Recording my band

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Recording my band 2006/02/28 12:37:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: discover

Hi Members

I was wondering if someone could point the way to help a newbie. I have Sonar setup and running and need to know where to begin as far as recording my band. I understand the basics of recordng-mixdown-and burn to CD.

It just I'm confused on where to start recording my band. In other words, who do I record first? The drummer? Bass player? The Guitarist?

Assuming the drummer is recorded first, what does he listen to in order to set and maintain the proper tempo throughout the song/track? This confuses me.

Is there a good book or web site out there that explains how to record your band from the start? I don't need advice on all the bells and whistles of recording in Sonar, I have those books. I'm just looking for some guidence on getting started with recording audio with my band so we can burn a finished song to a CD.

In short, I'm confused as to where to begin recording the first track as far as maintaining timing, tempo etc. Once the first track or two is recorded the other tracks seem to just come easier and fall into place.

The song we are going to record is "Statesboro Blues" as recorded by the Allman Brothers on their Fillmore East Album.

Thank you
Discover

your two Mic xlr connectors into channel 1 and 2.

Tap the insert points of those channels... insert the ts or trs only to the first 'click'. this will allow the signal to also proceed through the mixer. Send the other end of those insert-tap chords to the soundcard line inputs.

send your soundcard outs to a stereo channel on the mixer, left and right

If all you want is a live sound, then go to a half decent studio locally and get it tracked specifically for you to mix in Sonar. or pay the guy/girl there to mix it..

We are probably talking from 25 to 40 an hour.

Use this tape to get gigs to fund the home studio upgrades and development etc etc

YOu want those gigs fast...so don't waste time doing it yourself now...get the gigs is the priority then start messing with recording.

If the guy uses SOnar, then great ... you can import them into your system to learn to mix with etc.

What you will find is you are wasting gigging and income and exposure time whilst trying to figure stuff out. Also if you end up spending and still don't get it acceptible there is no promo cd going out to venues.

The best way to gig is get a support slot, or do a meltdown (Sunday showcase) I remember playing Sunday Clwb Ifor Bach (wales) meltdown to try out a couple of songs.

Generate gig interest that way on the circuit, get a press review written, by the meldown organiser or ask him for recommendations of gig leads, what can he do for you etc etc.

If you do a half arsed CD ... then you may not get a gig.

The product you are trying to sell is a gigging bad...what better way than from gigging !
Get press listings and press attendance...hype it a little...write your own reviews, get friendly with the people in the local press, then gigging circuit and other bands to do supports , shared gigs etc.

When all that is ticking you can start recording and learning that side and have a littel cash to throw at it.

In the mean time...do your research (as you have been) so when you get the cash...bang your up and running and not throwing money away.

Not the law, just my thoughts.

As for recording:

I used to be in the booth on the drums fully mic'd and I would have the rest of the band playing in the control room through my headphones. The bass player would play to a click and I would play with the bass player more prominent in the headphone mix...wierd concoction...but I found it difficult to play the track without the emotion of the song...

Three quick songs would probably take a full day to track....depending on your ability to nail it .

In your scenario you may have difficulty isolating instruments in your home Drums with 3 average mics through a mixer to a single audio track , does not make for good modern mixing.

I think the easiest id meltdowns, (Be prepared to use other drum kits there, go scope one or two out and get on the list.)

Over here I believe Chewstick is the equivalent, not sure about the US equivalent.

Yes.
discover
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Recording my band 2006/02/28 12:48:46 (permalink)
Hi

agincourtdb said.........

>Unless you need XLR connectors, stick to TRS. Your mixer channels have TRS line ins as well as XLR mic ins, at the same level. Stick to XLR-XLR for mics and TRS-TRS for everything else. Your mixer should have TRS main outs you can use instead of the XLR, at the same level and quality.

Good point
discover
RE: Recording my band 2006/02/28 12:54:18 (permalink)

In post #1280 Tazman said.....

>You can then go back and record vocals and guitar leads. Make sure you use a reverb on them that allows them to sit in the mix (the other instruments will have room ambiance).

Tazman (or anyone else), can you expand on this please. I'm not up on the studio lingo but learning fast.

Thanks
discover
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: Recording my band 2006/02/28 13:43:24 (permalink)
I f you record in a room , you will be recording the sound as it sounds in the room space.

If you record things Direct In (DI) to the mixer and not through Mic's in the room, then you will not be recording the room space.

SO you will need to give the DIrect recordings some room space so they sit with the other tracks...people use reverb for this.... you play guitar, so you know what reverb is.

Ta Dah

You sound like you have much to learn

Good luck...

(you forgot mastering in your first post)

Probably need some mixing books before you go much further.

Look up mixing on the internet
post edited by bermuda - 2006/02/28 13:58:36

Yes.
discover
RE: Recording my band 2006/02/28 17:34:34 (permalink)
Hi Bermuda

Thanks for the input. I understand what you are advising. I've already recorded a couple of tracks, mixed down and burned to a cd. Its cool !

As far as going into a studio to get it tracked. I can't do it. My kids tuition bill for school just arrived in the mail. The demo cd I'm making is simply for the local bars in the area. None of this is has to be "state of the art" right now. It just has to be an okay recording.

You guys have been very nice in helping me get started. There is a lot of advice here in this thread. I'll just study it all and give it a go.

you said....

>If you record things Direct In (DI) to the mixer and not through Mic's in the room, then you will not be recording the room space.

Will the reverb and delay hide most of the recorded room space if I decide to record using mic's (especially to capture the sound of my celestion speaker in my guitar amp)?

>so they sit with the other tracks

What do you mean by "sit with"? Does "sit with" mean record all the tracks so they have the same room space?

>you play guitar, so you know what reverb is.

oh man....I've been playing since 1973. Yes, I know what reverb is :)

Thanks for helping Bermuda. You gave some good advice. I forgot about the room space thing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

peace bro'
discover
Pitty
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: Recording my band 2006/03/01 07:07:17 (permalink)
In my opinion your major problem here is recording your kit due to the lack of mics so it all depends on how much clarity and definition you want. If you want whoever is listening to your demo to get a good idea of how you sound then you really should get the absolute best sound you can which I know is obvious, but speaking from my early days of recording my own bands the 'overhead miced drumkit sound' can make the mix quite muddy or that is my opinion.

One thing you could possibly try is this. Before the actual drum take, record what I know as hits. This is in effect samples of your kitt. Record each drum/percussive instrument solely on its own and get three or four of each. You have now in effect sampled your own kit and you can use those samples later to boost or even replace the drums that you have recorded with the three mics. But be warned if you try this that you must have a good drummer that can play to a click.

Before anyone says anything I know this is crude and time consuming and in honesty it is not a method I would normally employ but then I have enough microphones and I am only just sugggesting another option.

At the end of the day, even though the recording is for a demo it is in in the bands interest to record it is best as possible. A promotor is going to want to know that what he is getting and a good demos speaks volumes about a bands proffesionalism and ethos.

Lastly, I realise that you are perhaps on a budget so don't want to or can't afford a studio for a full recording. Perhaps though you could record the drums only at a studio and then record the rest yourself. To save time you can make the guide tracks at home as well so your studio time would solely be setting up the kit and mics and then recording. Depending on songs and technical ability you could get this done fairly quickly.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1