Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions

Author
Heckxx
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
2006/03/30 20:29:40 (permalink)

Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions

When I upgraded my P5V1 to P5V2, i was very happy with how amazing the Dimension sampler was. I use it for practically everything..the only sound i don't seem to have a plethora is are the drums. Velocity has a few sets which are good, dimension has alot of cymbals, snares, kicks, whatnot..but I need more. My music is mainly based around realistic drums, but i would use more techno-electro drums if i had more options..

A Few questions...
-does Dimension Pro add alot more drums/drumsets? Ive been thinking of buying that upgrade...
-Are there any good Drum Samplers that anyone can recommend, in the 50-150 dollar range? I was looking at Battery 2 for a little while, and as far as i know..thats the only drum sampler in that price range
-Are there any additional Velocity drum kits i can get out there, or any good stand-alone WAV drum kits?

And i hate loops, all i ever find on websites are drum loops, its been making my search real annoying..any suggestions?

14 Replies Related Threads

SteepLearningCurve
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 281
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/30 21:16:20 (permalink)
    The DR 008 sampler can be downloaded from Fxpansion for 100 bucks. There are also some extra kits available for Velocity at project5.com. I use BFD and I love the acoustic sounds. I also tried the demo for GURU from Fxpansion and was impressed with the beat making possibilities but it was more for some other styles of music than I make. Great sample collection comes with GURU though. I'm also a fan of FLStudio for layering drum sounds and tweaking them to death. FLStudio Producer edition includes access to many of the Samplefusion samples.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/30 21:25:05 (permalink)
    I use and enjoy LinPLug's RM IV (click me!).
    I know there are some other users who post tracks here who (ab)use it, the thing is you probably want to demo whatever software you might be interested in purchasing.
    JM2CW (just my 2¢ worth)

-MDK

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 00:00:51 (permalink)
    Battery is designed for you to buy the add-ons. IMO you would be better off w/Linplugs rmIV or the long in the tooth DR008. Personally I drool over microtonic. Do not forget the Roland Groove Synth electronic drums already paid for at your disposal.

have a good one
    3Eo
    Heckxx
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 00:02:47 (permalink)
    I do demo the software i can find...the problem is I dont really know where to find any of this software. But thanks for the suggestions so far, ill be checking them out shorttly
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 00:32:58 (permalink)
    We forgot the N-pulse, which most hate, but w/a little dirt and compression it is doable.

have a good one
    3Eo
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 00:50:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: three_eyed_otter

Battery is designed for you to buy the add-ons. IMO you would be better off w/Linplugs rmIV or the long in the tooth DR008. Personally I drool over microtonic. Do not forget the Roland Groove Synth electronic drums already paid for at your disposal.

have a good one
    3Eo

sorry, but I must disagree. but then I use battery on every single song I write. you can get lots and lots of free or almost free samples, and it doesn't take much work at all to make new kits. plus of course they give you lots of really nice kits in the box.
    just my 2cents!

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 01:03:09 (permalink)
    This is your friend!

Use the search facilities to narrow down the type of vst you are looking for...there are plenty of free drum plugins to be found at the above link.
    Heckxx
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 01:09:19 (permalink)
    I actually do use KvrAudio.com searches all the time. Last time i used it i dont remember getting good results, but ill definitely have to go at it again.

The only reason i dont want free plugins, is because i want something thats moderately professional, and that someone who got paid actually put some work behind it. Drums are still hard for me to work with (EQ,compression, tones, pitches, etc), so i like it when professional software makes it easy to use efficiently. But i dont want to spend 300 bucks on one piece of software

I also like software that i can get at academicsuperstore.com ...since i am a student and even though my studies have absolutely nothing to do with music, i can get some pretty sweet discounts, heh

edit: i probably said this already (sorry i tend to rabble on when i write!)...but i would love to have like an ungodly amount of samples, like several gigs of drum sounds/hits would absolutely make my day
    post edited by Heckxx - 2006/03/31 01:17:28
    ecamburn
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1510
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 08:25:33 (permalink)
    Heckxx,

Here's another perspective. If you're on a budget, you have all you need with velocity plus stuff that's freely available.

You can get free wavs here:

http://www.dorumalaia2.com/freerefillswavsamples.htm
    http://www.prodyon.de/nanodrums.htm

nskit is a nice sounding free accoustic kit. you could either just use the wavs or read the soundfont into ds864.

http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_kit7free.html

here are some cheap, but nice sounding one hits - more on the electronic side.

http://www.samplesquad.com/

also, as discussed on another thread you can get a free kit at modernbeats.com. downloaded it yesterday and the wavs from there sound pretty good.

eric

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 08:56:33 (permalink)
    http://www.ultimatesoundbank.com/usb/exec/plugsound3 you could try this. never used it before, but i do use X-treme fx.

I "(ab)use" linplugs RMIV for most of my stuff.

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 09:29:13 (permalink)
    Paying for stuff doesn't always mean you'll get better quality...there are some people out there who are willing to put a lot of time and effort into producing HQ plugins and then give them away. DR-Fusion is a plugin that comes to mind, as does Drumatic and Rhythms...all worth looking into. Microtonic is a cheap drum synth (and it's on offer at the moment, I believe) that is very good.

As to the EQ, compression etc thing: buying a 'pro' sample set or plugin will still require you to do some work on this aspect, no matter how good the person producing it makes it...if anything, an overproduced sample set or plugin can be even harder to work with, as there is little scope for sculpting the sound to suit your track than there is for sets with little production.
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/03/31 09:30:52 (permalink)

it is very worthwhile to learn to get good sounds out of Velocity through the use of separate channels and applying differnt fx to different parts of the kit, even if you do choose to buy another drum sampler or synth

there is pretty much nothing that brings a pro sound to a production more than great sounding drums (unless we're talking brilliantly recorded acoustic instruments (esp acoustic guitar) and voice)

so learn to split the kick, snare and hihats and other into separate channels and apply
    kick -- compression
    snare -- compression, touch or reverb and/or distortion
    hi-hats -- flanger or phasor
    other -- ???

much of the point of an expensive package like Battery (and probably RMIV) is a lot of this can be done inside the synth itself
    DR-008 has a very usable interface. I picked it up on a blow out clearance for $50.00 some time ago. The pronlem with DR-008 is that its drums kits sound very dated by this time.

I really like using microTonic. It's a drum synth (rather than sampler) with a lot of easy to use features for creating and triggering patterns and individual hits. But you have to like the sound of synthetic drums.

and don't overlook the use of FLStudio simply as a drum machine -- it also has its own particular sound of semi-processed drums, but it's very easty to slap together a set of drum sequences and it works flawlessly as a vst inside P5.

I picked up battery as part of the NI Komplete package and I have to say I really enjoy Battery 2 version, but if I hadn't gone down the NI Komplete package I was definitely leaning toward RMIV -- it has a very clean usable interface and lots of nice sounds.

but maybe you shouldn't listen to me cause somehow I've gotten further and further awy from using drums

three_eyed_otter
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/04/01 00:56:03 (permalink)
    Have you tried the Roland Groove Synth Device Chains?

have a good one
    3Eo
    Heckxx
    RE: Need more Real (and Synth) Drums...suggestions 2006/04/01 02:26:56 (permalink)
    You mean the drums in that Roland Groove instrument? I almost never use that thing cuz alot of the sounds sound real bad to me in that, heh..ill check it out tho

As of right now tho...im leaning towards getting the Battery 2 sampler. 3.5 gigs of samples. Tons of filter/eq/tweaking options. And i can get it new for 99 bucks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1