Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central

Author
Carl Jacobson [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
2006/03/14 11:16:02 (permalink)

Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central

Hello All,

I thought you may be interested to know that Craig Anderton is doing one of his pro reviews on Rapture at Harmony Central:

Harmony Central Pro Review: Rapture

For those of you unaware of the Pro Reviews, these are interactive reviews where you can post and ask questions while Craig is working on it. So if there's anything you want to know about Rapture, you should click the link, read the review and start asking questions.

28 Replies Related Threads

cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/15 13:44:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up Carl. The Sonar 5 Harmony Central review was great. This should be equally interesting.
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/15 18:52:21 (permalink)
    Awesome, I didn't know about this...Sonar 5 reviewed...makes my day! Thanks Carl!

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    JazzSinger
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 895
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/16 03:58:30 (permalink)
    Was this a joke or is there really a S5 review? I sure as hell can't find one...
    cmusicmaker
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/16 04:14:52 (permalink)
    JazzSinger the S5 interactive Pro Review is here...

Sonar 5 Producer Pro Review

Very detailed and a very unique way to review a product. Have a look.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/16 12:30:06 (permalink)
    And here is Craig Anderton "reviewing the reviews". I don't have any heroes in my radar, Craig, but let's just say that you're as close as it comes. I've built and read everything. Thanks.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/18 17:32:12 (permalink)
    Well I must say this is turning into an interesting review. I've posted a bunch of MP3 files, unfortunately they're constrained time-wise by what the BBS software can handle, but they're still pretty useful. The Arturia Minimoog/Rapture filter comparison was pretty interesting.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/18 19:52:46 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for creating and posting the MP3s, Craig. Here are a couple of examples a member "kdm" created while we were debating whether or not Rapture had what it took to create "fat" synth sounds (i.e. old-skool analog).

FWIW, here are a couple of simple, rough mix demo tracks showing another side of Rapture:

http://www.keyofd.net/demos/Rapture80s.mp3

http://www.keyofd.net/demos/RapturePads.mp3

Here is a link to the thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=720183&mpage=1&key=

It's in the Project 5 forum and called "Another Rapture Review"

I think we can all agree that Rapture can play in the pool with the top-rate VA softys which among other things are good at mimicking "real" analog. At that point it's a matter of taste. The same way it was "back in the day" when one chose to use a Prophet, OBXa or Jupiter on a track, assuming all were at the disposal of the producer for a given project. Personally I lean toward the OBXa end of the spectrum. And even though Rapture is on top of my list of new acquisitions, I'm still looking at the Gmedia stuff, especially impOscar and Minimonsta, as well as Fab Filter Twin, Sytrus, and Arturia's 2600.

Thanks again for the great review and sound demos, Craig. BTW if you want to do anything else, give us the Van Halen "Jump" OB brass sound, and play a bunch of similar licks, i.e. moving triad-based stuff. That'll really show off Rapture's ability to do "real" analog.
    awilki01
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 817
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/20 14:27:09 (permalink)
    There are new updates and sounds for this review. Check it out...
    JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 04:11:29 (permalink)
    Frustrating:

Craig's comparison of DimPro to Rapture is as obtuse as any I have seen so far.

Yes, the preset libs are aimed at different types of music. But that has nothing to do with the instruments themselves.

DP has only 4 elements, Rap has 6. Good. And then? What else is REALLY different?

Is one a superset of the other? Can Rapture play all DimPro sounds? If not, why not? THAT is where the differences are that would interest me. Is Rapture basically DimPro with more features? If so, what features? Or is it different in other ways? And if so, in what ways?
    b rock
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 08:32:25 (permalink)
    What else is REALLY different? Is one a superset of the other? Can Rapture play all DimPro sounds? If not, why not? THAT is where the differences are that would interest me. Is Rapture basically DimPro with more features? If so, what features? Or is it different in other ways? And if so, in what ways?
    I've got to come up with a good metaphor for this. It comes up too often to let pass. I always use a comparison to Adobe Creative Suite: completely distinct apps, some overlap in features, and an integrated architecture with a consistent GUI. You can do layers (for example) in both After Effects and Photoshop, but the applications are geared for unique results. Of course, if you don't do computer graphic design, this means nothing to you.

