    Soundcard: FastTrack C600
      DAW:
     - Sonar X1 PE
     - ProTools MP9
     - Ableton live 8
    External modules: Korg Triton Rack
    Drums: Roland TD-12 V-drums
    Guitar: Fernandes Strato-like gt + Roland Boss GT-10
    Mixer: Behringer EURORACK UB2442FX-PRO
    My band

losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/01 14:03:28 (permalink)
    Hi beemer, Hola Alberto,

The integration of V-Vocal is really hard to beat. A huge difference over the export/process/import route... in the positive direction. Imagine being able to do vocal edits where the marker in the vocal window tracks the project marker, and the Play button plays everything.

The quality is for the most part, pretty darn good. There are some issues with sibilants "phasing", but there are workarounds for this if you are sufficiently picky. Search around for threads on using V-Vocal... there are lots of shortcuts and tips for getting the most out of it.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    tubedude
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/02 03:13:35 (permalink)
    It works very well, bro. The integration rocks. Keep in mind that your singer should be CLOSE to being with htough.
    bogdan
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/03 20:34:04 (permalink)
    I upgraded to Sonar 5 also because of V-Vocal. Unfortunately, I was not that happy with it. The stretch function is not really working well. It creates clicks/pops and also pitch tuning cannot be disabled if you only want to do stretching.

The problem is only present in version 5.0.1. I was told by Cakewalk Tech Support that they introduced some bugs in V-Vocal with 5.0.1 patch. They would probably fix them in the next patch. Version 5.0.0 did not have this problem. Unfortunately, my installation disk has only version 5.0.1.

As for the tuning, the quality of tuning is not even close to the quality of AutoTune. Once you use AutoTune, you would never go back to V-Vocal. V-vocal has better interface for stretching, but as I said it doesn't really function in 5.0.1 version... Tuning interface is much better in AutoTune.

Regards,
    Bogdan
    Dave Horch
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/04 04:52:01 (permalink)
    Like most of us, I'm fairly new to V-Voc, but my early observations is that the resultant output sounds very "computerized". For grins, I flew the same vocal track out to Audition, used their Pitch Correction effect, and got very natural sounding results. It just sounded human.

I don't know if AA wrote the pitch correction code themselves, or if they lifted it from somewhere, but to me they did a very nice job with the actual audio part. The interface is very basic, not nearly as slick and graphical as V-Voc, plus you *do* have to fly the track out/in - but but but, it's the resultant *sound* that counts in the end.

Of course, your mileage may vary - but my ears don't hear obvious "pitch correction" using AA p/c, whereas V-Voc is very obvious. But, you know, perhaps I'm not using v-voc correctly... Just my observations thus far.. best, -Dave
    bogdan
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 00:04:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dave Horch

Like most of us, I'm fairly new to V-Voc, but my early observations is that the resultant output sounds very "computerized". For grins, I flew the same vocal track out to Audition, used their Pitch Correction effect, and got very natural sounding results. It just sounded human.

I don't know if AA wrote the pitch correction code themselves, or if they lifted it from somewhere, but to me they did a very nice job with the actual audio part. The interface is very basic, not nearly as slick and graphical as V-Voc, plus you *do* have to fly the track out/in - but but but, it's the resultant *sound* that counts in the end.

I agree. Before getting Antares Auto Tune, I used Adobe Audition for all my tuning needs. It sounds very good, but sometimes is a bit time consuming to go through and tune a channel.

Adobe Audition was previously Cool Edit Pro. I suspect they developed the algorithm themselves.

Auto Tune is nice since the tuning interface is very simple and very powerful. You can adjust sensitivity for pitch tracking as well as how close you want to follow the target pitch, etc. Very good graphic interface, etc. I use Auto Tune as a Dxi plug-in within Adobe Audition which is my primary wave editor.

Bogdan
    losguy
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 00:23:44 (permalink)
    The AA pitch correction is smooth and has a pretty good GUI, but the algorithm has no formant correction. Try to move things more than a semitone (sometimes less) and you can hear formant distortion artifacts. I have AA (started back in the CoolEdit days) and while it's my total go-to wave editor, I still very much prefer V-Vocal. Set up right, I find that it's a great vocal editor.

Paul G
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 08:30:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: losguy

The AA pitch correction is smooth and has a pretty good GUI, but the algorithm has no formant correction. Try to move things more than a semitone (sometimes less) and you can hear formant distortion artifacts. I have AA (started back in the CoolEdit days) and while it's my total go-to wave editor, I still very much prefer V-Vocal. Set up right, I find that it's a great vocal editor.

Hey Carlos. I haven't tried V-Vocal yet but have had very good results with Melodyne Uno rewired to Sonar. My brother sent me a track that he had processed with V and I wasn't impressed. Of course I don't know exactly what he did to the track either.

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
    1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 10:21:18 (permalink)
    pitch tuning cannot be disabled if you only want to do stretching.

But of course you don't need it disabled to stretch audio so it doesn't matter.

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    losguy
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 12:17:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Paul G
    Hey Carlos. I haven't tried V-Vocal yet but have had very good results with Melodyne Uno rewired to Sonar. My brother sent me a track that he had processed with V and I wasn't impressed. Of course I don't know exactly what he did to the track either.

