Converting live drums to Midi

Author
dooleyblu
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2006/03/08 12:30:39 (permalink)

Converting live drums to Midi

I have a live Stereo recording of a great song by our church band. Unfortunately the recording quality is crap and there are a lot of mistakes. The drummer did a great job and I would like to recapture what he did in Midi and re-record the rest of the tracks. I tried to play along with the Midi keyboard and record the Midi but it is certainly not a drum set. Any other suggestions?

Dooley Blue Studios
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 - 2-Gig Mem, Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4,
WD 80GB SATA 7200RPM-OS, WD 80GB IDE 7200RPM-Samples, SB 250GB SATA 7200RPM-Audio, E-MU 0404, eVGA 6200, FirePod
Cakewalk Sonar 6.0 Producer/ Adobe Audition 1.5

2 Replies Related Threads

markheath
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: Converting live drums to Midi 2006/03/08 14:29:47 (permalink)
    OK, you've not got an easy task ahead of you! You didn't say which software package you have. I'll assume SONAR, but you can do similar things with other packages. (update - oops I didn't look at your sig)

One of your problems is that your stereo recording quite probably isn't at a steady tempo all the way through. Do you want your new recording to follow exactly the original, or do you want everything to line up nicely with measure and beat boundaries in your sequencer?

A second problem is getting MIDI drums to sound as convincing as a real drummer. It can be done, but it takes practise and time, as well as a decent set of drum samples. There are some reasonable ones around for free. You could try playing the ns_kit7 free through sfz.

Here's an approach you might take to get you started.

1. Load your stereo recording into your sequencer, and create a MIDI track below it. Use the piano roll to program in beats to match up with what the drummer plays. You might be able to play some measures in using your MIDI keyboard one or two drums at a time. You can use your sequencer's loop feature to keep playing bars as you make adjustments to the note positions until they are in time. Remember that drummers often repeat the same 2 bar pattern through a verse or chorus, so you don't necessarily need to do the whole thing.

2. By this time you will have a reasonable feel for the patterns and fills your drummer is playing. Now you can start a new project and program them in using the piano roll, but this time you can align them to the grid rather than to the stereo wave file. You can then cut and paste the different 2 bar patterns and fills to make a backing track for the song. Pay careful attention to note velocities as this makes a big difference to realism.

Alternatively, you could just look for some good drum loops that fit the song. You might have to pay a bit, but it will work out a lot quicker.

post edited by markheath - 2006/03/08 14:35:41
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Converting live drums to Midi 2006/03/08 16:18:53 (permalink)
    Drumagog is the easiest way, it will basically extract all the information for you and create a midi drum track.

Sonar also has an obscure feature called "extract timing" that can be used to "read" an audio track and produce a midi note at every transient. It's finicky, and not super-intuitive to use, but it can be made to work.

Cheers.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1