[track] Saharran Star

Author
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
2006/03/23 23:13:19 (permalink)

[track] Saharran Star

Click here to listen to an Saharran Star. An electronic jobber.

This was the first song I did from beginning to end in P5V2. Any comments are truly welcome.

have a good one
3Eo

20 Replies Related Threads

lost sheep
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/24 07:59:16 (permalink)
    I've got some good news and some bad news for you... which do you want first... oh it doesn.t matter I can't wait I've got work to do...

The good news: great sounds, very pop, a nice set of patterns all working together and a clear mix

The bad news: Feels too long, the intro is stretched to the limit. At 5:32 it is quite long for the genre. But it could just be my age and my attention span getting shorter.
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/24 11:43:11 (permalink)
    Lost Sheep,

Thanks for the news. That intro might be why I'm not getting too much news about the song over at the song forum? You know my gut told me the intro was a little long but the critical thinking prbably got in the way. I'm glad you enjoyed 7 of the 12 tones I chose from the antiquated western so called "musical paradigm."

Thanks for the reply.

have a good one
    3Eo
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/25 18:46:23 (permalink)
    3eo,

so I guess you've heard from others that this takes too long to get going. I'd have to agree with them. your choice of sounds was interesting. to my ears this had a real video game feel to it. lots of bleeps, buzzes and swooshes. I like your judicious use of delay in places.

one comment I'd make is the melody lines seemed too constrained to me. perhaps that's the effect you were going for, but I kept anticipating that the melody would bust open a little wider than it did.

thanks for sharing 3eo.

eric
    crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/25 21:08:17 (permalink)
    3EO,

For my composition taste this is what I think could make this and future tracks better. But really it is what it is and you made it so take it for what it's worth.

1. It does take a while to take off the first few bars arent too bad cause you added elements each time but there seemed to be entire 16's with no progression.
    2. I think you could have used some fills more to transition to each bar.
    3. Other than that near the end you really go everything going good. like around 4:30.
    4. maybe let your melodies carry the song for a few counts and bring it back in.

those are all just ideas but good job.

three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/26 00:12:50 (permalink)
    I am so grateful for the comments.

The intentions behind the track were to make a happy dance song w/out using common conventions like an arpegiator or trance gate.
    I put that long intro in hopes that a dj somewhere on this planet would be able to judiciously spin the track. I kept the intro because when the song was nearing completion the imagery I had created in my mind begged for it to stay.
    You see, I kept having these thoughts of a childlike star at the crossroads of consciousness. The thoughts taking control of the child and the true wonderment and joyful abandon of childhood getting left behind. So in the end the intro represented a moment of loneliness due to realizing the expansive nature of the world. Similar to waking up from a nap and for some reason or another the world just seems different but only your perspective has changed. The track teeters between childhood frolicking and thoughtful introspection returning to the beginning, keeping in mind that this a child that is a star.
    Once again I do appreciate your comments.\

have a good one
    3Eo
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/26 14:06:58 (permalink)
    a dance song without trance gate and arpeggiator?? SACRILEGE I SAY!!!

Good try though! I have to congratulate you on composing a FULL song. TOugher than it looks isnt it!?

I absolutely fell in love with ALL your hooks! That said, maybe there was too many! INtro wasn't overly long IMO but the song was....just need to take advantage of more proven trance/dance concepts (like arp and gates...sorry!)

The song really needs to gel more. YOu had too many good ideas but they were separate songs I think. Anyways, I'm proud of you bro! This was good!!!
    blipp
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7006
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/26 15:03:46 (permalink)
    Reading through the other posts it seems that all the major criticisms have been pointed out and i do agree with them, but having said that i did find myself enjoying it more than i anticipated after the first minute or so. There are some nice choices of sounds and they interplay nicely with each other and at times the overall sound can be hypnotic. it's got an 80's industrial vibe, but that's mainly atributable to the driving beat and the odd metalic hit here and there. Musically it's not really developed enough to have a stong enough emotional effect on most listeners, but that's probably not what you intended anyway reading your last post, and it really does have a childlike sound overall as you intended. Production seemed spot on for the type of track and i've got no complaints there. pretty good for your first complete song, just keep at it and you'll develop quicker than you thought you would. Oh and don't worry about getting little attention in the songs forum as it's pretty rare if any electronic artist does there.
    post edited by blipp - 2006/03/26 15:11:50
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/26 21:15:24 (permalink)
    I posted there in response to the "too many tracks in this forum" thread just to test the waters. Let's just say if the P5 forum wasn't throwing me the line I would have drowned already.

Thanks for the listen & comments.

have a good one
    3Eo
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/26 22:13:55 (permalink)
    intresting....I liked it.

whats up with the long ass begining......

three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/26 23:39:19 (permalink)

Some ppl do concept albums, I attempted a concept intro.
    Thanks for listening.

have a good one
    3Eo
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 00:11:14 (permalink)
    As others have said, it took a bit too long to get where it was going. Also, inner visions are nice and all, but listeners know nothing of your own personal story concerning the song, they just hear the notes. As a studio cheif once said to F. Scott Fitzgerald, "you can't film adjectives."