Take just about any hardware synth manufacturer: Alesis, for example. Same general look, some of the same controls, yet different sound sources with their own methods of processing sound. But once past the cosmetic similarities, no one would mistake an Andromeda or an Ion for a QuadraSynth. The first group uses single-cycle wavetables (or an analog source) to produce the raw sound, and gears the processing stages towards that. The second type uses full samples stored in ROM, and aims for an appropriate processing of that. Both will contain similar stages in the signal chain, each with features unique to that type of synthesis.

To compare, I'd place Rapture in the first group, and Dimension Pro in the second. I hate to be so cut & dried in the description, because there is some overlap. Not in the sense of redundant (IMO), but transferable. This is a good thing; not a waste of your hard-earned dollars. Like a Gestalt, "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts." A unified architecture; forward & backward-compatible (in one sense). You can use the basic sound sources of one in a limited fashion within the other synth. That's where the two approaches part company.

Rapture then takes it's "sources" (wavetable or sample), and splits it into multiple oscillators, ring modulates it, filters and "effects" it in more ways, modulates it with StepGens, user-defined LFOs, a very deep MIDI control, and a Global processing section. And you have six layers of synthesizers to do this with.

Dimension Pro takes it's sources (wavetable, physical modeling, or samples), and runs it through a similar, but not as extensive, set of processing options. More appropriately geared to what it does best: sample-based synthesis. And you can do this four times over. The new DP 1.2 update "borrows" some of the advanced features of Rapture, and incorporates them into its workflow. Rapture is newer, and has the advantages of extended R&D.

I've compared the two here (deeply), and I can say with confidence that the similarities remain on the surface. I just wish that I could explain that a little better. Rapture is more of a future-retro version of what you would think of as 'classic synthesis construction'. The go-to synth for synthesis of sounds beyond naturally-occurring ones. And it also does samples. Dimension Pro is geared towards 'natural' instrument sounds and processing those into something unique. But it also does subtractive synthesis. And the defintion of 'natural' ranges from a violin to the human voice to 'found' sounds, like a trash can lid.

Hmm ... Rapture='pure' synthesis + sample support. Dimension Pro=sample-based synthesis+waveform support. Each has its own focus.
    I hope that this clarified, rather than confused the 'issue'. If it's the former, please fire back.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/03/21 08:47:59
    JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 11:12:40 (permalink)
    that would interest me. Is Rapture basically DimPro with more features? If so, what features? Or is it different in other ways? And if so, in what ways?

I've got to come up with a good metaphor for this. -- I hope that this clarified, rather than confused the 'issue'. If it's the former, please fire back.

Please, no more metaphors. Metaphors tell me nothing. Please, please, somebody, just the facts. Just the facts.

From what you have said, I can distill the following:

Rapture has a ring modulator, DimPro does not.
    Rapture has step generators, DimPro does not.
    DimPro has a physical modelling ("pipe") sound source, Rapture does not. (This item interests me)
    Rapture has user-defined LFOs, DimPro's are preset.
    Rapture has 6 layers. (DimPro has 4, I assume you are referring to Elements?)
    Rapture has a Global processing section, DimPro has... per Element processing only?

I addition, from screenshots and sales literature, I have discerned:

Rapture has up to 9 soundfield positionable sound generators (per element?), DimPro does not.
    DimPro's 4 elements are multitimbral-enableable. Rapture's 6 elements are... not???

filters and "effects" it in more ways
    Could you elaborate?
    a very deep MIDI control
    Like live CC control? Have you examples?
    advanced features of Rapture, and incorporates them into its workflow.
    How should I visualise this "workflow"?
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 11:18:19 (permalink)
    I'm impressed by the precision on the concepts by b, as usual. In the old days, a synthesizer used to be either subtractive, fm or sample-playback. That's not true anymore nowadays: let's think in the OASYS for instance. It has wavetable synthesis, sample-playback. And guess what, he just got a waveguide module

I'll try to add my comments to above questions, in the-short-way.

