Question on Dimension Pro Automation

Author
newecho
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20
2006/02/19 19:49:21 (permalink)

Question on Dimension Pro Automation

I haveDimension and am considering upgrading to Pro. I use various VST hosts. I want to be able to map a midi contoller to the vector mixer. In Project 5 2, I can see that the vector parameters are exposed as "Vector Mixer X" and "Vector Mixer Y". From a different host app (non-cakewalk :^0) I can see most automatable parameters, but I can't see those two. I'm assuming it might have something to do with the fact that I'm mapping it as DXi. With Dimension Pro running as a VST, are those two parameters exposed?

Mark

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Question on Dimension Pro Automation 2006/02/20 08:53:40 (permalink)
    With Dimension Pro running as a VST, are those two parameters exposed?
    Both versions of Dimension Pro expose those parameters for automation, Mark. Vector Desaccel as well (akin to the Smoothing parameter in the Matrix). In the DXi version, the Vector X and Vector Y are right at the top of the 'widget' list. In the VSTi, you have to burrow down into the list of available parameters. Look just above that cluster of "Reserved" parameters. It'll read slightly differently (depending on what's been already assigned), but they're in the row that starts with Element Pan 04 - Reserved. [by default, with Project5 as host].

In your other hosts, I wonder if you couldn't get the ball rolling by enabing a Write operation, and then just using the Vector Mixer GUI itself to generate some automation curves as a "location device". You might be able to find them easier that way. Hey, there could be a problem with how a host handles the automation parameters, too. All are not created equal. and sometimes certain synths or plugin versions exhibit some quirky behavior.

Like z3ta+. I never use the DXi for automation,; only the VSTi. I even had a little problem with researching this answer using VSTi DimPro and P5 V2. Once, it seems like I had to 'jump start' the Vector axes to get them to write automation. But I've tried everything to reproduce that to no avail, so we'll file that under "possible user-error'. I'll bet that irritating MIDI Override button got me again.

For a good list of available Dimension Pro automatable parameters, check out the P5 Wiki, and [this article here]. There's some 'hidden gems' in there, like the locations to automate your selections in all four areas of the MIDI Matrix.
    HTH
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Question on Dimension Pro Automation 2006/02/20 10:03:25 (permalink)
    Depending on what's that 'third party host', you can find same parameters not exposed. Some hosts only expose a limited number of parameters, and Dimension has a huge number of those.

-René
    newecho
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Question on Dimension Pro Automation 2006/02/20 14:32:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I host from Sonar Producer Edition 4 (and of course Project 5 2), and the other hosts I didn't mention in my first post are Ableton Live 5.0 and FL Studio 6.0. I don't have pro yet, so I can't see Dimension in Live, but I can see it as a DXi in FL. I'm hoping after I upgraded to Dimension Pro, I'll be able to access the vector params from all my hosts.

Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1