Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome!

Author
mgarrett010461
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 248
2006/02/09 10:14:48 (permalink)

Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome!

Rene, just wanted to tell you that the hammond samples, especially Jazz 3 (mw=rot)
are awsome..... Epsecially when played live. Even through my bass amp, they
have a singing quality which I cannot yet get out of ni b4II.

(PLUS Dim Pro does not CRASH regularly.. unlike you know what (NIB4II).....)

Thanks!!

post edited by mgarrett010461 - 2006/02/09 13:24:47

5 Replies Related Threads

mlc
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome! 2006/02/09 12:15:59 (permalink)
    Speaking of the Hammond sounds, Yes, I agree, they sound nice.

By any chance do you know how to set the sustain pedal to activate a Leslie type modulation instead of sustaining the notes? That is the way is set up in NI's B4 and OrganizedTrio...

Sonar X3 64 bit - Windows 7 64-bit
    RME Fireface UC
    i7 2600K 3.4 GHz 16 GB RAM
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome! 2006/02/09 13:15:05 (permalink)
    how to set the sustain pedal to activate a Leslie type modulation instead of sustaining the notes
    If you don't mind me jumping in (Mike or Mike), this is one way to do it in the program that Mike1 was talking about [Hammond Jazz 3].

Open up the MIDI Matrix, and change those two CC#1 (Mod Wheel) sources to CC#64 (Sust). There's no smoothing parameter available for these destinations, so using a sustain switch will cause the settings to jump to extremes (on & off). IOW, there'll be none of the "in-between" values that a continuous controller like the Mod Wheel would give you. HTH
    mlc
    RE: Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome! 2006/02/09 14:09:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

how to set the sustain pedal to activate a Leslie type modulation instead of sustaining the notes
    If you don't mind me jumping in (Mike or Mike), this is one way to do it in the program that Mike1 was talking about [Hammond Jazz 3].

I was hoping you would! I guess I should have figure that one out. But will that disengage the sustain function? or are you gonna have both modulation and sustain at the same time?

I know the sustain pedal only gives you 0 or 127, however, with some of the B3 emulators you can set a minimum and maximum modulation speed or rate, and then you can set the acceleration as well, so when you step on the sustain pedal initially the speed is low and the longer you keep it down, the faster it gets. Obviously, the acceleration will determine the time it takes to get from slow to fast. I know that I'm talking about dedicated B3 emulators, but can this be done in DMPro?

RME Fireface UC
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome! 2006/02/09 15:56:01 (permalink)
    you can set a minimum and maximum modulation speed or rate, and then you can set the acceleration as well, so when you step on the sustain pedal initially the speed is low and the longer you keep it down, the faster it gets.
    The key to something like that is in using DimPro's Smoothing function. Unfortunately, the FX parameters don't include that option, and you'll notice that the Jazz 3 patch uses a chorus effect to simulate a "leslie" sound. The chorus is really always on, but at a slow speed, and the MIDI Matrix is set to change both the speed and the FX input level at the same time.

So, one quick workaround. Go to the main filter in DP, and find the BR 2p filter. Drop the Cutoff knob to about halfway. Click on the "C" button over the envelopes, and go to the LFO section. Status: On & Depth to 1200.

OK, that was prep. Now onto the MIDI Matrix. You can leave the two parameters that are in there if you want, but for now, double-click on the Source in each to temporarily disable those two slots. In a third slot, enter the following values:

Source: CC 64 (Sust) Destination: Cutoff LFO Freq 1 Depth: 5.5 Smooth: 20.0

Now you have your sustain pedal triggering a speed increase from 1.0 Hz. (as default in the "C" LFO) to 5.5 Hz. The amount of time that it takes to go from slow to fast, and back again, is determined by the value set in the Smooth parameter. Adjust that to change the Leslie 'rotor inertia'. The Band Reject filter and the LFO controlling it sets up the simulated phasing-type effect. One quick added MIDI Matrix line, a couple of quick Enables, and you have want you're after.

BTW: Many synths & hosts 'intercept' MIDI messages when they're used as for remote control, disabling the original function. Not so for sustain in Dimension; both are active. The originally intended sustain function can be toggled on and off in the Multisample configuration window. Look for Sust/Sust, and toggle the first of two settings there. HTH
    mlc
    RE: Dim Pro Hammond Samples Awsome! 2006/02/09 17:21:56 (permalink)
    Man! I'm truly impressed! I read your thread on sound synthesis and now this!!! So much valuable information!
    Do you have a degree in sound synthesis or something like that? How do you know all these tricks? I feel so incredibly ignorant! but that's good, that makes me try harder.

I only have 2 days (well more like 2 nights) using Dimension Pro with the manual open and I could not get this kind of information. You should write a book for Dimension Pro, like Scott Garrigus did with his Power series. I'm serious! I'll buy it for sure!

Thanks again! you are a valuable resource to this forum!

Mike

RME Fireface UC
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1