• Total Posts : 526
2006/03/28 09:45:26 (permalink)

Sonar Crashes in Loop mode

Hi,

Before we get started:

Sonar HS4XL
HP Laptop 2.4Ghz/512MB/40G
Tascam US-122

Ok so I have a song that whenever I turn loop mode on, Sonar will crash every time. It doesn't matter if I'm only looping 1 measure or 30. I'm using 5 or 6 softsynths (Synth 1 (2x), z3ta+,& sfz(2x)). Could this be a problem with MIDI feedback looping? I have other ideas what it could be but they're probably wrong so I'll just let y'all set me straight.

Also, when I open the project & play the song for the first time, the audio cuts out each time a new soft synth instance plays. Is this part of the problem as well or do I just need to adjust the latency buffer?

Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Sonar Crashes in Loop mode 2006/03/28 10:34:43 (permalink)
    Is it actually a crash or the audio engine stops (or a dropout). If it is a crash, then it might be a corrupt project, try opening in safe mode and delete one at the time each instance of soft synth and any other plugins you may have until you find out which is causing the issue. If it is a dropout or audio stopped, then first try to see how much CPU power you're using to run all those soft synths in the loop. If the load is high and you're looping, it'll take an extra momentary peak to the processor to maintain playback and loop which may cause the dropout. Try first disconnecting some of the soft synths and see if you get dropouts with less soft synths or at higher latency settings.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Sonar Crashes in Loop mode 2006/03/28 11:32:28 (permalink)
    512MB is probably not enough memory for that many softsynths.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    RE: Sonar Crashes in Loop mode 2006/03/28 12:59:45 (permalink)
    Is it actually a crash or the audio engine stops (or a dropout).

Its definetely a crash...I get the "SONARHS.EXE has encountered a problem & needs to close" error.

512MB is probably not enough memory for that many softsynths.

Yeah, I know I'm probably pushing my poor lappy to the max. However, I did monitor TaskManager last time I tried looping, and Sonar never used more than 25K of memory, nor did it ever use more than 30% CPU.

I'll try the suggestions boten gave me tonight and let you all know what happens. Thanks for your help!
    superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    RE: Sonar Crashes in Loop mode 2006/03/29 09:27:58 (permalink)
    Ok so I took boten's suggestion and disconnected each soft synth and then readded them one at a time. It looks like the offender is one of my sfz instances. I have a drum map assigned to it (using the G&S Custom Works Drum Library).

Anyway, I tried looping one measure, and after 4 loops through the measure, SONAR crashed on me. It almost sounds like my lappy is allocating more memory through each loop and not freeing any up. Any ideas?
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Sonar Crashes in Loop mode 2006/03/29 11:48:24 (permalink)
    Anyway, I tried looping one measure, and after 4 loops through the measure, SONAR crashed on me. It almost sounds like my lappy is allocating more memory through each loop and not freeing any up. Any ideas?

Typically Home Studio does the RAM allocation for each soft synth when you open the project. Then the amount of RAM used by the program doesn't really change. What you need to do first right after you open your project and while you are in playback mode go to the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) , go to the performance view and look how the Commit Peak compares to the Total Physical memory you have. If this number is bigger then you have some paging and based on the load, the system might not be able to handle it. It's typically a good sign to have your Physical Memmory at least 20% over your peak, that ensures smooths processing and avoids application crashing
    post edited by boten - 2006/03/29 11:55:56
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1