Two questions -1st working with Pro tools -Second -Reinstalling after a reformat

Author
Christian3D
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2006/02/06 10:10:45 (permalink)

Two questions -1st working with Pro tools -Second -Reinstalling after a reformat

I am starting to work with a drummer on a project, I am using Sonar 5 Producer Edition, he uses the latest version of Pro tools, can anyone offer suggestions or know how to transfer files back and forth between Pro-tools and Sonar. Is it even possible?

Preface:
- We will probably be using a combination of both Audio and midi,
- We will be separating each of the drum instruments on their own tracks
- Even though we will be recording the drum tracks (in Pro Tools) first, I will need to be able to send both audio and midi tracks back and forth so that he can make edits to the drums and then be able to send the files back to me. Make sense????????

Second Question:
I am about ready to reformat my Windows XP pro machine and I was wonder do I have to install all my past versions of Sonar to get their features? In other words Sonar 3 had certain VST instruments that I think might not be included in Sonar 5. I don’t want to loose anything that I have installed now and I am not sure if Sonar 5 includes everything from Sonar 3 and Sonar 4.

After I complete my reformat and I start to install my programs again, should I install the full older version of Sonar or can I just install instruments/plug-ins or is that dangerous to attempt? Or better yet do I even need to do this because everything from past version might be included in Sonar 5??????????????

Information and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian

3 Replies Related Threads

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Two questions -1st working with Pro tools -Second -Reinstalling after a reformat 2006/02/06 10:33:35 (permalink)
    I am starting to work with a drummer on a project, I am using Sonar 5 Producer Edition, he uses the latest version of Pro tools, can anyone offer suggestions or know how to transfer files back and forth between Pro-tools and Sonar. Is it even possible?

Yes it is possible! I would do a search n this forum, as this question comes up about once a week!

After I complete my reformat and I start to install my programs again, should I install the full older version of Sonar or can I just install instruments/plug-ins or is that dangerous to attempt? Or better yet do I even need to do this because everything from past version might be included in Sonar 5??????????????

You can go through and select whatever plugs etc you want from older versions just be sure that "program files" is not selected if you want only the plugs. NO not all plugs from previous versions are included in Sonar 5.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Two questions -1st working with Pro tools -Second -Reinstalling after a reformat 2006/02/06 10:44:55 (permalink)
    Yes you can .. see: Exchanging files between Sonar and ProTools

Please note i've modified my flow slightly since i discovered the
    "Import Broadcast Waves at their Timestamp" option in Global->Options->Audio.

As long as you consolidate regions and don't have a varying tempo map, you can just
    import the .wav files right out of the audio folder.

jeff
    post edited by jmarkham - 2006/02/06 15:37:42
    Christian3D
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Two questions -1st working with Pro tools -Second -Reinstalling after a reformat 2006/02/07 20:41:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.
    Wow that is a lot more work than I thought it would be.... it would be nice if both programs had an export bundel option that could easily be opened in the other app. Something as simple as import and export. Again thanks for the detailed instructions with the screenshots...

Back to my other question, Can you think of anythin other than plugins and ssoft synths that are included in Sonar 3 and 4 that I might want to port over, or anything that I might miss by not first installing these versions prior to installing 5?

Thanks, Christian
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1