OT: February 28

Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2006/02/28 08:40:56 (permalink)

OT: February 28

this year Mardi Gras happens to fall on this date.
Already I've seen considerable news coverage of NOLA Mardi Gras celebration because of the hurricane devastation.
Mardi Gras is the last day of carnival before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent, the 40 days leading up to Easter.

from Wikipedia
"The Germanic origin of the word Lent (e.g. Anglo-Saxon lencten) originally meant the season of spring, referring to the lengthening of days as reflected in a word for March: Lenctenmonat."

all that's significant as we march toward spring.
in Minnesaota February 28 is better known as the day the fish houses have to be removed from the frozen lakes in the lower 2/3 of the state (March 15 in the upper 1/3). People may be partying elsewhere, but here we mark the occasion by taking the fish houses off the lake. In many families, this means that a retreat, a sanctuary from the suffocating presence of each other through the long enclosed winter months is gone and the old man will be back in the house nights and weekends. Sure spring is coming but now we have to face March.
Garrison Keillor described March in Minnesota as a lesson for all those who don't drink what a hangover is like. In so many neighborhoods in Minnesota the snow cover will be melting to reveal the piles of dog poo and empty bottles. Impatience for spring is met with more of the same, hence the phrase bleak mid-winter.
post edited by wrench45us - 2006/02/28 08:47:20

8 Replies Related Threads

grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 09:37:16 (permalink)
    That sounds lovely! - no wonder my wife talks about getting me to move back to the Midwest with her!...

wrench45us
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 09:40:27 (permalink)

well once we get into May
    I tell you there's a day or two that makes it all worthwhile

wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 09:45:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: grandpa mojo

That sounds lovely! - no wonder my wife talks about getting me to move back to the Midwest with her!...

Yeah well, be careful. For a lot of people, Midwest means that ambiguous area between Philadelphia and Chicago. Everything past that is filled with Tonto and Custer. Until you get to LA, of course...which is filled with, uhm, LA-type folks...

WC
    grandpa mojo
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 09:49:53 (permalink)
    LOL...

Hey, I grew up in Wyoming... on an Indian reservation... - Indoor toilets when I was 5, running drinking water when I was 16... - I certainly don't have ANY business poking fun at another part of the U.S.!!!

wrench45us
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 10:12:52 (permalink)

growing up in Pittsburgh we learned that Pittsburgh was the gateway to the West -- hence Gateway Center off the Point downtown ('dahntahn' in Pittsburghese) etc etc
    (St Louis apparently usurped the title once people got that far)
    so by that geographical perspective, the Midwest begins in Ohio
    and the South is anything south of the Mason Dixon Line -- Pennsylvania'a southern border (and we are always allowed to poke fun at West Virginia)

I was amazed when i came to Minnesota to find that the region referred to itself as the northwest (often the Great Northwest) -- which certainly upset anybody from Oregon or Washington state and begged the question northwest of what?
    That seems to have settled down and now we're usually the Upper Midwest or sometimes according to the Weather Channel the eastern edge of the Northern Plains.
    The wife's nephew is in the process of moving and settling in Denver and according to him Colorado definitely considers itself to be in the West.

grandpa mojo
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 10:32:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    The wife's nephew is in the process of moving and settling in Denver and according to him Colorado definitely considers itself to be in the West.

Tell him to look me up if he wants tips on great clubs to go to, etc.

Also... I consider myself from the West for a couple of very obvious reasons - I grew up riding horses and tending cattle (200 head) on our ranch and my niece and nephew are both nationally recognized ropers and riders (team roping and barrel racing).

Now, how that got me to trip-hop is the REAL question...

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 10:47:43 (permalink)
    Yea, I've got some friends from Seattle. They consider only the area west of Mt. Raniner the "Great Northwest." I'm not sure how far south the northwest extends, according to them.

Of course, I'm from Texas so we don't have to worry about any cardinal directions. As Davey Crockett said, "you all can go to hell; I'm going to Texas." Of course, that was the Alamo he was a heading to.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: OT: February 28 2006/02/28 13:12:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: grandpa mojo

ORIGINAL: wrench45us

Tell him to look me up if he wants tips on great clubs to go to, etc.

Also... I consider myself from the West for a couple of very obvious reasons - I grew up riding horses and tending cattle (200 head) on our ranch and my niece and nephew are both nationally recognized ropers and riders (team roping and barrel racing).

Now, how that got me to trip-hop is the REAL question...

Hey man,

Casper College has the best Junior College Jazz program in the country. And the number one college rodeo team. It's not such a jump :)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1