ReMOTE SL

Author
lost sheep
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 798
2006/03/03 07:14:14 (permalink)

ReMOTE SL

Have posted this on the P5 forum but thought someone here might also have some info...

Anyone able to give feedback on running the Novation Remote SL with P5 and/or DimPro yet?

I'm giving it consideration to get more out of DimPro & my other softsynths but it's a lot of $$$ for a 2 Oct controller.

I know there are cheaper alternatives but Novation seem to have a good reputation.

26 Replies Related Threads

mlc
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/03 09:18:07 (permalink)
    Novation makes excellent controllers. I have the Remote 49 (4 octaves). It is being replaced by the new SL series that you mention, but you can still get them.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Keyboards/Midi/MIDI/Controllers?sku=701719

Mike

Ooops! I just noticed you are in Scotland, so I guess that link is not very useful..
    post edited by mlc - 2006/03/03 09:24:48

Sonar X3 64 bit - Windows 7 64-bit
    RME Fireface UC
    i7 2600K 3.4 GHz 16 GB RAM
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/03 12:09:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comment Mike. That will be another thumbs up for Novation then?

The P5 thread has answered what I need to know other than how to pay for it!

Click http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=718610 if you want to see what was said.

Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/03 21:46:46 (permalink)
    The SL series (25, 37, and 61 note versions) look to be quite amazing keyboards. The Automap and full LCD readout make them very interesting. I will have to see how they feel in real playing.
    togo59
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/07 17:34:38 (permalink)
    I have a Novation ReMOTE 61 (not SL) and it comes with a great patch/template editor that makes it a doddle to create your own customised templates to suit each virtual instrument. Apart from S4PE, the only Cake instrument I have is z3ta+ (which I bought before Rene ate his Cake [bad joke ]) but I would say that provided you get a keyboard that is easy to program and an instrument that provides simpe midi learn, they're all pretty much the same.

As for playing, I've never really agreed with this 'semi-weighted' nonsense. I tried loads of keyboards and they all feel cr@p to play after a hammer-weighted keyboard. I'm used to both now and all I would say is that fast trills etc are slightly easier on a so-called semi-weighted 'board.

...ping?

Sonar has charms to soothe the savage breast. 
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/13 22:48:15 (permalink)
    I recentlyexchanged a KB for a Remote SL 25. Not being very experienced with midi Kb it is hard to compare with others. I will say though I'm glad i bought it. It has installed templates for 2 of my synths including another which I want to buy. This KB has features which I'm yet to delve into. Uploading templates from the template editor is great, naming the function of each pot, slider and button is done in the editor, when you use the controls, what you name it shows up on the LCD screen on the KB. Have not mapped Dim yet. So much to do, so little time....
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/19 23:24:58 (permalink)
    Anyone here have any luck with P5's transport midi functions and NOVATION controllers, P5 doesn't seem to accept MMC commands, I have tried others but they just don't seem to be getting through to P5. Any strategies would be appreciated. Also my Editor tells me i need to update the KB's OS, it doesn't seem to be on the web site...
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/19 23:50:00 (permalink)
    P5 doesn't seem to accept MMC commands, I have tried others but they just don't seem to be getting through to P5.
    It doesn't; no sysex messages of any kind. You need to reassign what the Transport sends as MIDI output to something that Project5 understands. I've got Sonar, so I set the transport functions to send NRPN messages. Then both apps understand the same messages.

In the Novation (working from a Remote25), press the Edit button, and then each of the transport switches in turn. The LCD will reflect the current edited control. Switch each transport function from MMC to either a MIDI CC#, NRPN, or something else like a Note On/Off. Make each of the transport controls unique (different CC#, or different NRPN, etc.). Save the setup as a template.

In P5, right-click on each of the transport buttons there, and Learn in the proper message from the Novation. Now, you're going to have to make some editing adjustments. Consider the Play/Stop button. It's a two-state device. You have to adjust the Button type in the Novation's Edit menu for Normal, Momentary, Toggle, or Step. Each transport control will be slightly different (in what mimics a real transport action). Then re-save your Novation template, and Save as Template (assuming a 'bare-bones' project template) in Project5's File menu.

Now, every time you start up a P5 project (with the correct template in the Novation up), everything will work as expected. Now, for those updates: they used to be difficult to find. I need to look up the new template editor (if it exists) anyway. Let you know what I find.
    HTH
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/20 00:56:35 (permalink)
    P5 doesn't seem to accept MMC commands

I'm a little surprised at that ('cause, you know, I'm in the SL club now too fellas!) but, as Tom said, there are ways around it.
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/20 04:30:59 (permalink)
    Hey Tom, for those of us trying to get back on our bikes (that excludes GWB) can you give an idiot summary of what are RPNs & NRPNs. I don't mean a detailed breakdown, it's just that I understand CC's but I'm not sure where these PN's fit into the control options. The noobs might benefit from this one as well!
    b rock
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/20 12:01:02 (permalink)
    summary of what are RPNs & NRPNs. I don't mean a detailed breakdown, it's just that I understand CC's but I'm not sure where these PN's fit into the control options.
    I see from that other thread that you've landed on the Borg pages. Really clear explanations of MIDI stuff. A little outdated in parts, and a few misinterpretations, but the lion's share is very applicable and handy info.. So you've read the RPN & NRPN tutorial there. And (like me), you went, "Huh? Too much work."

