mastering moron

Author
wickerman
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1039
2006/02/10 21:49:04 (permalink)

mastering moron

ok, i'm moving along recording and getting close to having a completed product - i'm liking my mixes and know that i will be tweaking them. once i'm finished mixing and am happy with what i've got - i should have them mastered...right? ok, i'm a bit lost when it comes to this, 1) i can't afford to send it off for mastering 2) what does mastering do exactly?

my understanding is , the levels are brought up as high as possible without overs and some eq is added to the whole product where needed (?) to add some sparkle or whatnot

example: i have a few songs now - that to me (keyword: me) sound great - the levels are nice without many overs, i know i could run back through and apply a little bit of compression to take those out, but they are so few that i think it would not help, but hurt the whole feel of the project (song)

i guess i'm having a hard time visualizing (metaphorically speaking) what a mastered song would sound like - can anyone point me to an example of a mastered song versus the un-mastered version of the same song? or splain to me what the process does exactly?

this may be better suited for the techniques forum - but i've read those posts and still am a bit in the fog.

thanks

2 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: mastering moron 2006/02/11 02:16:57 (permalink)
    mastering is a subjective issue, I master in that same program i mix in, I usually get a good mix, then i add a master limiter and a final compression to the main buss and export to a wave file, if i like the sound, then demo it on several systems, and if i feel it needs some more work i go back and re work it. Some take it to another software.

These are taste and personal decisions. and really, take time to get a grasp on.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: mastering moron 2006/02/11 21:24:44 (permalink)
    Mastering is the same type of thing as mixing, its a dedicated process that is determined mainly by the time and effort you are willing to invest (and money, to be honest. Although you can pull it off without spending a lot, it just needs a better ear). It can be as simple as putting a tad of compression on, or as complex as 10-band para EQ, multiband compression, stereo imaging, limiting, etc... I'd recommend checking out Izotope's mastering guide. It's meant for Ozone, but it applies to any mastering. I don't know the link right off hand, but you can find it by digging around izotope.com or doing a search on this forum for "ozone mastering guide" as its been referenced here several times. Hope this helps.

Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1