ITB Bounce vs. Digital Xfer

Author
mark4man
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 700
2006/02/12 11:31:46 (permalink)

ITB Bounce vs. Digital Xfer

Here's a question for all you "in-the-box" wizards...

For a 16-Bit SONAR project, w/ plug-ins applied...will a real-time digital transfer (S/P DIF or ADAT) to an external hard disc recorder be identical to bouncing the project to a .wav file...or will it sound like the parent project?

As everybody here (painfully) knows...my CD project was all tracked & mixed in SONAR2, but I now do all my mixdowns out of SONAR4 (to take advantage of the universal bus routing, trim control on the stereo bus, etc.)

But I really prefer the way the projects sound via real-time playback in SONAR2. They may not even sound "technically" better...but I've worked the v2 mix to where it sounds exactly the way I want...& that's the sound I want, period.

My alternatives then become outputting analog (which is what I'm hearing...the sound of my AI's D/As) to an external HD recorder (Masterlink, etc.) or a digital transfer, also in real-time.

Will S/P DIF or ADAT grab all the extra plug-in DSP ambience from SONAR's internal processing depth, or will the digital signal be truncated? What if I convert the project to 24-Bit before I transfer?

And...will the digital output sound the same as what I'm hearing in typical real-time playback? Im not sure it will, 'cause the AI will be taking the signal prior to the D/A & piping that out via one of the two digital formats, right?

Maybe I should just do a frigin' analog & be done with it...I don't know. This is frustrating as ****. I have a mix I'm satisified with in SONAR2 & no way of getting that sound to redbook. F it all.

mark4man
post edited by mark4man - 2006/02/12 11:56:42

2 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: ITB Bounce vs. Digital Xfer 2006/02/12 16:15:42 (permalink)
    All digital audio interfaces are non error checking (single direction) and also subject to the quality of the clock being used to drive both devices (sound card and recorder). Any time you can mix in the box and avoid going out over a wire it's best. Nothing good can happen out there and many bad things can happen.
    TheFingers
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1669
    RE: ITB Bounce vs. Digital Xfer 2006/02/13 17:51:14 (permalink)
    Nothing good can happen out there and many bad things can happen.

Well spoken.

1973 "A" neck.

I'd rather be playing Bass:
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1