I've stayed away from RPNs. There's only like 5 of them defined, and nobody implements them, but I thought it'd be safer to stay away from that. Still, you'd be safe with using just about any of the 16,384 sources. I'd stay away from the bottom end.

But you've got the same amount of controllers at your disposal with Non-Registered Parameter Numbers. When are you ever going to use 16,000+ controls up? Still, there's the math. CC#s are two-part messages: the controller number, followed by the value. xRPN's come in three parts. The MSB [CC# 99] of the controller, the LSB [CC#98: both numbers combine to a single decimal number in practice], and then the value. (I think the LSB is transmitted first).

And the value is sent over CC#6 [Data Entry]. Let's not even get into the Fine value [CC#38], and the Data Increment/Decrement [96, 97]. The fact is that you don't need to know this stuff to make it work. There's no way to explain xRPN's without getting technical, but they use two MIDI CC#s (each) to get you a lot of extra locations, and use 1 or 2 more CC#s to attach a value to the tail end of that. MIDI simply ran out of room (with 128 CC#s), and concocted a way to get around that.

OK, in your application, you're probably just going to see this as a single decimal number, from 0-16,383. That's what MIDI Learn is for: cut down on the hassle. In a Novation, you have to set the MSB and LSB individually. The slider or control itself becomes the 'Data Entry' value. So, let's make life easy:

In the Edit mode, select the Control Type as NRPN. Let the LSBank number become your "CC#". Think 128 different sources here. Keep your MSBank Num at 0. Think of this like a "bank" of NRPNs. Change the bank, and you get 128 more NRPNs to play with. Like making it an MSBank Num of 1.

On the MIDI learn side, when your transmit an MSB/LSB combo of 0/23 (automatically in the Novation by moving the "Data" slider), you're going to get a decimal 23 in the Learn sensing window. Had it been an MSB of 1 instead, you'd see 151 (128 slots, plus another 23). And on up the ladder. This should stay active (like a "running status" for the current NRPN) until the destination synth or app encounters another unique NRPN.

In practice, I'm just starting to fill up my first NRPN "bank" now, in addition to a "scheme" for all the original CC#s. (OK, I lied. So I'm spilling over the first bank a little). Some synths use the lowest NRPN numbers for their own internal use. I think that GrooveWhatever is one of them. If you're worried about that, or have problems with a synth, it might be prudent to jump to the next (MSB=1 [Dec.]) bank.

Sheesh! Look at this mess. I tried to write up something clear & simple. I'm away from the home front right now, but I'll try to get back to clarify anything that I can (memory-permitting) from this rat's-nest of tangled information.
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/20 13:30:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom. So basically xRPN are simply an extension of the CC# system with a less friendly setup. I am guessing that the majority of synths would rely on channel selection and a maximum of 127 parameters for control, but I can imagine Rapture going beyond this. Would this be why Rapture was launched with midi learn?

If you have your own bank of NRPNs is this to avoid pre-programed conflicts with CC0 -127 or purely due to the complexity and range of your controllers?
    b rock
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/20 15:37:59 (permalink)
    avoid pre-programed conflicts with CC0 -127 or purely due to the complexity and range of your controllers?
    A little of both, Sheep; probably more on the flexible controller end. Not that the controllers themselves are all that complex, but there's a lot of them. And (we've talked about this) I like to be able to switch it from one giant virtual controller to several "pods", or any combination of that.

You start weeding out the defined MIDI CC#s, and those that you shouldn't commandeer, and the double-precision ones, and you still end up with a lot for your own use. But think of a lot of 2-octave controllers, and all those knobs/sliders/buttons/etc. on each. Throw in some external FX and control surfaces. You run out real quick.
    I am guessing that the majority of synths would rely on channel selection and a maximum of 127 parameters for control
    That's the way to go. But (once again), I want the controllers to transmit together (on one MIDI channel), or separately on individual channels. At the flick of a switch. . The Ion transmits on four. MIDI Guitar grabs 6 more. You try to leave drums for ch. 10, and channel 1 open for legacy synths. The mixers and FX want a channel for scene changes. I'm already fresh out. I've got an old hardware MIDI router to help ease the load (multiple Ports of MIDI channels).