Paul, you may be spoiled by Melodyne, too. I may try it sometime, if I can get past the whole non-integrated aspect of it. Rewire may help... it would be hard for me to go back to flying wavs out and in like I used to do with Audition for vocal takes.

There is a bit of an art to V-Vocal. I find that I don't use it the same as others who posted... my technique is a blend of the V-Vocal video, others' recommendations, and my own findings from muddling around.

flatpicknut
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 270
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 13:04:14 (permalink)
    I was not happy with previous efforts of pitch correction in Audition, so was excited to try V-Vocal. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it, but V-Vocal seems to make some pretty big errors in trying to figure out where pitches are. (Probably my poor singing, but I've heard worse and was hoping to make it better!) For some reason, after a frustrated evening of trying to use V-Vocal, I took a vocal back to Audition (1.5) and used the defaults and the changes were very nice and musical. Big improvement over the original track. So, I'll be doing more with Audition, but I'm not giving up on V-Vocal YET.
    Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 14:45:34 (permalink)
    Actually, I've found that v-vocal is pretty good if treated with the right care. Just slapping down an "auto" on it (or any others that I've heard unless used extremely conservatively) does no justice.

I have a friend who just had to do some correction on a tune because of a mixprint in the "written" version of the melody line. One note in every chorus had to moved down a minor 3rd - that's a pretty good bit of correction! When using the "move the line for the pitch in question" method of v-vocal, combined with changing the formant (which defaults to what winds up sounding poor in a lot of cases) made the new melody sound SO natural that you simply COULD NOT hear that it was changed.

I think it's a great tool - I've just found so far that the save button needs to be your friend when using it, as I've had a few crashes of Sonar while using it - only when trying to stack several v-clips that were created from copies of the same original audio, intending to build up a few backup vocal tracks - not even something I need, but something I wanted to see it do - and something that, even if not natural, could almost create a strange vocoder-like choir.

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    danhazer
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 14:58:02 (permalink)
    V-Vocal works well. If you need to go up or down by a half step or more, then you need to use the formant tool to get it to sound natural. Also, the line tool should be used if you need to create a larger skip between two notes. It has obvious limitations, I.E., you cannot shift by a fifth and expect it to sound great. But other than a few quirks here and there, I find it to be a very effective tool.

I don't know if any of you saw the other thread where I give a link to one of my songs and asked if people could hear where the V-Vocal was used. Nobody got it right. But of course there were those who would swear up and down that they heard it, but they never named the right places in the song. I got a good chuckle out of that one especially since at first I explicitly tell people where it's being used...

Thanks,
    Dan
    post edited by danhazer - 2006/02/07 15:12:34

Dan Monaghan
    Paul G
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 15:06:46 (permalink)

Paul, you may be spoiled by Melodyne, too. I may try it sometime, if I can get past the whole non-integrated aspect of it. Rewire may help... it would be hard for me to go back to flying wavs out and in like I used to do with Audition for vocal takes.

There is a bit of an art to V-Vocal. I find that I don't use it the same as others who posted... my technique is a blend of the V-Vocal video, others' recommendations, and my own findings from muddling around.

You could be right, Carlos. V-Vocal is on my list of things to check out.. Boy! is that list long! Sometimes it's just easier to use what I know. Uno was very easy to learn.

Paul
    post edited by Paul G - 2006/02/07 15:16:42

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    losguy
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 15:49:38 (permalink)
    You could be right, Carlos. V-Vocal is on my list of things to check out.. Boy! is that list long! Sometimes it's just easier to use what I know. Uno was very easy to learn.

I am ALWAYS right, Paul, don't you know that by now?

I can empathize completely with you on the "list of things" thing. When you get down to checking V-Vocal, go to these threads:

V-Vocal Thread 1 Peter J's thread with some good tips on use. Look for my post there too (page 2).

V-Vocal Thread 2

The Cakewalk V-Vocal features page Be sure to watch the walkthrough video.

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 16:30:02 (permalink)
    As for the tuning, the quality of tuning is not even close to the quality of AutoTune. Once you use AutoTune, you would never go back to V-Vocal. V-vocal has better interface for stretching, but as I said it doesn't really function in 5.0.1 version... Tuning interface is much better in AutoTune.
    I disagree with this 180 degrees. Once I got the hang of V-Vocal, I haven't used AT a single time. For me, AT is something to drop into the FX bin on scratch tracks. When I go to work, V-Vocal is where I go.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Paul G
    RE: V-Vocal vocal tuning? 2006/02/07 18:09:26 (permalink)

I am ALWAYS right, Paul, don't you know that by now?

I can empathize completely with you on the "list of things" thing. When you get down to checking V-Vocal, go to these threads:

V-Vocal Thread 1 Peter J's thread with some good tips on use. Look for my post there too (page 2).

V-Vocal Thread 2

The Cakewalk V-Vocal features page Be sure to watch the walkthrough video.

Carlos:

I bow to your expertise.LOL

Thanks for the links. I've been following the V-Vocal discussions off and on but I'll save these links for when I get serious about it.

Paul

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1