Is one a superset of the other?

No.

Can Rapture play all DimPro sounds?

'Sounds' are not something simple as 'sounds'. They are in both represented by wavetables, samples, multisamples, elements and programs, in increasing hierarchy. Rapture and Dimension Pro can share wavetables, samples and multisamples in WAV/AIF/AIFF/OGG/SFZ formats. Unique to Dimension Pro is REX/RCY/RX2 support They can't share Element and Program files.

If not, why not?

Element and Program files are dependant on the synth architecture. Therefore, neither will play the other files.
    There was a good analogy stated in the forums comparing Dimension Pro and Rapture with Excel and Word: you can share basic-level structures (wavetables, samples, multisamples), but not high-level documents (can't open a spreadsheet in word).

Is Rapture basically DimPro with more features?

It has some features more, some features less, and a totally different sound set.

If so, what features? Or is it different in other ways? And if so, in what ways?

Dimension Pro has as unique features the 7GB sound library including loads of acoustic/orchestral sounds and the Garritan Pocket Orchestra, REX/RCY/RX2 playback, two effect sends per element, two bus-return type effects, vector mixer, drag-and-drop of groove patterns into the host. Rapture has two more elements, multi oscillators, portamento, oscillator and element-level ring modulation, two filters, variable dsp order, two more modulator pages, one-shot mode for the LFOs, 42 step generators per-program, global effects, expanded ranges in most parameters, 24-rows mod matrix (vs. 16).

I still think that Craig's words were very precise, and possibly the key point using few words.

-Rene
    b rock
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 11:44:20 (permalink)
    Please, no more metaphors. Metaphors tell me nothing. Please, please, somebody, just the facts. Just the facts.
    Agreed, JS. I muffed that one, with a hodge-podge of comparisons and partial feature descriptions. In my defense, I'm away from my setup, and taking quicks little breaks to drop in on the forums. Not enough time to give a complete answer.
    a very deep MIDI control ... Like live CC control? Have you examples?
    Yes I do. At the moment, it's about 7 threads down. HTH

JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:14:01 (permalink)
    Rapture and Dimension Pro can share wavetables, samples and multisamples in WAV/AIF/AIFF/OGG/SFZ formats. Unique to Dimension Pro is REX/RCY/RX2 support
    Ok. I was getting the impression Rapture can only do small sound loops. So both can do each other's .sfz files, even long ones. Ok.
    They can't share Element and Program files.
    Yes, ok, so no backward compatibility like, say, Akai. At that level, each is unique and cannot be compatible. Good, got it.

Dimension Pro
    two effect sends per element, two bus-return type effects,
    vector mixer,
    drag-and-drop of groove patterns into the host.
    Rapture
    6 elements // and DP has 4.
    multi oscillators // Is a multi oscillator a range in an .sfz file?
    portamento, // DP does not have portamento? Oh! I didn't know. Ok.
    oscillator and element-level ring modulation,
    two filters, // Am I right in assuming this means per element?
    variable dsp order, // Does dsp mean effects, i.e. reverb, chorus, etc. order is user definable?
    two more modulator pages,
    one-shot mode for the LFOs,
    42 step generators per-program,
    global effects,
    expanded ranges in most parameters,
    24-rows mod matrix (vs. 16). // Can one see these anywhere? (My Akai Z8 has 64, I think, but includes things like velocity.)

I still think that Craig's words were very precise, and possibly the key point using few words.
    Well, it's billed as a pro review. I was hoping for something more informative.
    René
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:24:47 (permalink)
    6 elements // and DP has 4.

