Looking for some comfortable quality headphones...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ketch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/06 22:01:03 (permalink)
AKG K-240's 55 ohm's use them for home studio and listening. They do let in the outside world so my wife likes them :_) for getting my attention

Very ergonomic and they fit over my ears. I tried a couple of sony closed models and they press the tops of my ears causing discomfort after just 15 mins. I've owed these for about 5 years and they held up well.

Give clarity and detail enough for what I need. Being 55 ohm apparently increases sensitivity in a quiet environment but outside noises can interfere. plus like somebody else said they can be too open for sensitive recording.
blueelectron9
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/06 22:11:44 (permalink)
I love my Sennheiser HD650s. They are an open design and will bleed into microphones, but gosh to they sound wonderful. I'm particularly fussy about my high frequencies and these are smooth as silk.

The 650s have a removable cable, which is replaceable. Admittedly, I take care with my 'phones and don't bang them around, but they seem very solidly built and should last me a long, long time.

Note that these phones are 300 ohms. You will most likely need an amplifier to drive them. I built my own, since I know electronics; you can try http://www.headphone.com for amplifiers if you don't want to build one.

I can't listen through my $40 Sony's for much of anything anymore. I highly recommend the 650s. I think you can probably find a pair for round $350-$400.

Best,
Scotty
Elvenking
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/07 12:13:47 (permalink)
Yeah... I have these....as for comfort...maybe for a little while. But they are an okay reference for late night mixing.

ORIGINAL: losguy

Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs

Elvenking
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1144
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/07 12:18:22 (permalink)
The BeyerDynamic DT770's are a very sweet sounding headphone...and they are great for tracking. The problem I had with these, and the reason I took them back, was that they made my mix sound too nice. I would get a great sound through these things, but it wouldn't translate too well.

However, if you weren't going to use them to mix....I would say they are super...super comforatable...and some of the sweetest sounding phones.

ORIGINAL: bubbadoody

Headphones are like monitors...out of control if you don't pay attention! The standards are AKG K240's are midline the BeyerDynamics DT770 are Pro quality and cost it; while Sennheisers have great sound but crapy durabilty!(read many posts o this forum re: the cables) Fostex T20's are pretty durable for hired out phones,if you're doing that kind of work.

Bungee
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/07 13:48:15 (permalink)
If price isn't a concern and you are looking for phones with isolation I can guarantee you will not find a better set than the "UltraPhones" from GK Music. These are a drummers best friend as they are light, comfortable and have the best sound quality you can ask for. They use the Sony 7506 drivers which give amazing clarity and at 29db of isolation you are golden. You can find them at www.gk-music.com These are owned by all the top players in the industry. Good Luck.
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/07 14:05:11 (permalink)
Are you just using them for listening and tracking or do you need to mix with them ? I'm a big fan of the Audio Technica ATH-M40fs for mixing when you have to use phones and they also work for tracking because they are closed. They are not perfect on the comfort side but I think they are better then the Sonys. I also have a Sennheiser HD595 and I'm starting to use them more for mixing now but they are VERY open so you can't use them when tracking near a mic. They are nearly as loud on the outside as they are on the inside LOL ! They are very comfy, don't even touch your ears at all. For just listening and tracking AKGs are cool, the BeyerDynamic DT770's are very comfy also and have killer bass and highs but are too detailed in the high end for me, yeah it's nice to be able to hear all that "dog music" up there but it's just not natural, no other stereo speakers I know can reproduce any of that. Anyway that's my 2 cents.
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/07 14:20:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ohhey
"dog music" ... my 2 cents.

That was worth at least 2 cents!

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: Looking for some comfortable quality headphones... 2006/02/07 15:00:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

ORIGINAL: ohhey
"dog music" ... my 2 cents.

That was worth at least 2 cents!

I'm serious man the high end on the DT770s go off into supersonic, much higher then I can hear and it's even loud up there. If you need to evaluate cymbal samples or work on hiss reduction you can't beat them. Just let the dog out first
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1