sfz note numbers / names

Author
markheath
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 408
2006/02/01 14:08:41 (permalink)

sfz note numbers / names

I have been putting together a piano sfz file recently. Playing the lowest C on my piano and recording it as MIDI in SONAR shows up as note name C2 in SONAR piano roll or event list. If I ask the piano roll to show note names (0...127) this shows up as MIDI note 24.

I then made an sfz file with an used note names instead of note numbers for the opcodes.

<region> sample=P1D V21 C2.ogg  key=C2  lokey=B1  hikey=Db2 pan=-12

According to the sfz documentation the lokey and hikey can be expressed as 0...127 or C-1...G9
Thus C-1 = 0; C0 = 12; and C1=24, which means that my sfz file plays one octave out.

So why is SONAR using a different note naming scheme to sfz? And which one is right?

4 Replies Related Threads

Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: sfz note numbers / names 2006/02/01 20:43:54 (permalink)
    You might want to check out this post here for some further observations, solutions and explanations…

Basically, the sfz format uses the International Pitch Notation (IPN) convention which may or may not equate with the MIDI names that your host paints on the piano roll. Use something like this to compensate:

<control>
    octave_offset=1

That will shift everything proceeding pitch definition in your sfz file up an ocatve. You'll have to work out the right offset for the particular host your're using so that, say, key=C4 in sfz works when you hit C4 in your host. Don't forget you can use positive and negative values to achieve that.

It's all just semantics in the end — as long as it sounds right it is right! But, I agree that while your programming your patch it's nice to have a correlation on screen.
    markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: sfz note numbers / names 2006/02/02 02:59:19 (permalink)
    thanks for the link Paradroid.

My Yamaha P200 itself has an arrow pointing to middle C marking it as C3, making the lowest C on the piano C0, working with Sonar, sfz and the P200 I had three different note naming schemes! Next time I'll stick to note numbers I think. I always confuse myself anyway with note names as the wrap around to the next octave happens at C rather than A.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: sfz note numbers / names 2006/02/02 04:08:36 (permalink)
    I always confuse myself anyway with note names as the wrap around to the next octave happens at C rather than A.

Heh, heh. One of the many conundrums that face the music teacher everyday… That and how to avoid sounding crude when you explain what the letter name of the 3rd string is to a group of 13 yo student guitarists!
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: sfz note numbers / names 2006/02/06 11:50:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: markheath
    So why is SONAR using a different note naming scheme to sfz? And which one is right?

Mark and Dale...

B Rock and I went round and round about this when I posted a frequency chart that I had made some years ago. Heh...I didn't know that these things existed all over the web, I thought I was being helpful. Anyway...

HERE is the thread and links to where you can download my chart. It's not a huge deal, like I said these things are all over the web. We were looking for a "Cakewalk" version of the chart. What we came up with was octave conversions occur from C to C, and that MIDI Note#00=C0 (8.18hz)

I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, but over on the P5 forum we discussed this at length and I was in the middle of it. Just thought I'd toss it out if it is of any help.

WC
    post edited by wgcabp - 2006/02/06 11:55:46
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1