Correcto.

multi oscillators // Is a multi oscillator a range in an .sfz file?

No. More info here http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=714665

Does not, except for a trick in an sfz file.

oscillator and element-level ring modulation,
    two filters, // Am I right in assuming this means per element?

Assumption correct. 0 errors, 0 warnings

variable dsp order, // Does dsp mean effects, i.e. reverb, chorus, etc. order is user definable?

Applies to the per-voice DSP. Dimension Pro gives you Decimator -> Bitred -> Filter -> Drive, while Rapture gives you several other choices. More info here http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=705334

24-rows mod matrix (vs. 16). // Can one see these anywhere? (My Akai Z8 has 64, I think, but includes things like velocity.)

Don't get what you mean here. There're 24 rows to construct modulation routings. This is apart from the 42 EG, 42 LFO and 42 StepGens per-voice, which have seven fixed assignments (Pitch, Cutoff 1, Cutoff2, Resonance 1, Resonance 2, Pan and Amplitude).

-René
    JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:28:11 (permalink)
    b-rock - thanks. That was a good link. I've downloaded it for reference.

I noticed you had to explain to someone what EG means. I see it's necessary to cater to all levels of know-how.

Perhaps I've been in the game too long, but when I buy a synth, I like to imagine what I can do with it. So when I look at specs, I already know what 12dB low-pass filters are going to sound like (Oberheim -yes, yes, I know, DP and Rapture are way beyond this!!! Just an example). And I want to know whether the LFO reaches up into the lower audio range (vocal effect, FM).

I appreciate soft synths are vastly more feature rich than a minimoog :), but the specs are online, not on paper, so I really, really believe a comprehesive list of what it can do represents useful data to potential buyers.

It takes less time to list them than to program them, surely? :)
    cmusicmaker
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:33:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JazzSinger

I appreciate soft synths are vastly more feature rich than a minimoog :), but the specs are online, not on paper, so I really, really believe a comprehesive list of what it can do represents useful data to potential buyers.

While information for Rapture clearly exists online do you mean info like this...? z3ta
    René
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:34:22 (permalink)

Definitely. Doing both takes more time than any other combination though

-René
    JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:39:13 (permalink)
    Whoops, I think our postings are crossing each other!

Rene, many many thanks for the links, I have downloaded them and will study them tonight.

Ha! I accept that as ahomework assignment for me tonight!

Don't get what you mean here. There're 24 rows to construct modulation routings. This is apart from the 42 EG, 42 LFO and 42 StepGens per-voice, which have seven fixed assignments (Pitch, Cutoff 1, Cutoff2, Resonance 1, Resonance 2, Pan and Amplitude).
    Yes, I mean routings. The Akai Z8 has 28 (I think) sources (LFOs, EGs, velocity, S/H), routable to (I forget how many) destinations (level, filters, start time, zone select). And you can have 64 source->destination routings.

Just trying to visualize it.
    JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 12:41:51 (permalink)
    cmusicmaker
    While information for Rapture clearly exists online do you mean info like this...? z3ta
    Yup. That's more like it! Not as ponderously long as I imagined...

So does something like this exist for Rapture?
    b rock
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 15:28:04 (permalink)
    It takes less time to list them than to program them, surely?
    I'm sure, JS. Like you, I'm a specs guy myself. I don't really want to hear any demos, and I don't need to know what the presets are like. I'd rather have a glance at the tech stuff, and then I can figure out the rest. You realize that we are in the minority with that. As for all the details (the ones that won't show up in any manual), I'm in the process of running through that right now. If I find something useful or unique, I like to drop those tips online. Here's a couple that I just ran across recently:

When you've got both Dimension and Rapture up, you can drag & drop .wavs, .sfz's, etc. between them. not directly from GUI to GUI. Rather, you click on one app's Multisample window, pop up the loading dialog, and drag & drop a file over to the other synth. Either way. Or leave a Windows Explorer window open. The exception is with Rapture's new .sfz file with an embedded audio file. I have a feeling that this exception will change with the new 1.2 DimPro update.