OK, so 7 out of 10 times, it's a couple of controllers, the mixer, and some synths. But I can layer these in, and come back later without any concern that the next layer will conflict with any of the previous ones. And I've got enough room for "guests" without re-patching or unplugging everything. It took a long time to get to this point. I realize that this may be just slightly outside of the norm.
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/21 22:35:58 (permalink)
    REMOTE SL TRANSPORT MIDI LEARN UPDATE

Have tried a few different settings even RPN, so far the only one that works is NOTE but when you have an instrument armed for recording this isn't ideal. CC's, so far don't work, the SL doesn't transmit NRPN's AUTOMAP perhaps has taken this over maybe. I have taken care not to use the MIDI standard reserved controller numbers in the unlikely case that this would interfere. P5 recognises that CC#'s have been assigned and will learn what is coming from the KB, but in use it doesn't action the task after it has been assigned. Will spend some more time on this. Oh Yeh I should mention that I'm NOT using Dimension PRO, however it's the transport buttons I'm interested in for now.

The Setup Editor is asking for OS 1.10.1 I think from memory, so far I have loaded 2 of the latest Editor downloads without finding the new OS. Maybe I'm just not understanding it.

Anyone else out there with a SL?
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/21 22:37:21 (permalink)
    Oops, the transport buttons don't transmit NRPN's perhaps the other controllers do
    b rock
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/22 05:26:06 (permalink)
    the transport buttons don't transmit NRPN's
    They do in the Remote25. Hmm ... I can't see the Automapping taking over all of the NRPNs, but (as you know), I don't have an SL. Paradroid just got one. If we can pry him away from it long enough, perhaps he'll weigh in on what's specific to that new model.

As a comparison, I've got version 1.1 in the Template Editor, and my O/S for the Remote25 itself is 2.3.03. Version 2.x is when the really cool stuff started appearing. On this KB, you can find that out easily by dumping the O/S over MIDI (with no destination). Power down, press the F1, F2, and F3 buttons simultaneously, and power back up. Hit Write, and the current O/S id displayed while a .mid file of it is dumped. You can also update the O/S this way, substituting the F2, F3, & F4 buttons in the operation above. These are in addition to the Global update and dump options (.syx), or those involving the Template Editor.

I'm sure that there's going to be some differences in the newer SL stuff, and I apologize for any confusion. Let me check into this deeper when I settle back home.
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/22 06:23:11 (permalink)
    The SL software editor I downloaded and installed this week, (I haven't got my SL yet), allows allocation of a wide range of controls including NRPNs to the transport buttons.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/22 06:34:42 (permalink)
    Paradroid just got one. If we can pry him away from it long enough, perhaps he'll weigh in on what's specific to that new model.

Sorry, it's been a fortnight of music making and pretty much nothing else (aside from drink coffee, shoot the breeze at smoko, cycle home, go to sleep, get up, repeat…) The worst (or best?) part is that I've had zero access to the Net during the day which is proving pretty tough in terms of keeping up with all the gab here and other stuff that I should be paying attention too.

So, hang in there… I'll start talking SL & catching up on all Tom's Rapture discoveries as soon as the day job comes knocking next week.
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/24 02:45:17 (permalink)
    Yep NRPN's available through the editor for the transport keys but not through the KB edit function. Probably that illusive OS I' trying to track down. Have had some limited functionality using NRPN's for the Transport keys last night, we'll see what the weekend holds.
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/27 05:58:21 (permalink)
    So how do Novation owners rate their free Bass Station?
    b rock
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/27 06:45:34 (permalink)
    Novation owners rate their free Bass Station
    The early adoptors didn't get one. And the offer for the free upgrade was restricted to "local" customers only. I filled out the form anyway.
    I think that I tipped them off that I was in the US, though: I used "swamp" instead of "bog" in the return address. Or maybe I used an "Z" instead of an "S" somewhere.

You caved on the SL, Trevor. Didn't you ...
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/27 10:45:38 (permalink)
    You caved on the SL, Trevor. Didn't you ...
    Depends on what you mean by caved... perhaps caked might be more accurate...

Yes I caved in and actually ordered a 37SL.

Yes I caved in and cancelled the order when they told me they wouldn't be available until the end of April...

Launched, advertised, priced, no stock... caked!
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/27 22:01:32 (permalink)
    Wise, an extra Octave to the 25 would be nice. I have loaded Bass Station and tried a few sounds, might be handy to use, but other VST sounds I have sound just as good.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/28 03:37:41 (permalink)
    I think the 37 is a great size. 25 is not enough and 49 is too close to 61.
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/28 22:52:25 (permalink)
    I have read that apparently Cakewalk have an SL from Novation, perhaps they could shed some light/advice on the possibilities with P5/Sonar and the new Novation controller soon.
    lost sheep
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/03/29 02:56:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: strom32

I have read that apparently Cakewalk have an SL from Novation, perhaps they could shed some light/advice on the possibilities with P5/Sonar and the new Novation controller soon.

Sonar is already officially Automapped....

http://www.novationmusic.com/news.asp?id=111

P5 I think you may have to wait... it could be a V3 thing
    strom32
    RE: ReMOTE SL 2006/04/25 23:34:08 (permalink)
    New OS update has finally been put on the Novation web site, at time of writing this post the link to the OS file is not working

http://www.novationmusic.com/downloads.asp?productid=30&type=1
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1