problem recording vocals!!!

Author
bender73
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/02/21 20:14:37 (permalink)

problem recording vocals!!!

ok, so i have the headphones on and i am using a studio mic for vocals. i am using guitar tracks pro. i sing a song and through the headphones during playback the vocals sound great. then, i unplug the headphones and listen to the playback through my speakers and i hear flat notes that were not very evident through the headphones!!!

what's going on? i can spot a flat note a mile away but for some reason i have issues with recording my vocals. thoughts? is there a plug-in to check pitch or something?

Ahhhhhhh!!!

http://www.chrisbilodeau.iwarp.com

6 Replies Related Threads

Rev. Jem
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1723
    RE: problem recording vocals!!! 2006/02/21 20:39:21 (permalink)
    Read yep's first post in this thread. HTH
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: problem recording vocals!!! 2006/02/21 20:56:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bender73

ok, so i have the headphones on and i am using a studio mic for vocals. i am using guitar tracks pro. i sing a song and through the headphones during playback the vocals sound great. then, i unplug the headphones and listen to the playback through my speakers and i hear flat notes that were not very evident through the headphones!!!

what's going on? i can spot a flat note a mile away but for some reason i have issues with recording my vocals. thoughts? is there a plug-in to check pitch or something?

Ahhhhhhh!!!

Keep singing till you get the notes right, recording is THE way to learn how to sing. You can't tell what you sound like when you are singing and some headphones make almost anything sound good. There are ways to do pitch correction if you don't think you can get it. Autotune for example can work well if you learn to use it right. It is also widely used as an effect these days to over-correct and give a kind of robot or vocoder sound. The way I've had the best luck with it is to use a wav editor and work with only one word or phrase selected at a time and fine tune the settings. It's no cakewalk be it's not as hard as singing
    jayhill
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: problem recording vocals!!! 2006/02/23 15:25:40 (permalink)
    Are you wearing the headphones completely covering both ears?

If so, slide either the right or left slightly off your one ear. Hearing yourself properly in the phones and in the room may be helpful. Some people can have intonation problems if they can't hear themselves "outside" the headphones as well as "inside" the headphones.

Regards,

J
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: problem recording vocals!!! 2006/02/24 13:11:39 (permalink)
    there are a couple things to consider here:

1. can you hear the mix

if you can't hear the mix your brain may lose track of what key you are in, particularly as your voice will be covering up quite a bit of the range of sounds that we normally pick up key from. you may also lose track of the groove, which will kill any song no matter how pitch-perfect the singing is. it's also hard to put in emotion when you are trying to consciously keep track of the key and groove.

2. can you hear yourself

if you can't hear your voice your brain can't make the tiny adjustments it normally does as it reacts to what comes out. ever heard someone singing while listening to music through headphones? sounds like crap, no matter how good they are. singing with the radio is better (you'll stay on tempo and in key, probably) but turn it up too loud and your voice will do things you don't know about. you've got to hear your own voice to have that "in the shower" feeling.

some people are able to "sing in their head", and this may help out, but i find it's hard to keep the emotion of the song if you've got to think too much about what note to sing. this technique works way better for harmony or choirs, in my opinion.

when i record vocals i usually turn up my headphones pretty loud (not so loud as to be painful but louder than i'd mix at). i find it takes some careful adjustment between vocals and mix to get the right levels. having one ear off the headphones is something i haven't tried but sounds like a good idea.

- jack the ex-cynic
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: problem recording vocals!!! 2006/02/24 17:57:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rev. Jem

Yeah, to quote Rev. Jim quoting me, the most common reason why people with normally good intonation sing off-key on the record is because of excessive bass or excessive volume in the headphone mix.

We're all familliar with the concept of A440 tuning, but it's not really as simple as strict frequencies.

Believe it or not, pitch perception actually changes depending on volume and frequency. If you take two perfectly "in-tune" notes two octaves apart and turn the volume of one or the other or both way up or down, they will sound out of tune. Same thing with taking two slightly out-of-tune notes and changing the volume. Poor man's autotune. Weird but true. Fletcher of Fletcher and Munson proved this with a bunch of experiments that you can try at home. One of the reasons why concert and orchestral recordings sometimes sound out of tune at low-volume playback.

This phenomenon is especially important at low frequencies, since that's what people tend to "lock on to" as the baseline tonality. Human hearing is also significantly less accurate at lower frequencies, and may hear loud bass notes as fully half-a-step flat or more from their actual frequency.

So by all means, keep your headphone mix at a level that you can hear it, but try to keep it at a typical "listening" level, and turn down the low end a little and focus on the midrange instruments. Resist the common beginner's urge to drown yourself in concert-level headphone volume. Make sure you can hear YOURSELF in the headphone mix as well. A little reverb or delay and some compression or even guitar distortion will help you to hear the performance that's actually going to tape instead of just the resonance in your own nasal cavities.

Cheers.
    mixsit
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: problem recording vocals!!! 2006/02/25 20:31:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yep

ORIGINAL: Rev. Jem

Yeah, to quote Rev. Jim quoting me, the most common reason why people with normally good intonation sing off-key on the record is because of excessive bass or excessive volume in the headphone mix.

We're all familliar with the concept of A440 tuning, but it's not really as simple as strict frequencies.

Believe it or not, pitch perception actually changes depending on volume and frequency. If you take two perfectly "in-tune" notes two octaves apart and turn the volume of one or the other or both way up or down, they will sound out of tune. Same thing with taking two slightly out-of-tune notes and changing the volume. Poor man's autotune. Weird but true. Fletcher of Fletcher and Munson proved this with a bunch of experiments that you can try at home. One of the reasons why concert and orchestral recordings sometimes sound out of tune at low-volume playback.

This phenomenon is especially important at low frequencies, since that's what people tend to "lock on to" as the baseline tonality. Human hearing is also significantly less accurate at lower frequencies, and may hear loud bass notes as fully half-a-step flat or more from their actual frequency.

So by all means, keep your headphone mix at a level that you can hear it, but try to keep it at a typical "listening" level, and turn down the low end a little and focus on the midrange instruments. Resist the common beginner's urge to drown yourself in concert-level headphone volume. Make sure you can hear YOURSELF in the headphone mix as well. A little reverb or delay and some compression or even guitar distortion will help you to hear the performance that's actually going to tape instead of just the resonance in your own nasal cavities.

Cheers.

Thanks for that. Very powerful stuff. I knew about the volume-pitch issue but not about picking the tonal center off the low end.

Also remember to try phase flip -the back side of fig-8 (or just a booboo) is a good gotcha' too.
    Wayne
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1