M-audio converters

Author
Buckethead
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
2006/02/03 01:16:37 (permalink)

M-audio converters

Hey does anybody have an M-audio Delta 10/10. I was thinking about getting one, but was told the converters were horrible. If anbody has any experience with these interfaces could they please shed a little light... can digidesign be trusted anymore... the mbox's are junk... is it true that they make other products of a much lower quality now just to make you buy the big rigs...???

13 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/03 02:07:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Buckethead

Hey does anybody have an M-audio Delta 10/10. I was thinking about getting one, but was told the converters were horrible. If anbody has any experience with these interfaces could they please shed a little light... can digidesign be trusted anymore... the mbox's are junk... is it true that they make other products of a much lower quality now just to make you buy the big rigs...???

I don't think the Delta converters are horrible at all. However if converter quality is what you are after Lynx is as good as it gets in a sound card.
    Autist
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/05 08:00:44 (permalink)
    E-MU m series (1212m, 1616m, 1820m). Some people say bad things about them, but most likely those people have never tried them because I haven't seen where anyone who has tried them had ANYTHING bad to say about the sound.
    Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/05 17:50:43 (permalink)

M-Audio Delta 1010

DSP Via Envy24

A/D Converters: AKM AK5383, 110dB 96kHz 24-Bit Enhanced Dual Bit ADC
    Enhanced Dual Bit ADC
    Sampling Rate: 1kHz to 108kHz
    Full Differential Inputs
    Input Impedance: 10k(omega) minimum.
    S/(N+D): 103dB
    DR: 110dB
    S/N: 110dB
    High Performance Linear Phase Digital Anti-Alias filter
    - • Passband: 0 to 21.768kHz (@fs=48kHz)
    - • Ripple: 0.001dB
    - • Stopband: 110dB
    Digital HPF & Offset Calibration for Offset Cancel

D/A Converters: AKM AK4393, 120dB 96kHz 24-Bit Advanced Multi-Bit DAC
    High Performance Stereo DAC
    128x Oversampling
    Sampling Rate from 30kHz to 108kHz
    24-bit 8 times Digital Filter Ripple: ±s 0.005dB, Attenuation: 75dB
    High Tolerance to Clock Jitter
    Low Distortion Differential Output
    Digital de-emphasis for 32, 44.1, 48kHz Sampling
    Soft Mute
    I/F Format: MSB justified, LSB justified, I2S
    THD + N: -100dB
    Dynamic Range: 120dB
    Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.001% (A-D), <0.0015% (D-A).
    Frequency Response: 22Hz to 22kHz, +0.3/-0.2dB.
    Supported Bit Depths: 8, 16, and 24.
    Internal Mixing Path: 36-bit.

Junski

mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/06 15:17:53 (permalink)
    I definitely wouldn't say horrible. They're not the best on the market, but they're a huge step up from the cards that come pre-packaged in most computers. The 10/10, is a very old card (in sound card years), but the price has come down to reflect that. The positive side is that means the card is tried and true, and you don't have to be a guinnie(sp?) pig.
    deiseldave
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/06 15:47:48 (permalink)
    I was thinking about getting one, but was told the converters were horrible.

Probably by some gear peddler.
    I refuse to believe that anyone (including so called "golden ears") would be able to pick out a Delta 1010 in a properly run shootout with converters costing ten times as much (or a hundred for that matter). Any failings the Delta might have are so far below normal signal levels that for all practical purposes, they just don't exist.
    Most of the folks that would lead you to believe differently are either trying to sell you something, or justifying the fact that they fell for the "esoteric converter" crap themselves... The only real reason to upgrade from a Delta 1010 is if you own a high profile studio that requires all gear names must "impress the client".
    You won't hear any real shootouts because the major players in ADC/DAC don't want you to know the truth. That truth is: $300 to $500 will buy you reproduction better than your ears can hear.
    The specs that were cited above basically tell the story. Virtually non existent are: noise, distortion, crosstalk, and jitter. While the unit faithfully reproduces 22Hz to 22Khz with less than .3db deviation. I think I'll eq out .3db deviation, and pocket the thousands of dollars to be wasted on the esoteric converters.
    uncle meat
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/06 17:18:06 (permalink)
    well said.
    John.Reeve
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 00:38:18 (permalink)
    Right now, I am waiting for my second 1010 to arrive in the mail.

