Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions

Author
kstevege
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 490
2006/02/28 15:07:32 (permalink)

Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions

MIDI EDITING IMPROVEMENTS WISH LIST FOR NEXT UPDATE/PATCH

1. PIANO ROLL: Separate the draw line tool and insert midi data tool functions to avoid the annoying hassle of accidently inserting note when you want to drag a note.

2. PIANO ROLL: When you put the arrow cursor over a note block make the corresponding note on the keyboard at the left hand side change to dark gray so you can instantly see what note you're on without any hassle. In Sonar it is really hard to see that info.

3. Make the vertical zoom smooth and continuous so that when you zoom in far enough for the note block to get big enough the note name appears on the note block itself, so you don't have to even move your eyes away to see it. In Sonar the zoom function is stepped and no note names appear.

4. In the controller window keep the CC# values all the way until the end of the song or until the next value change and and color code them (same as the track color) from zero to the value so that anywhere along the song you can look and immediately see what the controller value is. In Sonar if you use the controller pane it puts a single value (ie, a spike) which is valid until the next value change but if you are far enough along in the song to be past where that spike is and can no longer see it, then you don't know what that controller value is unless you go back and look or have a good enough memory to remember what it was.

5. For midi preferences there should be a "follow notes" feature so when you are playing back during editing in Piano Roll View it will pick up playing in the middle of a note block. In Sonar it will not play back until it comes to a new note, so if you have some long held notes it won't play back as long as the cursor is still on that note block.

6. Allow Fast Forward and Rewind buttons to scroll the piano roll underneath it so the Now Time is staionary. Also add a shutlle/jog feature to FF and rewind in one frame steps.

8. Make the first beat of the grid heavier and maker the other beaths easier to see.
post edited by kstevege - 2006/03/01 01:21:12

Steve

24 Replies Related Threads

mezzmerized
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 11:15:31 (permalink)
    I second the motion.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, ASUS A8AE-LE, 2GB, 200GB/7200rpm HDD, Presonus Firebox, Line 6 Guitar Port,v Evolution MK 461C, Sonar 5 PE, Ableton Live 5, Cool Edit Pro 2.0
    joesofia
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 11:19:59 (permalink)
    Yes agreed. The only one that would be difficult is #8 since the notes get heavier as the velocity increases.

Joey
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 12:04:42 (permalink)
    Hi Steve-

Good list! Here are some of mine:

- Fix shortcuts in the PRV!

- There absolutely should be a way to turn velocity display off and leave it off.

- Along the same line, a better way to select which CC controllers to display in the PRV. Once you've added a CC to the drop-down list there's no way to remove it that I can see, and in order to select or de-select them you have to keep dropping-down the list. At the very least there should be a "None" or "All Listed" option. Maybe better would be a dialog similar to what's in the Event List view, where you could check off common CCs and add your own "custom" ones.

- Improved handling of muted clips and/or layers in the PRV. There should be an option to turn off the display of muted notes completely, not just make them gray.

- Ability to detect overlapping notes without moving one to see if there's another under it.

- Option for "marquee"-style selection of notes & clips: As long as the selection rectangle is touching a note or clip it's included in the selection.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    CapnSpanky
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 12:39:46 (permalink)

These are all excellent suggestions! Did anyone mention 'mute individual notes'? (Unless Sonar 5 already does this... I'm still on version 4)

ORIGINAL: Susan G
    - Along the same line, a better way to select which CC controllers to display in the PRV. Once you've added a CC to the drop-down list there's no way to remove it that I can see, and in order to select or de-select them you have to keep dropping-down the list. At the very least there should be a "None" or "All Listed" option. Maybe better would be a dialog similar to what's in the Event List view, where you could check off common CCs and add your own "custom" ones.

Hi Susan,

You're suggestions are really great, but I'm a little confused by the one above. How would this be helpful / beneficial? I'm sure there's an excellent reason. I'm just a little brain dead today. I think I get the last two sentences about filtering out certain CCs. But the "none" or "All Listed" throws me. Thanks!

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    From the Planet Screwball
    Susan G
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:08:58 (permalink)
    Hi Tim-

Very fair question, sorry I wasn't clear! I wasn't at my DAW at the time, but here's an example of the drop-down I'm talking about:

If I add one to the list using "New value type", it's stuck on the list for that project forever (I don't see a way to delete one).

Then let's say I have 3 CCs I want to display. I have to open that list 3 times to check each one, and if it's not there already, I have to add it, and the drop-down list closes after every action. I'd prefer a dialog box where they're all displayed, so I can just check which CC I want to see, or add one.

