Take Muting-support call-feature request

Author
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
2006/02/02 14:00:54 (permalink)

Take Muting-support call-feature request

Hey all,

Edit: post #10 below shows result of support call conversation - topic title changed for appropriateness

Question about loop recording/punch in/take muting.

I would like to record loops of backup vocals, where I loop over, listen to previous takes as I record the new takes - this way, completely make stacks of single parts of vocals for EQ and processing of the same group of lanes.

I've followed the help file instructions

1. Create Audio track with Input to my source and output to Master Bus (to my headphones)
2. Set loop region and turn on looping
3. Record enable
4. Show lanes and make sure that "store takes in same track" is selected
5. Set record options to NOT mute previous takes
6. Select Sound on Sound mode
7. Start recording

As the loop begins again, I see nothing of the original first take nor do I hear it as I lay down subsequent takes. So let's say I let it loop 3 times and then stop. I recorded three lanes successfully, but they are not really tight because while recording, I can't hear previous takes on the track.

If I continue recording in loop mode again on the track, I can hear takes 1-3 just fine, but only the "current" take aside from that - so as I record takes 4, 5, and 6, I can hear [1 2 3] 4, [1 2 3] 5, [1 2 3] 6

I really just want the opposite of what others seem to want the most. I DON'T want previous takes to be muted and I think I've selected all the right options for that to be the case.

From the manual:
Sound on Sound (Blend)--Choose this option to add sound to any pre-existing sound in the track.

and

Store Takes in a Single Track--Choosing this option causes SONAR to merge every new take with the previous takes, unless you choose Overwrite mode, which mutes each take except the newest one.

and

When you stack takes, using the Sound on Sound record mode, you hear all the previous takes as you record each new take. When you store takes in different tracks, each take is automatically muted as you record the next one.

This is Sonar 5.0.1. I know I must just be missing something stupid, but I can't find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
post edited by Blades - 2006/02/06 20:28:34

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web

13 Replies Related Threads

Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/02 15:15:25 (permalink)
    I've now also tried with and without auto-punch. I've tried every option that I can think of and can't get it to work. The only way it workjs as I would be expecting to is when I just hit stop - rewind - record in sound on sound mode - THEN I can hear previous takes...just not in loop mode, which ironically I thought was required to have the "mute/don't mute previous" option at all.

Still poking...

Blades
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/02 17:16:22 (permalink)
    As far as I know, while recording in loop mode Sonar does not play back prior loops until recording is stopped.

Best,

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/02 17:25:41 (permalink)
    Hi Blades-
    The only way it workjs as I would be expecting to is when I just hit stop - rewind - record in sound on sound mode - THEN I can hear previous takes...

That's the only way I've seen this work too. I think it's a bug. Sound-on-Sound should do what you want (and what it says it does) in loop recording mode, IMO. I've always found this confusing, but fortunately for me I almost never record that way so I haven't worried about it much.

If it's not a bug, I wish someone would explain why it isn't!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/02 17:28:39 (permalink)
    Right. Not a real deal-killer or anything (especially since I'm now using a tranzport - no walking over to the keyboard)...

I can accomplish exactly what I want as long as I'm NOT in loop mode. Record, stop, rewind, record, etc...then I just have to "rebuild layers" and all is well.

Still would like to see it actually work...Brendan? Anyone from Cakewalk? Can someone at least identify that it is supposed to work this way?

Thanks again.

Blades
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/03 12:12:02 (permalink)
    This is from the readme file:

"Mute Previous Auto Punch Takes

In version 4.0.3 and later, SONAR will mute all existing clips in the Auto Punch time range of armed track(s) when recording audio or MIDI in Auto Punch & Sound-on-Sound (Blend) mode.

If you would prefer that SONAR never mutes previous takes, you can change the default behavior by toggling the “Mute Previous Takes” option in Transport-Record Options."

I haven't tried it myself. Does that do what you want?
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/03 21:42:40 (permalink)
    Yeah...There is an option in 5.0 that says "mute previous takes" that is in the "punch recording" section of the record options dialog. It doesn't seem to make any difference which way I have this set - until AFTER I stop the transport, then it will mute the group of prvious takes for the next pass if that checkbox is marked. But it won't do anything with the mute/not mute while it is actively looping and recording seperate takes.

Blades
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/04 16:23:36 (permalink)
    Bump

Any more thoughts?

Blades
    Dave Horch
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/04 18:55:37 (permalink)
    Blades - GREAT IDEA for backup vox tracking!!! Bummer it doesn't work as documented though. Bug. Call caketech and report, please... Then don't forget to report back here!! Thanks, -Dave
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/06 09:41:41 (permalink)
    hmmm...nothin....bummer. I'll try to call later and see if there is an answer, if for nothing but my own curiosity.

Blades
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/06 16:29:35 (permalink)
    Well...support basically said he believed he'd heard a few others making the suggestion that it should work this way. First he said to go ahead a make it a feature request (which I originally didn't do because I thought it already was a feature and I was just missing something), and then he said that he thinks people think it's supposed to work the way I'd like it to (able to have previous takes play whilst looping) because of poor wording on the manual's part and not a missing feature in the program.

Anyway - off to the feature request I go. If any one else thinks this would be a cool thing, please also request it.

Blades
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/07 14:26:33 (permalink)
    One more time to get any more takers or opinions. bump...

Blades
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/07 14:48:32 (permalink)
    This makes sense to me actually after futzing with it myself.

Lanes inside of a track are for COMPING. And while they can all play back at once if needed, really it should be looked at as being able to make a super-track. So, if you're loop recording within a track as lanes, it should NOT play back the previously laid down loop.

Tracks are for discreet parts. So, a multi-voice chorus part would have a track for each voice. Loop recording on a TRACK (where it makes a new track for each take around) should allow you the option of hearing or not hearing the previous, which I believe it does.

Lately a lot of folk (myself included) have been asking for features in track lanes as if they were tracks, which I think that really they're not. The solo/mute switches are a godsend but also a bit confusing because now we all want track features in our lanes.

I hear you though on building layered parts, I want to be able to quickly loop record harmonies while the mood is hot and all that. I need all the help I can get!

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Blades
    RE: Loop recording / Take muting question 2006/02/07 22:10:13 (permalink)
    Hey wicked - maybe it does seem a bit of a twist of the intended use of the lanes, but most other things work within them already, and since there IS a switch to turn the muting of previous takes on and off, one would expect it, if for no other reason, to work "accidentally" for looped takes - at least that's how it struck me. I can use clip envelopes to control panning and volume and whatnot and can apply the same EQ to a stack of the same part and then subsequently EQ/compress the conglomeration of a number of muti-lane parts, etc...Makes it neat and clean to look at as well, and makes it really easy to strip away a few layers of a part or several parts.

Your opinion on the matter is appreciated, however

Blades
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1