new emu0404 user

Author
tomwarrior
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2006/03/25 03:35:43 (permalink)

new emu0404 user

is there a patch in patchmix to "record what you hear"?
is the recording level adjustable?
also, for recording guitat(direct and with a mic) and vocals wich would be a better preamp, the beringer tube preamp or their 5 channel mixer?
thanks in advance. sorry for my ignorance. this is my first upgrade.---tom

8 Replies Related Threads

tomwarrior
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/25 15:30:29 (permalink)
    being the impatient person i am i went out and bought a presonus tube pre. this should take care of my recoeding levels.
    can anyone answere my "record what you hear" question? thanks.---tom
    tomwarrior
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 16:10:14 (permalink)
    well, the presonus tube pre didnt live up to my expectations. its too hot for active pickups and the -20 pad only works for the xlr input. vocals actualy sounded worse so its going back monday. can someone please help me select a mixer/ preamp for under $100? thanks.---tom
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 18:18:25 (permalink)
    not sure what you mean, in the patchmix display you can adjust or turn off the monitoring levels for each channel strip. if you want to set up a strip to record from, you need to add a "send" in the box that goes to the ASIO inputs.
    tomwarrior
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 19:51:23 (permalink)
    i dont have any problems recording my guitar, except for the fact that i need help choosing a preamp thats under $100 and kno wone here seems to want to help.

the main problem i have is recording stuff thats already on my computer, such as recording a track to a different track after adding effects. with my old soundblaster card there was a setting in the recording properties that said "record what you hear". i need a patch that will allow me to do that.---tom
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 20:21:53 (permalink)
    tom,

I'm not familiar with your soundcard hardware but sometimes "record what you hear" is called "stereo mix".

What recording software are you using? I know that with Pro Audio 9 (and I'm sure for Sonar, etc.) you can mix down one or more tracks onto a new track with or without effects applied. If you can do that then it's a lot better than recording what you hear which may involve a digital to analog conversion followed by an analog to digital conversion.

--Larry
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 20:22:02 (permalink)
    VTB1 is very nice tube mic preamp for 99 bucks. much better than the little behringer preamp. the big behringer preamp is a little better tube ultragain i think it's called, 2 channel with some low cut controls and tube saturation but those are going for about 130-150 right now. what kind of mic are u using? cheap condensers into cheap preamps usually sound cheap.

you shouldn't need to re-record a track after adding effects, i guess i don't fully understand what you want. but within the patchmix program you CAN redirect the "monitor" output back into the ASIO input if you want. i don't know why you would need to, however. you should be able to apply effects in-place on a recorded clip without making a new track or new clip.

go to the emu website and download the "patchmix for sonar" tutorial and print it out ( it's only 4 pages, i have one right here ) it will explain how to create a channel strip and then choose where the sound output is supposed to go.
    KitC
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 22:55:45 (permalink)
    Even though Emu falls under Creative's administrative umbrella, the Patchmix software does not follow the soundblaster's mixer paradigm. Like larrymcg said, "What U Hear" is a stereo mix that you assign to a track for recording. Patchmix goes one step further because it relies on 'sends'. These sends are like patchcords going into your host software. If you want to record a particular input, insert a send there. If you want to record with Patchmix FX in your track, insert the send after the effects. Putting the send before the effects will make you record dry while making it easy to set up a 'headphone' mix to a vocalist, for example. For the "What U Hear" setup, just insert the send in the Main Inserts (or aux inserts with return set to -132 dB to prevent feedback).

Btw, the Emu does not play well with a blaster in the same computer. You have to remove every last vestige of the soundblaster drivers before you can properly install the Emu. You can find some E-Mu FAQs here.

Kit
    S4.0.4PE, S5.2PE, S6.2.1PE, P5V2.5
    Production Forums
    tomwarrior
    RE: new emu0404 user 2006/03/26 23:50:06 (permalink)
    I know that with Pro Audio 9 (and I'm sure for Sonar, etc.) you can mix down one or more tracks onto a new track with or without effects applied. quote]what you hear which may involve a digital to analog conversion followed by an analog to digital conversion.

im using sonar3. never thought of that before. it makes sense now that when i used to do it with my sb card the sound was degraded. wont be doing that anymore. how do you mix to another track?

within the patchmix program you CAN redirect the "monitor" output back into the ASIO input if you want. i don't know why you would need to, however. you should be able to apply effects in-place on a recorded clip without making a new track or new clip

i used to mix down the tracks with fx to free up my cpu so i could add more tracks without increasing latency. also, what if i wanted to record some steaming audio from the internet? how do i redirect my monitor signal back to the asio input? i already have the patchmix for sonar. it works great for recording with the analog inputs. i will check out the vtb1. thanks---tom
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1