Here's another little discovery. When Polyphony mode is 0 in Rapture (mono & legato), and you have a Scala file loaded in the Element, you can switch between two scales with your performance technique. Legato playing holds the keytracking setting in the Multisample (Edit) window, and staccato playing jumps it to the Scala overlay. Really strange; I like it. With the right Scala file [like 12(+1) keys spread over 3 oct.], instant Keith Emerson.

Let's see: (referring back). Yes, Rapture is multitimbral over six elements: MIDI channels 1-6. And in your host, (I assume) you can define many more MIDI routings than the 24 Matrix ones. Exposed automation parameters contain many unique destinations unavailable to the Matrix, and can be MIDI Remote Controlled. Plus MIDI Learn. Multiple sources with a single destination, or the reverse of that.
    lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 16:55:14 (permalink)
    Yes, Rapture is multitimbral over six elements: MIDI channels 1-6.
    Is there a conflict here with DPs multitimbral lock down to ch1-4?
    b rock
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/21 17:46:37 (permalink)
    Not really, Trevor. You and I use Project5 (among others), so I'll detail the process in that. Would it have be easier with selectable MIDI channels in multitimbral mode? Sure. FR. But the workaround isn't that difficult. Here's one scenario:

You want live input or pattern clips to take advantage of all 10 elements of Dimension Pro and Rapture. Both reside in adjacent tracks, and both are set to multitimbral mode in Options (second icon of four; each app).

In the Dimension Pro track, create 3 additional layers to the track [four total]. In Rapture: 5 more Layers. This makes everything easier to see, and gives you a separate Track Inspector for each of the 10 elements. Set up the following in the tracks & layer:

1 Dimension Pro [Track] Input MIDI ch. 1 Send To: ch. 1
    1.1 Layer 1 Input MIDI ch. 2 Send To: ch. 2
    1.2 Layer 2 Input MIDI ch. 3 Send To: ch. 3
    1.3 Layer 3 Input MIDI ch. 4 Send To: ch. 4

2 Rapture [Track] Input MIDI ch. 5 Send To: ch. 1
    2.1 Layer 1 (Rapture) Input MIDI ch. 6 Send To: ch. 2
    2.2 Layer 2 (Rapture) Input MIDI ch. 7 Send To: ch. 3
    2.3 Layer 3 (Rapture) Input MIDI ch. 8 Send To: ch. 4
    2.4 Layer 4 (Rapture) Input MIDI ch. 9 Send To: ch. 5
    2.5 Layer 5 (Rapture) Input MIDI ch. 10 Send To: ch. 6

10 separate MIDI channels in, and re-directed to the proper Elements in each synth. That's just one example, but there's all sorts of Port settings that can keep things separated as well. In the example above, you can switch MIDI transmit channels on your controller, and access any of the 10 elements in turn. Combinations are about as easy. Or enable the MIDI Override, have it follow track selection (in Options), arm everything to record, and jump around the tracks/layers with the Qwerty Up & Down arrow keys while you record.

OK, one unrelated neat-o discovery: I thought that Rapture's little "waveform" display next to the sample name just had a few preset graphics that reflected what "type" of file was loaded. That would've been cool enough. But it is actually a display of your current waveform: a smaller version of what you would see in your audio editor!

It changes directly with your Multisample loading, and reflects each loaded file's actual "shape". This is more than just handy; you can pretty much tell from a glance what you have loaded. Super cool little feature.
    JazzSinger
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/22 03:11:34 (permalink)
    Hi b rock!
    The exception is with Rapture's new .sfz file with an embedded audio file.
    Oh, no. Sounds like .sfz is on its way to being just yet another monolithic structure. Do you know why this change was made?
    When Polyphony mode is 0 in Rapture (mono & legato), and you have a Scala file loaded in the Element, you can...
    This sounds interesting - will try it in DimPro tonight.
    DP does not have portamento?