I am little miffed at my vendor becasue although they noted it as "in-stock," they had to have it sent directly from m-audio. Or, rather, it will be shipped as soon as they have more pci cards (so says the sales guy, and who knows about them ;) ).

And the reason I bought the second: my first is getting unrelible.

Last summer, the output channels all died. But they repaired it and I only had to pay for shipping it there; it was an older model and I think it had some bad caps in the supply.

Two weeks ago, three of the channels died in the middle of a session, and although they have since started working again, they stop working intermittently. So they've given me an RMA, and now I'm waiting for my second unit to arrive so I can send the first back to be fixed.

I will say that I really like the card and think that between the two devices I can get 16- channels of good sounding ADDA; I don't have a great sounding room, and I think that in my situation these converters are far from the weakest link in my signal chain. And I think the issue is related to capacitors in a particular early production of the box, so I'm not worried about the new unit.
    post edited by John.Reeve - 2006/02/07 00:42:17
    Buckethead
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 00:51:13 (permalink)
    do they work well with sonar? or do you have to buy pro-tools?
    John.Reeve
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 01:14:38 (permalink)

do they work well with sonar? or do you have to buy pro-tools?

I have, in the past, used them with SF/Sony Vegas and Fruityloops/studio; recently I have been trying to move my workflow to sonar, but S is missing some editing functionality.

But the drivers are really good and I have never had any problems.
    Buckethead
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 01:30:27 (permalink)
    thanks for everyone that replied in this thread
    urock
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 10:11:26 (permalink)
    I owned a Delta 1010 for 5 years before I downsized my studio. It's a very good and reliable card. Frankly, I think its still the best card M-Audio makes. (If you look at the specs list on M-Audio's website for their various products, I believe it still has the highest combination A/D and D/A specs of any of their units).

I've tried out more modern sound cards recently as I've retooled my studio - the Emu 1212m, Emu 1820m, Lexicon Omega, Presonus Firebox, and Line6 Toneport UX2. The only ones to my ears that sounded better from a converter point of view was the Emus ( of course, the Emu drivers drove me crazy).

Best,

urock
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 10:22:23 (permalink)
    Buying anything that affects sound without personally listening to it first is a recipe for disaster.

Do you have any relationships with Dealers or the like where you could possibly rent or test run a Delta for a week?

John.Reeve
    RE: M-audio converters 2006/02/07 14:37:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nate

Buying anything that affects sound without personally listening to it first is a recipe for disaster.

Do you have any relationships with Dealers or the like where you could possibly rent or test run a Delta for a week?

You make a good point, but I don't always think it is so bad to select equipment without using it first, and certainly not something that will necessarily lead to disaster.

For instance, I don't have any real music dealers where I lived, so when I bought a new crash cymbal, I just looked aropund at what other people liked and bought a zil. A custom: it is basically a cymbal that everyone likes and agree sounds like a crash cymbal. I gig with it about once a week, and I'm not too picky; basically, it sounds pretty good, I got a good deal for it online. But I would be happy as long as I got something that basically soundeds like a crash cymbal; I need the functionality, not the quality, so I simply chose something that other professional types agreed was nice and stopped worrying.

I also bought my deltas this way: they are simply good equipment that no one complains about (though there are some very nice things that you could complain about them ;) )

Frankly I think that, looking at the target user group for the 1010, they are probably not going to be the weak link in the system. Like most good equipment at that range, the functionality is the main selling point with quality being a secondary consideration.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1