lost
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 108
2006/02/20 20:40:39 (permalink)

Midi (Akai-MPC 2000 XL)

hello

today my friend bought the M-Audio Firewire 410
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html

i thought it would have firewire but it didn't and i had to install a card with 3 firewire ports

after messing around with the buffer and fast and safe meter i got it sounding pretty good for using a pair of headphones as a microphone

anyways....

i couldn't setup the Akai MPC25000XL
even after playign around with drivers and playback

the computer had a soundcard previously installed so i had to play back and forth with the settings to hear the speakers coming out the old soundcard

well i guess my question is...

Is there any advice?
post edited by lost - 2006/02/25 19:55:29

8 Replies Related Threads

da berzurkur
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/20 21:58:45 (permalink)
    Well, I guess my question to you would be...what are you trying to accomplish?

Please elaborate a bit and perhaps there will be more advice to come?
    lost
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/21 10:48:18 (permalink)
    Sorry i'm new to this, i never touched an mpc and i never dealt ever with MIDI

we would like to trigger the sounds from inside the Sonar 4 Program in the Midi Tracks to make instrumentals

He also has a keyboard but can't find the power adapter, is this still possible with the mpc?

is this even possible?

i really appreciate your help
    torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/21 10:53:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lost

Sorry i'm new to this, i never touched an mpc and i never dealt ever with MIDI

we would like to trigger the sounds from inside the Sonar 4 Program in the Midi Tracks to make instrumentals

He also has a keyboard but can't find the power adapter, is this still possible with the mpc?

is this even possible?

i really appreciate your help

Is it safe to assume you'll be using it for drums?

In any case, make sure you have midi out from DAW to midi in on your MPC. You will need to have midi out from MPC to midi in on DAW if you plan to use the MPC to 'record' your midi performance.

Create a midi track in Sonar, setting its midi port/midi channel appropriately (both INS and OUTS). You'll then need an audio cable out from MPC into the DAW to record the actual audio.

Hope that gets you started!

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    lost
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/21 11:33:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, bad thing is i can't try it out now because that work station is in another county, but i'm going to do that ASAP..

i didn't know i had to connect midi AND quarter inch plug into the mic in/line in

that's what i took from your explaination and what i will try

what does DAW mean?

the channel settings only gets placed on the Sonar Midi track not on the MPC itself?

thanks for the info.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/21 12:50:48 (permalink)
    I don't have an MPC, Fillup, but I want to help. DAW means digital-audio workstation. It's a computer that has capability to record and playback audio and MIDI, and it usually implies that the computer is dedicated for that purpose. It doesn't have to be, but it's better that way for serious composition with a minimum of hassle.

MIDI is just the digital information part; a bunch of numbers that don't produce sound on their own. But MIDI causes a sound module to act in a prescribed manner. Consider it as a conductor, dictating what the individual players are to perform. The conductor will give out the exact same instructions each time for a particular piece. But the sound that comes from each individual player will differ in interpretation from "instrument" to "instrument", and player to player.

So, MIDI goes in two directions: from the conductor to the player, and back again. Either the computer or the external (even internal) synth can take on either "role". One transmits; the other receives. Sometimes both. To keep everybody straight, MIDI has channels. An Omni setting sends all the MIDI information down all 16 channels. If you're only transmitting on channel 1 (usually a default transmit channel), you want the "player" to hear only what comes in on channel 1 (the receive channel side of things). So, you set up each instrument to it's own channel, and let the "conductor" talk to it over this channel alone.

Many times, MIDI convention puts drums on channel 10. Drums don't have to be there, but they often are. Something to keep in mind. Now, when you have all of this information exchanging hands, you still need a place to hear it. That's where the audio hookup comes in. The MIDI information can get recorded and sent back & forth, but it's still just a bunch of numbers. Translating that into an audio format that you can hear (and the computer can record & playback) is a separate step entirely. But you need both to complete what you're out to accomplish.
    HTH
    lost
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/24 15:40:00 (permalink)
    man i'm going insane! i tried everything possible and what was said in the helping posts, but i can't seem to get this working, what really frustrates me is the fact the workstation is in another county, so i just can't try it out and type back here again.. any other settings you think i may be over looking? i'm a 100% newb to midi ..

TimeCode i tried setting the same
    MMC i tried setting the same
    Ever settings i found i tried to match

I have 2 soundcards, could this be a problem? Should one be disabled in the Bios ?

going insane

take it easy on me, i'm new :(
    lost
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/25 12:53:03 (permalink)
    yesterday i saw some progress, Sonar recognized the MPC but i still couldn't get the MPC to trigger the sounds in the program
    lost
    RE: Midi (Akai-MPC25000XL) 2006/02/25 19:39:48 (permalink)
    here are some pictures i took, maybe there's somethign wrong there:

http://70.87.95.130/~hiphop/mpc/

each link on that page is a picture i took with my digi cam of the setup
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1