Sounds / Instruments / Effects: 7.5 (really liked these)
    Arrangement / Notes / Patterns: 6.5 (some were catchy, but overall they didn't necessarily fit well together)
    Vocals: n/a
    Mixing / Mastering / Production: 7.5 (slightly uneven mix, but good overall)
    [5 fair, 7 good, 8 great, 10 floyd]

The song really needs to gel more. YOu had too many good ideas but they were separate songs I think.
    I agree with DA here. A lot of interesting stuff, but not a lot of it gelling together. With time, with time ...

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 01:24:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for listening oroboros. I was hoping to get the "official" P5 forum review.

(some were catchy, but overall they didn't necessarily fit well together)

Ok the song is essentially based on 2 chords, CMajor and I think it's a 1st inversion GMajor (BDG), played in an alberti style. Time to go back to the drawing board on this one.

have a good one
    3Eo

hypolydien
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 12:40:56 (permalink)
    Wow!

A song all built around a major chord, a rare occurence in the electronica world.
    It truly gives it a childlike flavour.

And melodic development work. That is also unusual.

Was the use of augmentations and diminutions conscious? You are using this little C major arpeggio motif, in whole notes , half notes, quarter notes, and eight notes I think. I would have to relisten a couple times to tabulate all the rythmic versions and I am afraid I don't have the time today.
    In the musical analysis business, we call this thematical organic development.

Something you can brag about in coktail parties...

I had fun listening to this, thanks
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 13:39:59 (permalink)
    Was the use of augmentations and diminutions conscious?
    And the answer is.........Yes.

You are using this little C major arpeggio motif, in whole notes , half notes, quarter notes, and eight notes I think.
    I wanted to see how much I could do w/just the 2 chords and the arpeggio. Rhythm and timbre seemed to be the working method for the most part.

Thanks for listening. Now if you and Will could get those P5 music theory tutorials rollin' the world would be a better place.

have a good one
    3Eo
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 14:00:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter

Thanks for listening.

have a good one
    3Eo

I meant it in a funny , sarcastic way..... no harm intended....

three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 14:42:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter

Thanks for listening.

have a good one
    3Eo

I meant it in a funny , sarcastic way..... no harm intended....

Darn it, I was trying to be funny myself.

have a good one
    3Eo
    Jaybee
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 423
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 19:00:29 (permalink)
    I'm trying to expand my musical horizons so you need to know where I'm coming from. I was classically trained in piano and then spent 38 years teaching music in the public schools before retiring 3 years ago. Although I have tried to stay rather up to date in my listening, there are some gaps in my knowledge. This entire realm of electronica is rather new to me and I haven't decided yet how it fits in with my musical tastes.
    That said, I find this piece to be rather intriguing and quite interesting. There is a very logical sense of organization to it, not unlike some of the compositions of the early composers. The many permutations of the C major chord in your construction is clever, almost requiring a listener to try to follow it in other areas of the composition besides the melody. You have obviously put a lot of thought and effort into this piece and you are to be commended for your work. Giving birth to a musical isn't always as easy as Mozart made it seem! :/)
    All in all, I did rather enjoy it and will listen to it again.

Jerry
    Dayton, KY.
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5v2.5, Music Creator 5, Dimension Pro, Akoustik Piano, Battery 3, B4 II, Kontakt 2 & 3, GPO, JABB, CoMB, VDL 2.5, Garritan Authorized Steinway Model D, True Piano
    AMD 64 3500+, 2GB RAM, Audiophile 192

three_eyed_otter
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/27 21:19:00 (permalink)
    Hi Jaybee,

Thanks for the kind words and thank you for listening.

I was classically trained in piano and then spent 38 years teaching music in the public schools before retiring 3 years ago

You should know that I learned the tidbit of knowledge used in the track from a woman who has been playing piano since she was 5 and has a Masters in performance piano from Trinity University in San Antonio, Tx. My point is this, if I can take and use what she gave me and you've got that knowledge already, then you can take what electronic composers like DA, :10: & blipp to name a few have to offer and apply it.

have a good one
    3Eo
    SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/29 01:42:23 (permalink)
    3EO,

Agreeing with the others about the intro. About half the length or bring your first hook in earlier. I like the light, happy, spontaneous feeling here. I found myself smiling a lot while listening. I also would agree with DA that you would benefit from the use of an arpeggiator on the first synth line. It doesn't have to be prominent but it would help the movement of the song a lot. Also the tempo could be quicker for dancing to.

Not quite Floyd material but I really liked it. Thanks.
    Heckxx
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: [track] Saharran Star 2006/03/29 21:22:33 (permalink)
    This song makes me laugh! The extreme major chord-ness reminds me of some funny cartoons.

I think that wind instrument in the right ear sounds odd at times..it seems to be playing thru most/all of the song. To me, it feels like that wind instrument is dictating the chord structure / chord progression (which is allright), but it sometimes conflicts with some of the other ideas you have going on in the middle sections

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1