total noob questions about Dimension on OS X

Author
davein3d
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/03/19 13:21:47 (permalink)

total noob questions about Dimension on OS X

After installing dimension on a mac, I was told the installation was done, and was prompted to reboot. I did so. Now how do I make it go? How do I launch the DP interface? I see plenty of shiny new plugins in my library folder, but no real way to get at them. I tried deleting /Users/<me>/Library/Caches/GarageBand/com.apple.GarageBandAUs.plist and launching garage band, but see no new instruments,plugins, or options.
post edited by davein3d - 2006/03/19 16:48:31

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: total noob questions about Dimension 2006/03/19 13:35:13 (permalink)
    I want to help, Dave, but I'm way out of my field of expertise and memory span with a Mac question. What are you using as a host application for the plugin?
    Edit: Oh. Garageband? See what I mean? Someone who knows how to help will be along shortly ...
    <Psssst. Chad. You're on ...>
    post edited by b rock - 2006/03/19 13:44:05
    wgcabp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1171
    RE: total noob questions about Dimension on OS X 2006/03/19 22:31:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: davein3d
    After installing dimension on a mac, I was told the installation was done, and was prompted to reboot. I did so. Now how do I make it go? How do I launch the DP interface? I see plenty of shiny new plugins in my library folder, but no real way to get at them. I tried deleting /Users/<me>/Library/Caches/GarageBand/com.apple.GarageBandAUs.plist and launching garage band, but see no new instruments,plugins, or options.

Dave, I'm a bit out of my element here as well, but I found one or two things on the web that might help. This is a quote from the GarageDoor Site HERE-CLICK

-----
    Finding the Audio Units in GarageBand

Select a new Software Instrument, or choose "Track Info" from the menu, and go to Details. Instruments will then show up under Details: "generator", and effects show up as "Audio Unit Effects" just below that, in the effect selection bar. You can add as many instruments and effects to GarageBand as you like.

Audio Unit plug-ins are added to your Mac's Mac HD/Library/Audio/Plugins/Components.

-----

So without having the GUI in front of me, it appears that you can create a new track in Garage Band, go to Track Info -> Details and your new Software Instrument will be available to you there. I have no way of confirming this or indeed do not know if this is truly the way that it should work with Dimension Pro; but it is a place to start.

Also, you may already have this, but a Garage Band Quick Start Guide is available in PDF HERE-CLICK Thumbing through it helped me get a basic understanding of the app in just a few minutes, so you probably already have it!

I am truly hoping someone comes along with some more detailed help for you soon.

WC

davein3d
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: total noob questions about Dimension on OS X 2006/03/20 01:38:41 (permalink)
    Aha! "Details" was the magic word I needed to hear.
    It's amazing that so much cool stuff can hide behind such a tiny little triangle.

ThankyouThankyouThankyou!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1