Monitor placement - How far apart is correct?

Author
moffdnb
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1332
2006/03/28 16:27:12 (permalink)

Monitor placement - How far apart is correct?

I work mainly a meter or so away from nearfield monitors and my monitors lie on the edges of my PC desk, probably a little less then a meter apart.

When working on panning for my stereo width I'm thinking maybe I could achieve better results with the Monitors further apart.

I know every room is different and space is at a premium for most but whats the general consensus on this?

Ste

5 Replies Related Threads

SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Monitor placement - How far apart is correct? 2006/03/28 16:33:32 (permalink)
    It sounds like you have about the same space as I have. I ended up turning the monitors on their side with the tweeters to the outside. I also use the Auralex monitor pads. The speakers are angled toward me my chair is about the same distance from each monitor as the monitors are from each other. This has been the most likeable situation I've found and the sideways speakers seem to add a little more spread. To each his own.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Monitor placement - How far apart is correct? 2006/03/28 16:34:39 (permalink)
    Setting up nearfields is typically done as an equalateral triangle.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    crimsonwarlock
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Monitor placement - How far apart is correct? 2006/03/28 16:53:01 (permalink)
    AlesisM51
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 623
    RE: Monitor placement - How far apart is correct? 2006/03/28 17:32:47 (permalink)

Ste

Some of the suggestions may work but in all matters having to do with monitors and their amplication I recommend trial and error when first setting it all up. Bottom line: how well is the equipment, the studio and the way it's all set up reflect how the final product sounds, i.e. when played on other equipment?

If someone gives you a workable setup and saves you time and effort that's great. I tend to lean towards experimenting because the differences in equipment (including your ears) and the acoustics of the space are, IMHO too big factors.

Richard
    Ethan Winer
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: Monitor placement - How far apart is correct? 2006/03/29 11:08:47 (permalink)
    > When working on panning for my stereo width I'm thinking maybe I could achieve better results with the Monitors further apart. <

If the goal is wide and accurate imaging, the most important thing you can do is add absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling. These points are about half-way between your ears and the tweeters, as shown in the drawing below. This drawing also shows that the best place for the listening position is 38 percent of the way back from the front wall, with the speakers firing the long way down the room.

--Ethan

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1