OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details...

Author
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
2006/03/10 13:16:00 (permalink)

OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details...

Title says it all really. Logged in to my credit card account tonight and found a transaction that wasn't mine for just over £100...contacted my credit card company and apparently there was a much bigger transaction attempt a day earlier for over £500, which they fortunately rejected. I think I have some spyware on my computer that transmitted my card details when I purchased the soundcard on Sunday night...this is despite having an AV running constantly and updating every day; so much for security!

I guess this should warn everyone not to rely on your AV to always protect you...probably a good idea to have a dedicated spyware program running too.

25 Replies Related Threads

tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 13:25:28 (permalink)
    A very true statement! I'm always careful with waht I download. If I download a file I always scan and re-scan the file for viruses/spyware before opening. Also, remember that unless you are on a trusted company's site, DONT download Active-X control as they are usually just viruses or worms.

I think I run Norton AV pro and 2 spyware detectors regularly and run the norton to check any website I open! That, and the 3 firewalls we run makes it prety ahrd to access our system!

But seriously, NEVER use credit cards unless you are on a secure system, and always be careful wtih waht you download. Not to say you weren't, but people are getting more clever these days on working out how to outsmart people and get their details...

Any kind of compensation you can get there Xylyx?

T

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 13:31:03 (permalink)

there has been a rash of credit card ATM thefts recently
    apparently someone figured out that various retailers were holding people's PIN numbers as well as credit card numbers somewhere in their database
    and computer criminals find it a lot easier to withdraw cash directly than steal goods with stolen credit and fence that merchandise

here's a link to to an msnbc article
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11731365/

what you have sounds a little different
    could you tell us which vendor so we can avoid that one for a while?

xylyx
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 14:12:48 (permalink)
    It wasn't the vendor at fault. I have just purchased a spyware remover that has found keyloggers on my system, which apparently bypassed my AV's so-called realtime protection and my firewall. It would appear that when I entered my CC details into the vendor's site, the keylogger then transmitted this info onwards...the two transactions that occurred were to an online betting shop. My credit card company will reimburse my account under it's online fraud policies, so I won't actually lose any money, but I am now going to have to wait for a new card to be sent as the other one has now been cancelled.

To be honest, it was only by chance that I realised my info had been stolen online...I happened to notice when accessing my other CC account that during the normal 'reading from' stage that for a second 'http.edge.ru4.com' appeared. The ru4 in particular made me alert, but it just didn't fit in with AMEX server names. Hopefully, this spyware program will kill the keyloggers and I can then look at changing my various passwords.
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 14:22:20 (permalink)
    I had my Check card number stolen on the web about a month ago. I'm pretty sure it got snagged somewhere in the transaction when I purchased Centralogic's Feldspar VSTi (very nice synth!) http://www.contralogic.com/synths/vst_feldspar.html

The guy who got my number ordered a few things from various music equipment online retailers in the UK and also kept trying to order things from outdoors retailers like LL Bean in the US. I got several letters in the mail saying "your order was rejected because we do not ship to your location" from these outdoors retailers....I didn't order anything from them!

He managed to charge about $400 on my card before I caught it and cancelled the card. My bank is investigating the fraudulent charges and I should get my money back.

Someone in England is a bastard. :P

I don't know if it was Centralogic's fault or the payment company/system they were using. I emailed them (or it may just be one guy..its a small developer) about this just to let them know and I haven't heard back which kinda pisses me off a bit. I was ready to not blame Centralogic, but not even responding kinda makes me think the company is irrisponsible or actually guilty in some way.

MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 14:30:15 (permalink)
    Rob, (edit: or anyone else who is a victim of ID theft...) not to sound paranoid, but be careful.
    The bad guys know who you are now (e-mail address, IP, etc.) and it might behoove you to change your Internet provider, or at least contact your current one to request a new account (if possible). Identity thieves may move on once your credit card account is changed, but then again they may try again, since they do have your IP.
    Also, you might limit who has access to your computer, as sometimes it may not be you who downloaded the keylogger, but possibly another family member (or friend) who did....
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2006/03/10 14:37:08

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    xylyx
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 14:46:09 (permalink)
    I'm the only one who uses this computer, so it must have been me who picked up the crap in my cyber travels. The spyware proggy seems to have removed the keyloggers, but whenever I go to various sites that ru4 url still keeps sending info. From a google search, it appears to be some advertising company that uses the info for advertising purposes, but I don't trust anyone sending info from my computer. Is there a way to block URL's in Firefox?
    tclark
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1525
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 15:13:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

Rob, (edit: or anyone else who is a victim of ID theft...) not to sound paranoid, but be careful.
    The bad guys know who you are now (e-mail address, IP, etc.) and it might behoove you to change your Internet provider, or at least contact your current one to request a new account (if possible). Identity thieves may move on once your credit card account is changed, but then again they may try again, since they do have your IP.

I might suggest getting an IP resetter. We have one here. It basically means that you can turn off your internet connection and when you turn it back on, you are assigned a new IP. It's great for this kind of thing.

I couldn't name it off the top of my head, but basically it resets your IP address to a random new one every time you re-connect to the internet.

so if you're worried about them tracking your IP, then your should look into it, seriously.

T

lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 16:04:08 (permalink)
    Discover Card can set you up with a one time transaction number. Not everyone accepts Discover card but you can get secure internet transactions because the number will only work once. No one else can use it ever again. I also think that Am express and visa have something similer. It's a one shot that debits your main account just that one time. So for online purchases where there might be reason for concern, You can cover yourself.
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 17:29:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xylyx

It wasn't the vendor at fault. I have just purchased a spyware remover that has found keyloggers on my system, which apparently bypassed my AV's so-called realtime protection and my firewall.

Hi xylyx, what was the spyware remover you purchased? I might need to look into this as well, thanks.
    xylyx
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 17:39:20 (permalink)
    Spyware Doctor...it'll set you back $30. Download the trial which will scan your system...if it finds anything and you want to remove them then you will have to pay, but for $30 it'll be worth it.

Is there any way to block this url from sending info from my computer? If not, I will have to do a total wipe of Windows, as I don't know how else to stop it...
    xylyx
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 17:41:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lawapa

Discover Card can set you up with a one time transaction number. Not everyone accepts Discover card but you can get secure internet transactions because the number will only work once. No one else can use it ever again. I also think that Am express and visa have something similer. It's a one shot that debits your main account just that one time. So for online purchases where there might be reason for concern, You can cover yourself.

I'll have to look into this...I am certainly more wary about using a credit card online now. Hell, I am wary about submitting any personal details online now...
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 17:48:58 (permalink)
    Which AV program was it that never detected it?
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 18:41:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xylyx

Spyware Doctor...it'll set you back $30. Download the trial which will scan your system...if it finds anything and you want to remove them then you will have to pay, but for $30 it'll be worth it.

Is there any way to block this url from sending info from my computer? If not, I will have to do a total wipe of Windows, as I don't know how else to stop it...

Cheers xylyx.

Zone Alarms may stop it. ZA has a triple layer firewall, Virus scanner, Anti spam module and Spyware detector. Maybe a clean wipe is better to be 100% sure.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 19:07:18 (permalink)
    I have an MBNA Visa credit card, and ALWAYS use their one-time use cc number system when shopping online. I would never give out my real number, especially when buying small dollar stuff (like synths) from folks all around the world. You just never know. Heck, even big companies get hacked into. I just always use it, from Amazon to guy-I've-never-heard-of-before.

The real worry is all the freeware softsynths floating out there. A smart hacker would just advertise on KVR and let the victims roll in.

I would think a good firewall could block a URL, I've done it before, against a likely misguided DOS attack, a couple of years ago.