Ha! I accept that as ahomework assignment for me tonight!
    I wasn't able to figure it out. :(
    cmusicmaker
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/03/22 03:24:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JazzSinger

cmusicmaker
    Yup. That's more like it! Not as ponderously long as I imagined...

So does something like this exist for Rapture?

No idea sorry. Maybe in future? A good deal of information is available on the Cakewalk site but not quite as detailed as Z3ta. Maybe not enough people see the reduced information as a big enough problem for Cakewalk to change it. I think the Dimension Pro page has a similar info layout to Raptures, maybe that is why Rapture has a bit less detail than say z3ta in terms of specs.

Craigs Pro review is a pretty good way to get any additional answers to the responses you have got here. If you have not already done so it may be a good idea to head over there and ask him some of these questions as well. Up to you really. I think he may wrap it up soon.

Having said that, Rene as the developer is the best source of info. Also as you can see, b rock is always happy to help as well.
    Frunobulax
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/04/09 14:01:38 (permalink)
    Just bumping this since I see that Craig has added some more comments to his review thread, including how he used the StepGens to get wavesequencing kinds of sounds:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6cd73837f0a276b925a56068e0171508&threadid=1188738
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/04/09 21:43:45 (permalink)
    Yea, I'm a stat guy, too. Examples are just that, can't use 'em so what is the point. Next best thing to actually having the hard/software in my monkey little paws are the stats. Most synths sound pretty good these days so are separated by some feature. And most, esp. the pay ones tend to have many similiar features - 12 or 24 slop filters, lots of waves, multi-point envelopes, arps, etc. et al. Hopefully there is something that separates the wheat from the chaff.

While I'm not that interested in sound examples, I love it when people say how they are using synth X. See your own posts. And Craig's .wav examples of stuff he's talking about - that works better than a blank slate of sound.

Maybe when we get the preset post going everyone should be encouraged to have a text file, too. This was what I was trying to do and this is why or how I use the preset I'm giving away. Might be interesting to watch an idea develop that way.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    RE: Craig Anderton Reviewing Rapture on Harmony Central 2006/04/16 00:24:32 (permalink)
    Hi everybody! A few comments...

First, the Rapture review is FAR from wrapping up. Unfortunately I made the mistake of starting it before the Frankfurt trade show, which was unusually intense for me this year (in a good way, but intense nonetheless). So the review sort of came to a halt for a while, but it's back and I have a few surprises coming up :) Note to self: Don't start a Pro Review unless I have six uninterrupted weeks in front of me...

Re Dimension Pro/Rapture comparisons. Please, if you have a problem with the review ask your question there or it won't get answered (and I'm not going to answer it here, because I think any questions would be of interest to others reading the Pro Review -- they might not know about this thread). And also, bear in mind that a Pro Review is a progression of learning about something. A few weeks ago I was a Rapture newbie and didn't feel comfortable giving an "authoritative" DP vs. Rapture comparison. I know a lot more about the two now.

Also bear in mind that I double on guitar and keyboards. DP vs. Rapture is kind of a Les Paul vs. Strat thing. You can look at the stats all you want (different neck radius and scale length, single coil vs. double coil pickups, etc.) but in the end they don't tell you about the "feel" of the two instruments, which is a factor here. Of the two, Rapture is more to my liking because it's all about taking minimalist raw materials and wringing every last ounce of sound out of them. DP is fine, but for sample playback, there are a lot of other good programs. I will say, thought, that the DP engine is a big deal: The drum sounds don't "thud," they "crack" - beautiful transient response and clarity.

Overall, Rapture intrigues the hell out of me. I come up with things I don't think I can do with it, then find out there is a way to do what I imagined. The Wavesequencing is an example of that.

Anyway, glad there's interest and PLEASE, participate in the thread!! There are some fascinating comments in this thread and I wish they had appeared in the Pro Review. Remember, a Pro Review is at its best when it's interactive.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1