The "None" or "All Listed" would just be another way to clear the display or include everything I've added to the list, after which I could customize the display more to my liking.

Thanks-

-Susan

post edited by Susan G - 2006/03/23 13:16:12

Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:16:58 (permalink)
    Did anyone mention 'mute individual notes'?

A bit of a workaround, I think, but couldn't you route it through a drum map and have the ability there to do the individual note solo/mute?

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:24:42 (permalink)
    Excellent suggestions.

Here's my additions.

1 Drop the Synth Rack, in favor of a dropdown list of your Softsynths.

2 Allow the Track to be named automatically with a Patch name from your Softsynth.

3 Open Multi output Synths automatically with the associated midi tracks and audio tracks next to each other, in a folder, with a toggle to allow you to switch views between midi, audio or midi/audio tracks.

4 A Groove matrix

CapnSpanky
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:25:41 (permalink)
    Hey Susan!

I get it now and it makes sense. I'm sure you were clear enough before. I'm just 1/2 cup short of a pint today

Great suggestion and thanks for clarifying!

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    CapnSpanky
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:28:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: harmony gardens
    Excellent suggestions.

Here's my additions.

2 Allow the Track to be named automatically with a Patch name from your Softsynth.

3 Open Multi output Synths automatically with the associated midi tracks and audio tracks next to each other, in a folder, with a toggle to allow you to switch views between midi, audio or midi/audio tracks.

4 A Groove matrix

Wow... more good stuff!! Cakewalk should take heed.

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    Susan G
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:47:34 (permalink)
    Hi HG-

Can you elaborate a bit on this? There already is a drop-down of softsynths in the FX bin of any Audio track. I'm just not sure what you mean. I like the options available in the Synth Rack.

Thanks-

-Susan

harmony gardens
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 13:58:22 (permalink)
    Hi Susan,,,, What I'm thinking is something more along the lines of the way Project 5 works. When you want insert a track, you select insert Audio or Synth track, and if you select synth, you get a dropdown menu that has a list of your VSTi's and DXi's in that list.

I guess I wish the synth rack had a home on the GUI. It always seems to get behind something when I'm working with it, and I have to move windows around to find the darned thing.

EDITED,,, Can't type today.. lol
    post edited by harmony gardens - 2006/03/23 14:07:48
    Susan G
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 14:06:31 (permalink)
    Hi HG-
    I guess I wish the synth rack had a home on the GUI. It always seems to get behind something when I'm working with it, and I have to move windows around to find the darned thing.

Ah, I see. I usually just "Enable tabbed" on the Synth Rack, and on the individual synth GUI once it comes up.

Thanks-

-Susan

R!Soc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 14:08:00 (permalink)
    Great list!

In addition, and not specific to midi, make the "now time" stationary in the clips pane (like it use to work in cakewalk for Dos) and have the contents of the clips pane scroll back and forth smoothly.
    harmony gardens
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 14:21:04 (permalink)
    Ah, I see. I usually just "Enable tabbed" on the Synth Rack, and on the individual synth GUI once it comes up.

Ok,, now you've stumped me.. "enable tabbed" ?? I'm not sure what that is...

In Project 5, you just click on a little box on the track, and your Softsynth opens. It saves a step from having to open and close the synth rack to get to your synth.

Actually, there are a bunch of things I like better about the midi implimentation in Project 5 than Sonar's,,, but I usually get flamed when I suggest combining the two programs,,,, so I'm baby stepping my wishes.
    Susan G
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 14:49:42 (permalink)
    Hi HG-
    I usually get flamed when I suggest combining the two programs,,,, so I'm baby stepping my wishes.

Tell me about it -- try bringing up FL Studio's Piano Roll!

"Enable Tabbed" is a new option in 5.x. Whenever you open a new synth or FX window you can click in the upper left and check "Enable Tabbed". This puts its GUI in a tabbed window at the bottom of the Track View. Very nice!

-Susan

harmony gardens
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/23 14:57:14 (permalink)

Hi HG-
    I usually get flamed when I suggest combining the two programs,,,, so I'm baby stepping my wishes.

Tell me about it -- try bringing up FL Studio's Piano Roll!

"Enable Tabbed" is a new option in 5.x. Whenever you open a new synth or FX window you can click in the upper left and check "Enable Tabbed". This puts its GUI in a tabbed window at the bottom of the Track View. Very nice!

-Susan

Thanks Susan,,, I'm still on Sonar 4. BTW, I didn't mention specifically that I liked your suggestions, but I do.