And I'd do a complete reinstall of my system, if I were you.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 19:37:21 (permalink)
    Frequently deleting temporary internet files can get rid of a lot of these things, as that's where they reside much of the time. :-/

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/10 22:29:56 (permalink)
    I've just got one minor idea to throw into the ring here along with everyone else:

Check NOD32 antivirus. It is a combination antispyware / antivirus program and it has the best track record on the planet as far as I can tell. I use it routinely to wipe Norton's and McAfee's missed garbage off of customer's systems. I can't even count the number of times this thing has detected viruses/trojans that Adaware and Norton have completely missed.

xylyx
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/11 02:05:30 (permalink)
    blipp: It was Grisoft's AVG that didn't block it and Windows built-in firewall too...I will have to check out some of the alternatives mentioned here, as it seems that the free stuff isn't cutting it.

cmusicmaker: Since my last post, I had decided that I was going to do a reinstall...seems that cleaning my system out and then installing these various prevention softwares is better than hoping that there is nothing left on my system.

oroboros: To be honest, I never even knew about these one time credit card numbers...seems like a sensible idea and one I will definitely be looking into. I guess complacency got the better of me, as I have done that many transactions online I stopped being as vigilant as I should have been (used to do a separate spyware scan every week...although it appears the spyware scanner I was using would have missed these keyloggers anyway).

agincourtdb: This program I have now seems to protect against this sort of thing now. It even immunises a bunch of ActiveX files on your system as well as other things...it'll probably slow the computer performance down a bit, but my music computer is not connected to the net, so it's not a major issue. I just need to wipe my system to be sure everything is gone and then immunise...'prevention better than the cure', to use a cliche.

techead: I shall check this out after the reinstall...was going to download it now, but I have to fill in a form with my address and everything to download a trial, so I will wait until I have cleaned my system off seeing as it still seems to transmit info to some url at the moment.
    bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/11 04:20:48 (permalink)
    Check out Ewido.

Best free antispyware I've seen.

Free dl at http://www.ewido.net/en/
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/11 10:29:35 (permalink)
    Check out Ewido.
    Thanks for that, man. And that's no bulls hit. That anti-malware just picked up a nagging little worm that I couldn't get rid of with anything else. It's been around so long that I almost made it part of my workflow. Gone. Even Panda missed it.

The one-shot credit card numbers? Buy yourself a Visa gift card for slightly over the amount that you want to spend. 6 bucks for bullet-proof security.
    bulls hit
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/11 18:12:18 (permalink)
    Hay glad it worked for you. Yeah it's the business alright. Just remember to keep it updated
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/11 18:32:23 (permalink)
    I've installed it too. Looks good. cheers for the link bulls hit
    bulls hit
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/11 18:57:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blipp

I've installed it too. Looks good. cheers for the link bulls hit

Most welcome!
    xylyx
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/12 02:57:51 (permalink)
    I tried it and it found some stuff that was missed by the other programs I have tried, but there is still something on my computer that is transmitting data online to another location. As mentioned earlier, it seems that the url is for an advertising related business (Poindexter), but I want to stop it doing that...is there a way to get ZoneAlarm's firewall to prevent it from transmitting?
    xylyx
    Well would you believe it? 2006/03/12 16:53:30 (permalink)
    I don't believe it! After reinstalling my system, I noticed that accessing the AMEX site still brought up that url that was transmitting data...after searching google, it appears that AMEX are a client of this Poindexter company and that it isn't something dodgy after all!

Ah well, I guess I at least know my system is clean and that the various firewalls and blockers should hopefully stop any more crap from happening...
    awilki01
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: OT: Looks like somebody got my credit card details... 2006/03/12 17:51:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

Changing ISPs or ISP accounts will not help you in the least. They are just your 'first hop' into the Internet. What you download is strictly up to you. Having your IP address is not a problem if you have a firewall - like everyone should. There is really no excuse not too. For those that do not have a hardware router/firewall, there are some good software ones as well.

The best thing to do if you have a hardware firewall is to set up a private address range e.g. 10.x.x.x on your home LAN and use the router/firewall to NAT that address to the public address. The only thing anyone can really do is attack your router. Let them. I could care less. But, I do have that locked down as well. The only time you could potentially get into trouble is if you do a static port translation for the NAT.

Now, once you download the software and get the spyware, that is a whole different story because then your PC is the one sending the data.

Adam

post edited by awilki01 - 2006/03/12 18:07:11
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1