I get vapors thinking of what it would be like to have a super program with all these improvements.. lmao.
    kstevege
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 11:51:50 (permalink)
    YES!! Great suggestions here from everyone. If these suggestions were implemented Sonar would be near perfect!!

Steve
    Tomcat
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 13:02:43 (permalink)
    ROFLMAO, Steve! And you know why!

Every single one of those things were on the list I gave you when you asked on another forum why I now use Cubase SX-3 instead of Sonar 4/5 PE (I have both) for my midi sequencing and VSTi's.

I personally REALLY doubt you will get Cakewalk to add those things simply because if they do then they will be bombarded with people saying they copied/stole them from Cubase and they would look like they couldn't come up with things on their own.

HOWEVER, I told them the same things when they sent me an email questionair about what I thought/wanted in Sonar and they have never said a word about any of it to me. I will also say that IF they did do all that, then I would probably use Sonar again for my midi/VSTi sequencing because I prefer not to have a dongled software if I don't have to BUT I have so far not had a single problem with it, but I don't take it outside the studio and I don't have people coming into my studio that might make it evaporate on me.

Best of luck getting those things into Sonar X!

Tom

Sonar 4PE & 5PE, Athlon 64 dual core 4400+, 4 gigs ram, 1x80 gig OS HD, 1x80 gig Project HD, 1x300 gig Storage/Sample HD, 1x250 gig external archive HD, Korg Trinity V3, Yamaha Tyros I, Roland Fantom XR module with all 6 SRX card slots filled
    Susan G
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 13:28:08 (permalink)
    Hi Tom-
    I personally REALLY doubt you will get Cakewalk to add those things simply because if they do then they will be bombarded with people saying they copied/stole them from Cubase and they would look like they couldn't come up with things on their own.

Personally, I've never seen Cubase (didn't want to purchase a dongle just to try the demo), so I didn't steal any ideas from it for my suggestions -- maybe these features just make good sense! I can't imagine that Cakewalk would refuse to add them for fear of being "bombarded" with accusations such as you describe. Who would bombard them, and from what platform? Cubase users on this or their forum? So what, as long as SONAR is improved?

The competition in this market is very healthy, I think, and I seriously doubt that a company would hesitate to add a feature just because another already has it. That makes no sense to me -- but maybe you were kidding?

-Susan

sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 13:44:07 (permalink)

The competition in this market is very healthy, I think, and I seriously doubt that a company would hesitate to add a feature just because another already has it. That makes no sense to me -- but maybe you were kidding?

-Susan

Yeah, I really think the competion is great; for us! I dislike it when people get all touchy about it. I think strong competion brings out the best.

I have a good feeling that Cakewalk is taking notes on these well written suggestions.
    CapnSpanky
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 13:55:45 (permalink)
    I suspected that some of these midi improvement ideas came from other apps that already had them as features. None-the-less, the suggestions are excellent and Calkwalk should seriously consider implementing them.

My guess is that Calkwalk is already aware of these. I imagine they keep very close tabs on the competition.
    post edited by CapnSpanky - 2006/03/24 14:03:25

Tim Wells
    -------
    Cap'n Spanky
    Tomcat
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 14:00:21 (permalink)
    Hi Susan; I was only referring to the original list posted by Steve and not to the other things you and the other people added.

The rest is simply my personal opinion based on the fact that Cakewalk has known about these things for a long time and has not chosen to introduce them into Sonar, so I am not optimistic about it happening any time soon.

Tom

Sonar 4PE & 5PE, Athlon 64 dual core 4400+, 4 gigs ram, 1x80 gig OS HD, 1x80 gig Project HD, 1x300 gig Storage/Sample HD, 1x250 gig external archive HD, Korg Trinity V3, Yamaha Tyros I, Roland Fantom XR module with all 6 SRX card slots filled
    Susan G
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2006/03/24 14:05:56 (permalink)
    Hi Tom-

You might be right -- I hope not! I guess my optimism comes from the fact that CW seems to be "shaking up" the PRV a bit lately. We'll see what comes of it...

Thanks-

-Susan

rdolmat
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 640
    RE: Improvements to Sonar MIDI functions 2007/11/22 22:38:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kstevege

MIDI EDITING IMPROVEMENTS WISH LIST FOR NEXT UPDATE/PATCH

5. For midi preferences there should be a "follow notes" feature so when you are playing back during editing in Piano Roll View it will pick up playing in the middle of a note block. In Sonar it will not play back until it comes to a new note, so if you have some long held notes it won't play back as long as the cursor is still on that note block.

YES!!!

I gotta go back to Cubase SX so I can finish my meditation/new age thingy...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1